April 19, 2024, 08:31:24 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

whats the harm?

Started by reeper, August 30, 2009, 03:41:41 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

There is a difference between religion and doing something bad in the name of it.

Quote[citation needed]

Well, you sure are pushing that whatever you're saying is correct. That's generally why anyone would push their beliefs - to get the other person out of theirs.

In science classes, you learn that you have bone marrow inside your bones. This is regarded as a fact because scientists have researched it. Have you ever cut off one of your limbs to look for the bone marrow? Can you prove from your own experiences that you have bone marrow and that is a fact?

Too many facts we do not discover ourselves; we learn them from others. How do you know that all of these people sharing these tidbits of "facts" aren't lying? How do you know that your skull is white and not green, or that your heart isn't spherical?

You just can't stop human nature. If people are not going to blindly believe in god, they can still blindly believe that god is false. There's many kinds of people in the world, and no matter how much you try, the elements of faith and belief exist in all of us. Believers take comfort in feeling that there is a god above them. Non-believers take comfort in that they have rejected religion.

I'm pretty sure you're not really taking in much I'm saying. I'm talking abstractly here. But to get answers, you must ask questions, and you must re-evaluate everything. Everything I'm saying could be wrong, but it could be right. If you're going to believe in something, believe that people have their ideas, you've got yours, and there's no need for placing your ideas above theirs.
I support BUSH

Daddy

Quote from: coz on September 11, 2009, 08:56:27 PM
There is a difference between religion and doing something bad in the name of it.
Yet when they do something bad in the name of it we aren't allowed to say anything because "lol militant atheism"

QuoteWell, you sure are pushing that whatever you're saying is correct. That's generally why anyone would push their beliefs - to get the other person out of theirs.
The difference being I don't threaten and I provide facts.

QuoteIn science classes, you learn that you have bone marrow inside your bones. This is regarded as a fact because scientists have researched it. Have you ever cut off one of your limbs to look for the bone marrow? Can you prove from your own experiences that you have bone marrow and that is a fact?

doodthing;

I stopped taking you seriously here.

QuoteToo many facts we do not discover ourselves; we learn them from others. How do you know that all of these people sharing these tidbits of "facts" aren't lying? How do you know that your skull is white and not green, or that your heart isn't spherical?
I've seen skulls and other bones.
I've seen images of my heart.

QuoteYou just can't stop human nature. If people are not going to blindly believe in god, they can still blindly believe that god is false. There's many kinds of people in the world, and no matter how much you try, the elements of faith and belief exist in all of us. Believers take comfort in feeling that there is a god above them

As I said before....actually, I'll quote Marx:
"religion is the opiate of the masses."

QuoteNon-believers take comfort in that they have rejected religion.
oh you are such a jokester

QuoteI'm pretty sure you're not really taking in much I'm saying. I'm talking abstractly here.
Yeah, I stopped taking you seriously after the bone marrow argument.

QuoteBut to get answers, you must ask questions
Hey isn't that like me repeatedly asking for actual evidence of God existing that isn't the BIble?!?
Quoteand you must re-evaluate everything. Everything I'm saying could be wrong, but it could be right. If you're going to believe in something, believe that people have their ideas, you've got yours, and there's no need for placing your ideas above theirs.
Ideas that are the result of scientific processes are generally more educated, more well-formed ideas.

you seem to be posting a lot for not giving a fuck

sans culottes

Well, I guess it's not worth arguing anymore.

I don't belive in god. Some people do, and some of those people are good people. Criticize the wrongs of religion, go ahead. I'll be with you there. But you can't just slam religion completely. Why not just encourage the devoutly religious to look at positive ideals of the bible, like loving everyone and being equal under god?

Also, my bone marrow arguement is pretty unrealistic, I know. But what if everyone's lying to you? What if the world and everyone popped up two days before you were born and everything is a lie? It wouldn't make any sense. But there's a possibility of anything.

Religion is simply a part of sociology. It's something that can be used for terrible things and great things as well.
I support BUSH

rdl

Wow it's nice to see that JMV loves me so much that he takes stabs at me in (almost) every post he's been making.

QuoteI'll refrain from using actual facts and take the approach I normally get and make shit up on the fly and provide no citations. I mean that will be far less annoying not having to back up anything I say ^__________^
But the point is that not every little thing has to be turned into some fucking huge fight. I'm not saying that you need to make shit up in order to support your argument, I'm saying your argument shouldn't even exist.

This isn't about your cherished little "facts". This is about you arguing over everything you see.

Quoteand your belief that science can answer anything
I know from your earlier comment that you view facts as a bad thing, but would you like to link to where I claimed this?

