May 02, 2024, 11:08:31 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Ubuntu

Started by strongbad, September 15, 2009, 08:22:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

?????

Quote from: justjack on November 28, 2009, 03:36:32 PM
Ohh i get you.
And yeah i wanted to install an operating system that was ALL media player.
But i didn't really look into it, or how you would do that...

You mean a computer for music, videos, pictures, et cetera? I've heard MythBuntu is pretty good, you might want to check that out. Oh, and there's also an OS called LinuxMCE. I haven't heard anything about MCE though.

Or do you just want something to share files to all your computers? If you want that you could setup SAMBA, or create a webserver. Whatever floats your boat.
Die for Dethklok

Minus;

Quote from: TheSequel on November 28, 2009, 03:41:06 PM
You mean a computer for music, videos, pictures, et cetera? I've heard MythBuntu is pretty good, you might want to check that out. Oh, and there's also an OS called LinuxMCE. I haven't heard anything about MCE though.

Or do you just want something to share files to all your computers? If you want that you could setup SAMBA, or create a webserver. Whatever floats your boat.

I heard of mythbuntu just never looked into it...
Instead what i ended up doing was...when ubuntu karmic came out, i formatted my computer, and reinstalled windows vista, and the new version of ubuntu, and reinstalled the dell media direct partition too.
So now when i want to use it i click the little button and it boots into an OS for just video music and pics.
But i don't like it very much and wish there was a better one. So ill see what i can find eventually....

the shortest route to the sea

I have the best opportunity to build a server ever: my mother wants a box in the kitchen, so she can watch TV and switch to using the internet if she wants to. So I figure, make a server box; it'll at least do the internet stuff she's asking for, plus it'll be a media server for me. It's my Christmas present for her, plus my dad'll buy all the parts as long as I keep it reasonable. Nice, huh?

I would like this secondary laptop to really just be vlc, or equivalent, capable of playing streams and items on the server.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

?????

Also if you add a tv tuner to the server I think you might be able to get TV too. Or add a tuner to the box in the kitchen that works too... By box you mean computer right?

Btw if you do get a tuner card you'll need a cable box to decrypt/unscramble premium channels (whatever channels aren't free including fx, cn, TNT, Nick, etc.)
Die for Dethklok

the shortest route to the sea

Quote from: TheSequel on November 28, 2009, 06:11:10 PM
Also if you add a tv tuner to the server I think you might be able to get TV too. Or add a tuner to the box in the kitchen that works too... By box you mean computer right?

Btw if you do get a tuner card you'll need a cable box to decrypt/unscramble premium channels (whatever channels aren't free including fx, cn, TNT, Nick, etc.)

Yes, computer = box. She wants a flatscreen thingie, so I figure she'll have a flatscreen with a video input for the computer. By pressing "Video 1" it'll go to the computer and have her stupid internet. Meanwhile, it will house all of my music, so I can beam it all about the house.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Go Up