April 18, 2024, 05:38:51 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

healthcare reform???

Started by j o e i n c, August 21, 2009, 01:30:42 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

l a c e y

Quote from: Satellite Anthem Icarus on August 22, 2009, 04:35:31 PM
Why don't we just extend Medicare to every citizen like Canada?

Because you suck.

Zach

Quote from: j o e i n c on August 22, 2009, 10:04:13 AM
i say get rid of public schools, etc

THE WAY THE FOUNDESR INTENDED!!!

Well, sort of.

The federal government doesn't have the power to regulate the schools. Since the Constitution doesn't list it as a federal power, it is automatically delegated to the states. The Department of Education should be abolished and control of the schools should be returned to individual states.

j o e i n c

Quote from: Zach on August 22, 2009, 07:58:03 PM
Well, sort of.

The federal government doesn't have the power to regulate the schools. Since the Constitution doesn't list it as a federal power, it is automatically delegated to the states. The Department of Education should be abolished and control of the schools should be returned to individual states.
yeah i imagine that would work real well

Daddy

Well, I just got my bill for my physical last month and here is how it breaks down.

DescriptionTransaction Fee TotalInsurance Amount
Established Pt Eval 18+ Years$190.00$165.00
Limited Exam Pt$80.00$80.00
EPSDT service$15.00$15.00
Venipuncture Finger Stick$13.00$13.00
CBC with diff and platelet auomated.$35.00$35.00
Cholesterol, serum, or whole blood, total$19.00$19.00
Lipoprotein HDL$30.00$30.00
Acoustic Reflex Testing$35.00$35.00

For about 45 minutes in the doctor my total bill is 417 dollars. Luckily I had insurance, which covered all but $25.00.

For people who go LOL TOHSE ARE FAIR PRICES: The "acoustic reflex testing" is  basically taking a handheld machine, putting part in my ear, and pressing a button. It takes two minutes. There's no way that costs $35.00

Our current system is broken and it should be obvious how inflated the costs are.

Zach

I don't think that anyone is arguing that reform isn't needed, just that a government plan isn't the best idea. I don't mind talking about reform, but I am in support of private insurance. I'm not into a public option.

l a c e y

j o e i n c

l a c e y

Quote from: j o e i n c on August 25, 2009, 09:27:56 PM
i wish i was in BC

No you don't. Too many pakis there. The only good thing is the BC Bud.

j o e i n c

Cookie

I always wondered why not make it optional? Sign up on a form and if you agree that you want it, you and the others that agree pay the tax that funds it for you. If you say no, you can pay for it yourself. I honestly don't want it, but I can understand why people would want it. Once my parents stop paying for my health insurance (next year) I doubt I will get health care, just because I've only had to go to the doctors once because I was sick which was when I was really little, and only go on the occasional check up. People like me who don't give a fuck about health care shouldn't have to pay taxes for it. But at the same time I see how economical it would be if there was a government health care plan. But I see health care as a privilege, not a right that I have.

Zach

Quote from: Cookie on August 27, 2009, 06:24:09 PM
Once my parents stop paying for my health insurance (next year) I doubt I will get health care, just because I've only had to go to the doctors once because I was sick which was when I was really little, and only go on the occasional check up.

Pretty much the same here. A lot of the uninsured people cited by proponents of government-run health care are people like you who could probably get coverage but don't want it. Many more are illegal aliens, meaning that the number of people who truly aren't capable of getting health insurance is minuscule, and they likely get all sorts of government benefits anyway.

Daddy

Uh, I feel like smashing my head off of a wall after reading that.

Health insurance companies have been known (i.e. common practice for them) to collect on premiums for years but once the person actually needs expensive care, dropping the person due to "a pre-existing condition" or anything similar.

Allowing for public care, in addition to private insurance fixes that.

Zach

Quote from: JMV on August 27, 2009, 06:34:37 PM

Health insurance companies have been known (i.e. common practice for them) to collect on premiums for years but once the person actually needs expensive care, dropping the person due to "a pre-existing condition" or anything similar.

I'm really conflicted about the public option, because I don't like the idea of forcing taxpayers to cover the uninsured, but I really feel bad for the people who can't afford health insurance. The main problem for me is paying for the people who can buy their own health insurance but would switch to the government plan.

Cookie

Quote from: JMV on August 27, 2009, 06:34:37 PM

I'm sorry :(

And I get all that, possibly create hefty fines for companies that practice this?

Daddy

Quote from: Zach on August 27, 2009, 06:44:42 PM
I'm really conflicted about the public option, because I don't like the idea of forcing taxpayers to cover the uninsured, but I really feel bad for the people who can't afford health insurance. The main problem for me is paying for the people who can buy their own health insurance but would switch to the government plan.
Under a single-payer system that wouldn't be a problem.

Each hospital would receive a set amount for service.

Also wouldn't switching to the government plan be "the free market" working? They don't like the price and service offered by a private company so they go with the government's offering.

That would be like arguing that people who can afford UPS and Fedex shouldn't use the USPS.

Go Up