If science can't answer everything then what else can?
And I'm not going to go hunt down sources for every thing I say. This argument isn't a big deal to me. My purpose for this whole thing is to tell you to just shut up and let people do what they want to do.

QuoteThe islam your forced down your throat?

that's funny because the reason why you're so damn stubborn and close minded is because you shoved atheism down yours.

btw jmv what you stated there isn't a fact, it's an assumption. a false one at that. how dare you say something that is not factual.

Quotei'm obsessed with using facts rather than unquantifiable claims. a simple solution is for people to provide me with such. then we all win
jmv, remember when i brought up some study by the who and the cdc saying that gay buttsex has a greater chance of giving you aids versus vaginal sex? and how you told me "durr hurp i dunno i dont believe those studies are true" and i was like, "but it's the fucking cdc"?

your view of facts is incredibly subjective. i can probably find facts to support either side of any argument, but if i truly want to convince myself that one side is correct i'll ignore the other side and focus on mine. dont tell me you're just being rational. you're not. you're the least rational person i know.

Quotei dare you to use a comma next

;,;

Anyway, I'm done here. Like, for real. You're probably just going to write something totally retarded in response to this about how much you love facts and how I'm a hater, and I don't care enough to reply to it.

And for the record I'm not pissed or anything. I just think you act retarded too often and you don't realize how much of a hypocrite you are when you're harping about radical religious folk who force their beliefs on people.

Ezloﺕ

Quote from: coz on September 11, 2009, 06:07:19 PM
thanks for the obvious, bro
so your body would rot no matter what hurr durr derp
:)

Daddy

September 11, 2009, 10:46:37 PM #65 Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 10:53:18 PM by JMV
Quote from: RDX on September 11, 2009, 10:21:28 PM
Wow it's nice to see that JMV loves me so much that he takes stabs at me in (almost) every post he's been making.
You've been the first person I've personally encountered who actually criticized someone for using facts. <3

QuoteBut the point is that not every little thing has to be turned into some fucking huge fight.
like what

QuoteI'm not saying that you need to make shit up in order to support your argument, I'm saying your argument shouldn't even exist.
I can't let you do that, Dave.

QuoteThis isn't about your cherished little "facts". This is about you arguing over everything you see.

Why is facts in quotes? Are facts bad? OH wait, 72 virgins and some one eyed thing.

Not really everything. Just when people bring up their myths and pass them off as facts.

QuoteIf science can't answer everything then what else can?
It's science's job to attempt to explain everything and if it can't, to try to explain it the best it can.

Not everything needs "lol answer", and definitely doesn't need a god to fill in the blanks.

QuoteAnd I'm not going to go hunt down sources for every thing I say.
i wonder if sources would cut down my possible arguments :O

QuoteThis argument isn't a big deal to me
you sure are investing a lot of time in it.

QuoteMy purpose for this whole thing is to tell you to just shut up and let people do what they want to do.
Fe-y

Quotethat's funny because the reason why you're so damn stubborn and close minded is because you shoved atheism down yours.
Jesus.fucking.christ.   Watch this video again. Goddamn you are a damn moron.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T69TOuqaqXI[/youtube]
How many fucking times are you guys going to go 'LOL HURP DURP YOU REGJECT MAH RELIGION EVEN THOUGH YOU REALLY HAVE GIVEN THOUGHT TO IT U R CLOSE MIND BUT MINE IS OPEN EXCEPT THERE HAS TO BE A GOD THAT IS ONLY EXPLANATION' god damn.

Quotebtw jmv what you stated there isn't a fact, it's an assumption. a false one at that. how dare you say something that is not factual.
i'm sure mommy and daddy would be thrilled if you were an atheist. and don't you dislike facts

Quotejmv, remember when i brought up some study by the who and the cdc saying that gay buttsex has a greater chance of giving you aids versus vaginal sex? and how you told me "durr hurp i dunno i dont believe those studies are true" and i was like, "but it's the fucking cdc"?
Because there was an equal amount of studies, even by the same organizations that stated otherwise. And it was related to circumcision not anal sex.

Quoteyour view of facts is incredibly subjective. i can probably find facts to support either side of any argument, but if i truly want to convince myself that one side is correct i'll ignore the other side and focus on mine. dont tell me you're just being rational. you're not. you're the least rational person i know.
yeah i'm so irrational that i believe that people come back from the dead.
wait

but really I've been provided with no facts suggesting that God exists other than "lol read da bible", I've repeatedly asked for such. Don't blame me blame yourself and the christians who bitch about such yet know they have yet to attempt to do so.

rational:
Quoteconsistent with or based on or using reason; "rational behavior"; "a process of rational inference"; "rational thought"
intellectual: of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man"

Asking for evidence is not being irrational.

