When cars become more efficient government might tax you by how far you travel

Started by reeper, August 27, 2009, 10:12:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Do your have a source on that?

Also, depending on how the taxation works I don't necessarily see a problem with it.  Roads are government owned and it promotes upkeep.

However, it has to be carefully balanced because taxing the poor at the same rate as the rich means are you restricting the travel of those who can't afford it as easily as those who can.

and wait, isn't that what they do now?  Each gallon is taxed a certain amount. The more you travel, the more gas you use, the more gas you use, the more tax you pay.

A more efficient car still pays tax, but it doesn't pay as much as it uses less fuel. That seems fair.  baddood;

Zach

Completely against. We're already effectively taxed for travel through the gas tax, anyway.

reeper

Quote from: JMV on August 27, 2009, 10:41:57 PM
Do your have a source on that?

Sadly not a good one but it is a thought that occurred in my head. click. If we switch to electric cars (lol never going to happen) then we will still have to be taxed to pay for the roads we travel on.

sans culottes

I wouldn't want this tax until the government sets up better public transportation. Some of you guys can get around fairly well with just your feet and some form of public transportation. I live in the 4th largest metropolitan area in the country and I still can't get anywhere without a car.
I support BUSH

YPrrrr

I already have to pay tolls when I drive out to wisconsin, I don't want to pay any more than that

?????

I like how people complain about roads and shit but don't want to pay taxes. How the fuck do people expect states to maintain their shit? I would support this kind of tax (assuming it isn't an extravagant amount and would go towards maintaining roads)
Die for Dethklok

strongbad

YPrrrr

Quote from: StrongBad007 on April 12, 2010, 06:58:19 AM
They should do it right now so more people ride bikes.
I will pay any amount of tax to avoid riding a bike

Zach

Quote from: StrongBad007 on April 12, 2010, 06:58:19 AM
They should do it right now so more people ride bikes.

I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but I'm opposed to the idea of government forcing lifestyle changes via taxation.

Socks

Quote from: Zach on April 13, 2010, 09:48:40 PM
I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but I'm opposed to the idea of government forcing lifestyle changes via taxation.

so many have been throughout the millennia.

strongbad

Quote from: Zach on April 13, 2010, 09:48:40 PM

I'm not really serious, but I do wish that riding bikes was more acceptable as a form of transportation.

hotlikesauce.

Yeah. There's already a gas tax, and there's tolls on some roads. That's dumb. Isn't the upkeep supposed to be from current tax dollars anyways?

Daddy

hotlikesauce.

Quote from: Khadafi on April 18, 2010, 02:13:53 PM

i wonder what those two imply

Yeah, I know. I'm saying there's already an unnessecary tax. When cars become super efficient that should just get rid of a tax on any type of fuel.

Go Up