Because I don't know anything about TVs...

Started by Samus Aran, August 17, 2009, 09:11:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

Quote from: Hïro on August 17, 2009, 11:08:35 PM
Progressive scan means the whole image is much more clear. A digital tuner is the tv tuner, for the channels. Remember the whole big digital tv switch that happened a few months ago?

i have cable anyway, i don't live so out in the middle of nowhere that i was ever affected by that switch to totally digital

Nate

This displeases me. I paid a little under $600 for my 32 inch LG TV. Then again, I got it quite awhile ago.

I haven't had a single issue with de-syncing or anything of that kind with my TV. Like everybody else said make sure the TV has at least 2 HDMI ports, a d-sub connector for computer, etc.

The artist formally known

Quote from: Nate on August 18, 2009, 04:56:34 AM
This displeases me. I paid a little under $600 for my 32 inch LG TV. Then again, I got it quite awhile ago.

I haven't had a single issue with de-syncing or anything of that kind with my TV. Like everybody else said make sure the TV has at least 2 HDMI ports, a d-sub connector for computer, etc.
I paid a lot more than that, then again my TV is 1080p with a really good frame rate, not that I can tell but it's nice to pretend I got a good deal.

Nate

Quote from: reefer on August 18, 2009, 04:57:56 AM
I paid a lot more than that, then again my TV is 1080p with a really good frame rate, not that I can tell but it's nice to pretend I got a good deal.

My TV only goes up to 720p. With one HDMI port. lol

Quote from: Nate on August 18, 2009, 05:01:30 AM
My TV only goes up to 720p. With one HDMI port. lol
Sadly those HDMI hubs are expensive and probably junk.

Samus Aran

Educate me some more, guys. What does HDMI stand for, what does it mean, why do I need it, why do video game consoles come with HDMI hookups these days, why do I need 2 instead of 1 HDMI ports on a TV, etc.

Anything 32 inches and below probably won't even come with 1080p.

DVI ports are for computers, they're like the new VGA cables.

Quote from: Kaz on August 18, 2009, 01:13:45 PM
Educate me some more, guys. What does HDMI stand for, what does it mean, why do I need it, why do video game consoles come with HDMI hookups these days, why do I need 2 instead of 1 HDMI ports on a TV, etc.
Xbox 360 (newer ones only) and all PS3s have HDMI ports. Think about them as the newest most best AVI cables. They do audio and video at 1080p.

Get at least two of them, you won't regret it if you get a PS3 in the future or have a 360 with HDMI ports.

It's the port at the bottom middle.

Though I never cared to ask but it stands for High-Definition Multimedia Interface.

Samus Aran

is Insignia really that bad lol

people also seem to dislike Dynex quite a bit

Kalahari Inkantation

Quote from: Kaz on August 18, 2009, 05:44:11 PM

Or, you can get a brand you've actually heard of for the same price.

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3920261&CatId=3648 n_u

ME##

Quote from: Kaz on August 18, 2009, 05:44:11 PM

Both of them are owned by Best Buy, so I wouldn't imagine their quality differing all that much. befuddlement

The only Dynex product I've used is a Wi-Fi adaptor for the other desktop downstairs, it isn't great and is rather annoying [I've had to uninstal it and reinstal it several times in the past two months because it just stopped working]. n_u

Samus Aran

Quote from: Tc on August 18, 2009, 05:55:31 PM
Or, you can get a brand you've actually heard of for the same price.

http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3920261&CatId=3648 n_u

Oooh, I like it. But where do composite video plugs go in? There is no yellow port next to where the composite audio can go in.

befuddlement

ME##

Quote from: Kaz on August 18, 2009, 05:59:30 PM
Oooh, I like it. But where do composite video plugs go in? There is no yellow port next to where the composite audio can go in.

befuddlement

It doesn't appear to have a composite in. befuddlement 

Samus Aran

Quote from: Дави́д on August 18, 2009, 06:04:55 PM
It doesn't appear to have a composite in. befuddlement 

Which means I can't use my old consoles on it without some sort of an adapter that I'm sure must exist somewhere out there.

I mean, other than the lack of composite possibilities, it looks fine to me. Just need something with composite, at least one of them. Preferably more than one if possible obviously.

Go Up