You go to court and accuse someone of murder. For evidence you present  "he has scratches on his hand signifying a struggle while strangling the victim".  The defense provides a rebuttal "My client works in an animal shelter with abused cats and was scratched trying to rescue a cat".

Why is it irrational and closed minded to expect the same, if not more, standard of reason when questioning the existence of God?

"God created the world in 7 days and man from dust"

Rebuttal:
'Life began as a result of abiogenesis wherein nucleotides trapped in dense bubbles began to duplicate themselves and 'eat' eachother via osmosis, evidenced by such a recreation in a lab, it then furthered its development through evolution using natural and sexual selection'

Such a view is not irrational or closedminded.  It's the opposite, really. Requiring evidence for such creates a basis of reason.

Quote;,;
omg

QuoteAnyway, I'm done here. Like, for real. You're probably just going to write something totally retarded in response to this about how much you love facts and how I'm a hater, and I don't care enough to reply to it.
aww man

p.s.: dear everyone. I would like to state that President Obama, John McCain, and I are all unicorns from Jupiter. Please do not be closed minded and ask for evidence and reject this hypothesis. Have an open mind and accept this.

thank you, the unicorns for an open mind society

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Isn't that where the whole "faith" thing comes in?

Regardless, I cant really understand the amount of hostility being thrown around.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Son Of Stallion Vol.13 on September 11, 2009, 11:48:39 PM
Regardless, I cant really understand the amount of hostility being thrown around.

It's just a dire need to be correct.

Daddy

Quote from: Son Of Stallion Vol.13 on September 11, 2009, 11:48:39 PM
Isn't that where the whole "faith" thing comes in?
yes.

however, rejecting "faith" isn't being closedminded like he claimed.

Being closed-minded is being presented with evidence of something that you may not believe, and refusing to consider it.

It is not being closed-minded to not consider such when you are provided with no reasonable evidence.  The other way around seems to make him look closed-minded.  Being presented with arguments backed by evidence contrary to what he believes and going "neenerneener not listening atheist have an open mind" is closed minded. i really fail how see how he can accuse someone of being closed minded for rejecting an argument with no evidence to back it up  while simultaneously rejecting scientific fact with observable and recreatable evidence because "faith" requires none.

QuoteRegardless, I cant really understand the amount of hostility being thrown around.
srs

But really "hey i hate when jmv brings up atheism so let's bring up religion and then ask jmv not to express his opinion while i get to express mine xD"
Quote from: Kaz on September 11, 2009, 11:59:38 PM
It's just a dire need to be correct.
I propose confining Galileo to his home.

fun fact: OS X's spell checker doesn't recognize Galileo as a word.

Samus Aran

Quote from: JMV on September 12, 2009, 12:02:39 AM
But really "hey i hate when jmv brings up atheism so let's bring up religion and then ask jmv not to express his opinion while i get to express mine xD"

that's not it at all psyduck;

Bolivian Army

guys i thought this finished what the hell

Donate now to the Guff Is Great foundation. baddood;

Samus Aran

Daddy

Quote from: Kaz on September 12, 2009, 12:09:26 AM
that's not it at all psyduck;
Find a thread in which I attacked religion that does not meet the following :

1. In serious discussion (obvious why)
2. Not in reply to what I find to be a stupid action motivated by religion (e.g. RDX and Kaz bitching at me in Veal's thread when Veal further explained it later and I dropped the religion thing until others, specifically you brought it up)
3. uh i can't think of 3 so there you go 2 requirements. oh within the last year. Don't go pulling up a 2 year old post i made to troll a select 3 users.  baddood;

go
Quote from: Bolivian Army on September 12, 2009, 12:10:51 AM
guys i thought this finished what the hell
i'm not really sure what they're trying to get at now i'm just waiting for kaz to read my post lol
p.s. i'll see you behind the lobby ;)
Quote from: Kaz on September 12, 2009, 12:11:49 AM
apparently not
hmm did you read my post

Samus Aran

Quote from: JMV on September 12, 2009, 12:15:59 AM
Find a thread in which I attacked religion that does not meet the following :

1. In serious discussion (obvious why)
2. Not in reply to what I find to be a stupid action motivated by religion (e.g. RDX and Kaz bitching at me in Veal's thread when Veal further explained it later and I dropped the religion thing until others, specifically you brought it up)
3. uh i can't think of 3 so there you go 2 requirements. oh within the last year. Don't go pulling up a 2 year old post i made to troll a select 3 users.  baddood;

go

you only said this because you know full well that i don't have that kind of memory or patience

Daddy

Quote from: Kaz on September 12, 2009, 12:26:31 AM
you only said this because you know full well that i don't have that kind of memory or patience
so you have memories of me doing stuff but you are suddenly blanking on when i do it.

that is funny kaz

Go Up