April 18, 2024, 11:24:54 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Bombing the moon

Started by Daddy, October 08, 2009, 10:38:22 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Andria

Bombing the moon?  baddood; that sounds like a good way to send chunks of space rock hurdling into the earth causing the next mass extinction

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: Echo on October 09, 2009, 12:47:09 AM
Bombing the moon?  baddood; that sounds like a good way to send chunks of space rock hurdling into the earth causing the next mass extinction

Um.

So let's assume the rocket hits the moon with force Frocket, where Frocket=a fuckton = 26.54 shitloads. the force will be directed at one point in the nearly spherical moon, with enough energy to vaporize a good deal of shit near the moon, turning it into dust. The dust poses no threat to us.

Any fragments of which you speak would be propelled away from the the explosion, i.e. away from earth, increasing their radius in the universal gravitation equation. And...that shit'll orbit. Anything massive enough to harm us will stay in orbit, anything smaller will be attracted, and do little more damage than a satellite falling. There really isn't much chance of a mass extinction from the moon, even if the moon is mostly broken and not mostly incinterated; universal gravitation is our fried.

Much worse would be the effect on the tides, which would destroy ecosystems and homes, and generally cause shit to hit the proverbial fan.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Bushy

@pokemonyewest on Twitter

Thyme

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on October 09, 2009, 12:53:00 AM
Much worse would be the effect on the tides, which would destroy ecosystems and homes, and generally cause shit to hit the proverbial fan.

But we'd get a ring, Pqqu. I think all of that would be worth it for an awesome planetary ring.

A RIIIINNNGGG THE POWER OF GOD

Zach

Quote from: Alyssa the Glowing Sole on October 09, 2009, 12:30:15 AM
We think that one of the moons of Jupiter is filled with organisms, and what's more they're developing biological weapons , so we're going to impose sanctions on it and insult its culture until it's class of lower organisms creates an uprising against the elite.

well the idea there is that we drill a hole in the surface, which is solid ice, and send shit down to search for extraterrestrial sea life

this is sending a fucking bomb into the moon

Has anyone else realized that JMV was making an interstellar analogy to the US involvement in the middle east

rdl

Wait, are you fucking serious?

Why wasn't I informed?

Quote from: RDX on October 09, 2009, 03:47:01 AM
Wait, are you fucking serious?

Why wasn't I informed?

terrorists

SPACE PROGRAM

happydood;

Zach

isn't there a way to do this without bombing the moon

edit: after reading an article about it, this is pretty much what happens with space rocks a few times a month anyway

Selkie

Great, we're now destroying a landmass we don't even live on yet.

Travis

Quote from: Selkie on October 12, 2009, 06:31:28 PM
Great, we're now destroying a landmass we don't even live on yet.
welcome to 3 days ago

and it's not "destroying"

j o e i n c

why not just blow the whole thing up, it's not like it's ever done anything for us

bluaki

Is this really any significant damage to the moon? doodthing;

From what I've heard, it's just a little impact of a high-speed probe crashing into the pole to scatter some dust to examine for water particles. An impact which will only make yet another smallish (~60ft?) crater on the mass of hundreds of thousands of craters. But what I don't get from that is why something like drilling isn't better.

ME##

Quote from: bluaki on October 14, 2009, 10:17:05 AM
Is this really any significant damage to the moon? doodthing;

From what I've heard, it's just a little impact of a high-speed probe crashing into the pole to scatter some dust to examine for water particles. An impact which will only make yet another smallish (~60ft?) crater on the mass of hundreds of thousands of craters. But what I don't get from that is why something like drilling isn't better.

Because bombing the moon sounds much cooler.  akudood;

Cookie

I bought two acres of the moon of Lunarembassy.com They better not bomb my part of the moon Q('_' Q)

Go Up