March 28, 2024, 03:02:43 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Mars

Started by Dullahan, August 16, 2009, 05:36:37 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dullahan

Do you honestly believe that there would be the possibility (if not, probability) to people like us would be able to walk on Mars? And in the future of that, do you believe that people like us would be able to live on Mars?

I personally believe in that. I do doubt that it will happen in our lifetime, but I don't doubt that someone could walk on the surface itself. I remember watching a video in grade 6 saying that the atmosphere on Mars was suitable for people to live in - however, there is no oxygen. So it just made me think, what gives us oxygen? Trees. If there was some way that we could plant a forest on Mars, do you believe that someone would be able to walk on it and breathe? I know that saying that is way too much. First off, we need to consider the fact that it takes seven months to reach Mars from the Earth, so you'd need that much worth supply of food and water. Plus you need a certain amount of food and water for the time being of when you plant the trees. Then you need seven months of supply again for the way home.

But after all that, there would be oxygen under an atmosphere that a human might be able to live under. I'm not sure about the rotation on Mars, so the answers for how long days and nights go are not available under my perspective. And I'm not sure how much longer a year runs. It might be colder because it's further from the Sun. And I don't know how smooth the weather goes. But think of how much we would accomplish as people when we finish all this. The planet has the tallest mountain in our solar system. One thing I wonder about standing on Mars is how big the Sun would be in diameter compared to the size in diameter on Earth. Not positive if Mars has any moons, either.

However, what I'm saying is nearly impossible to do because of the amount of food and water would just be too much for a device to carry out in space. So we can imagine taking this to the next step: a machine that works like a tree. I'm not very much into pneumatics, so I'm not sure if the possibility of that machine could be possible. But if it is, forget the trees and you could send millions of those machines to Mars and if they're efficient enough, they could turn Mars's carbon dioxide into oxygen.

I am, however, curious onto what else we might have to work on in order to live on Mars. I know it's years ahead of our time. If it's possible, of course. But when I saw this video, it actually made me think about this for so many years and I'm still thinking about it now. It's just an interesting thought to imagine two terrestrial planets in our solar system that have life. And it would be such an amazing accomplishment. I doubt we'll ever live to see it though.

Daddy

Don't be silly. If God wanted man on Mars he would have created us on Mars, not the earth.

Days on Mars are slightly longer than those on Earth (24 hours 37 minutes or so).

From what I read before they could send a probe to Mars with a large chunk of the food supply before the astronauts arrive so it's already there for them.

also ill reply after im getting IMs.

Dullahan

Quote from: Khadafi on August 16, 2009, 05:46:29 PM
From what I read before they could send a probe to Mars with a large chunk of the food supply before the astronauts arrive so it's already there for them.
It's not just food, but also medicine and whatnot. And what if an astronaut gets ill? What do they do? Take a doctor with them?

Quote from: Khadafi on August 16, 2009, 05:46:29 PM
Days on Mars are slightly longer than those on Earth (24 hours 37 minutes or so).
But don't forget, days on Earth aren't exactly 24 hours either. So I would assume to match up with Earth's time, Mars would have to lose a few days in one year.  akudood;

Selkie

Of course it's possible, It's even probable. It's our next destination in space, isn't it.

If you told a person from the 1800's we built a ship and went to the moon, would they ever believe you? Probably not.

Dullahan

Quote from: Selkie on August 17, 2009, 06:27:43 AM
Of course it's possible, It's even probable. It's our next destination in space, isn't it.

If you told a person from the 1800's we built a ship and went to the moon, would they ever believe you? Probably not.
Probably. Seeing as how we can't go on Venus yet because of it's climate.

sans culottes

We could definitely make Mars habitable, but now isn't the time. We gotta get shit done here on Earth, y'know?
I support BUSH

Chōshū

It's definitely possible, but it would not be an easy task.  Personally, I don't think the colonization of Mars, or even the process of terraforming will start for at least another hundred years.  Probably much more....

Earth is the home of the homo-sapien species.  This...is where we evolved.  It's our home.  If we were to survive on the Martian surface, we'd need to change it to be more like Earth.  One factor is filling the atmosphere with powerful greenhouse gases.  We wouldn't be able to survive on Mars if the ultraviolet rays pierced the atmosphere.

idk there's a lot of factors to cover.

But while we're on this note, I think it's also possible that humans could one day colonize Titan and Europa. 

Go Up