March 28, 2024, 03:19:42 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Is being gay a choice or a genetic trait?

Started by hotlikesauce., November 15, 2009, 09:06:53 AM

previous topic - next topic

Is being Gay a choice or a genetic trait/defect?

A Choice
3 (14.3%)
Genetic Trait/Defect
6 (28.6%)
Enviromental Factor
12 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Go Down

Minus;

Daddy

Minus;

Sa Da MA

Its a Choice. I drink plenty of water and I haven't changed my sexuality.
[spoiler]But I'm still a virgin. >.<[/spoiler]

Hippopo

Quote from: justjack on November 15, 2009, 10:32:54 AM
No. Its an ongoing thing that will never completely engulf the population, or completely die down.
It will be something that will just vary, like being left handed or something.
Haha.  :)

Genes that prevent reproduction generally die out of the population rather quickly.  Genes that promote survival and reproduction stick around.  Being left handed doesn't really affect survival or reproduction, so it isn't a factor in natural selection...  But I'm not sure if they have even proven that left handedness is entirely genetic either...

Anyways, I definitely don't think it's a choice.  I chose to love women..  But it didn't work.  I'm still gay...

*shrug*

One of my professors has been doing research on gay sheep for a long time.  She swears it's actually genetic because she has found physiological differences in the brains of gay sheep and straight sheep. I haven't looked into the research, so I can't say anything specific...

Daddy

Quote from: Hippo P. Otamus on November 15, 2009, 04:06:28 PM
One of my professors has been doing research on gay sheep for a long time.  She swears it's actually genetic because she has found physiological differences in the brains of gay sheep and straight sheep. I haven't looked into the research, so I can't say anything specific...
That doesn't necessarily imply genetic causes though. Factors in the development of the fetus(hormone levels, temperature, food, etc) can also effect the brain of the fetus.

Pregnant smokers
Zinc and/or alcohol intake

and several others have exemplified this.

YPrrrr

Sigh... I wasn't implying water changes sexuality i was merely saying chemicals can mess with genes with prolonged exposure over generations and generations

Minus;

Quote from: YPR on November 15, 2009, 04:45:29 PM
Sigh... I wasn't implying water changes sexuality i was merely saying chemicals can mess with genes with prolonged exposure over generations and generations

Its okay

Selkie

I believe it can be either genetic, environmental, or a mix of both.

Because there is a big difference between gender differences and sexuality differences, and gender is what is shaped by society. There are plenty of flamboyant straight guys, and body-builder gay guys.

Also there is the concept of DNA problems like a "male" having an XY chromosome, but their body not responding to testosterone. I don't see why it can't have something to do with that.

hotlikesauce.

Quote from: Selkie on November 16, 2009, 02:26:23 AM
I believe it can be either genetic, environmental, or a mix of both.

Because there is a big difference between gender differences and sexuality differences, and gender is what is shaped by society. There are plenty of flamboyant straight guys, and body-builder gay guys.

Also there is the concept of DNA problems like a "male" having an XY chromosome, but their body not responding to testosterone. I don't see why it can't have something to do with that.

What, like Klinefelter's? Although that's XXY.

??????

Daddy

hotlikesauce.

Minus;

Daddy

Go Up