September 28, 2024, 07:24:32 PM

1,531,325 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I'm completely fucked so teach me calculus

Started by Mando Pandango, November 18, 2009, 01:10:29 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Mando Pandango

Basically I have a test friday on series and I don't know a damn thing about them. I know that's my fault, but just teach me everything about series, or point me to sites that explain how to do it with relative clarity. Textbooks don't help because they're all WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS WORDS.

Help.
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Socks

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Socks on November 18, 2009, 01:16:23 PM
i can't do numbers  :(
Good news! Calculus is mostly letters from two different alphabets!
Quote from: Magyarorszag on August 22, 2018, 10:27:46 PMjesus absolute shitdicking christ, nu-boyah

Socks

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on November 18, 2009, 01:17:03 PM

i cant do numbers with letters either  :(

Walter

Just use the textbook sheesh.

EDIT: Or at least give us examples and specific topics from the book so we can help you understand it.

??????

i can't do math
i bet socks is better at it than I am n___n

Mando Pandango

I'm not kidding when I say I need to learn everything.

What are the different kinds of series? What are the equations I need to know? What are the methods to solving them? You don't have to go in depth I just need enough to do fairly well on a quiz.

And again, if you even know of a site that can teach me this, that would be good too. I just need to learn this.

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on November 19, 2009, 02:29:21 PM
I'm not kidding when I say I need to learn everything.

What are the different kinds of series? What are the equations I need to know? What are the methods to solving them? You don't have to go in depth I just need enough to do fairly well on a quiz.

And again, if you even know of a site that can teach me this, that would be good too. I just need to learn this.

What kind of series? Series of infinite rectangles to find area? Power series to represent functions based on chains of antiderivatives?

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on November 19, 2009, 02:32:50 PM
What kind of series? Series of infinite rectangles to find area? Power series to represent functions based on chains of antiderivatives?
Chapter 12: Infinite sequences and series

I know she was teaching power series but it all went over my head so just start there because I know that will be there.

Sections in the chapter are sequences, series, integral test and estimates of sums, comparison tests, alternating series, absolute convergence and the ratio and root tests, strategy for testing series, power series, representations of functions as a power series, taylor and maclaurin series, applications of taylor polynomials.

Do what you can.

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on November 19, 2009, 02:37:32 PM
Chapter 12: Infinite sequences and series

I know she was teaching power series but it all went over my head so just start there because I know that will be there.

Sections in the chapter are sequences, series, integral test and estimates of sums, comparison tests, alternating series, absolute convergence and the ratio and root tests, strategy for testing series, power series, representations of functions as a power series, taylor and maclaurin series, applications of taylor polynomials.

Do what you can.

I'm tired, so instead I'm going to tell you the tool that got my classmates through what was an essentally self-taught calculus class: MIT OCW.

Watch these videos while taking serious notes:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-01Fall-2006/VideoLectures/detail/embed37.htm
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-01Fall-2006/VideoLectures/detail/embed38.htm

And revel in the fact that you now know what the fuck is going on.

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on November 19, 2009, 02:46:57 PM
I'm tired, so instead I'm going to tell you the tool that got my classmates through what was an essentally self-taught calculus class: MIT OCW.

Watch these videos while taking serious notes:

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-01Fall-2006/VideoLectures/detail/embed37.htm
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Mathematics/18-01Fall-2006/VideoLectures/detail/embed38.htm

And revel in the fact that you now know what the fuck is going on.
I love you but he just went off for a second about higher mathematics in the first video about when 1 is not greater than 0 and my head exploded so I think I'm done.

[spoiler]not really. this is actually pretty damn helpful[/spoiler]

The artist formally known

Quote from: Man of Popsicle on November 18, 2009, 01:17:03 PM
But those letters represent numbers.

Mando Pandango

So even though I was sort of prepared today, it turns out the test is on Tuesday. HILARIOUS!

At least I have time to adequately prepare.

Mando Pandango

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on November 20, 2009, 01:23:20 PM
Are you using the Larson textbook?
My textbook says it was written by James Stewart. I've never heard of a single-author textbook before. Odd.

Go Up