April 17, 2024, 08:27:57 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Vinyls and phonographs

Started by Samus Aran, August 13, 2009, 11:02:25 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Hiro

I really need to get a record player, I even have a fresh vinyl  :(

famy

I have a few Prince albums on vinyl, For You, Prince, and Around the World In A Day.

My brother used to DJ (well, he still does) and he had a lot of records and he left a lot of them here, they're mine now. Old school stuff that was used for breakbeats, I don't completely remember everything but I remember a few Earth, Wind & Fire albums, Planet Patrol's album and some other electro shit, Commodore's Machine Gun, Life After Death, and other rap stuff that was popular in the mid 90's. ];

idk the record player broke a month or two ago, i would use it sometimes

Cookie

Yeah I have a really old one I got at a yard sale awhile back for $5. It was really cool for the first 6 months I had it but after awhile I stopped using it that much. I still play it sometimes, most of the bands I listen to still put their music on vinyl so its pretty cool.

sans culottes

Hey Kaz, thanks for reminding me to listen to ELO. Listening to A New World Record on vinyl, shit's tight.
I support BUSH

jerk1

i've got a good 60 electronica records with 2 turntables that I do use regularly. I got a led zeppelin record.....or is it pink floydd I'm blanking right now but a friend gave it to me.....but also I have a bunch of mars volta vinyl from way back when I actually listened to them religiously.  i have frances the mute, and then 2 picture discs one with televators
and the other with inertatic esp and they both have something on the otherside but i cant recall.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I have an old record player that has four legs and you slide a door open to get to the turntable.

As far as the records go, I've got some Tom Petty and a few nugent albums. Also, I've got the original Star Wars soundtrack (came with a poster heheheh) and The Rutles. Not much else that's noteworthy, they were all free.

Local record shop has some Tom Waits and "Remain in Light" by Talking Heads, maybe one day I'll pick them up.

reeper

Bump

My mom gifted me a turntable for my wedding this year, she had setup the album Tapestry by Carole King for me and my now wife. I'm not sure if it was just a magical moment for us or that the first track, I Feel the Earth Move, was just that fucking good.

Anyways she gave me the turntable and let me borrow some my dad's records. Currently have the Carole King album, The Wall by Pink Floyd, Animals by Floyd, Agents of Fortune by Blue Oyster Cult, Led Zeppelin IV, and my wife had asked for The Wild Heart by Stevie Nicks.

Lastly my wife was playing the new Lady Gaga album Chromatica a lot on the day of our wedding when she was getting ready, since it came out the day before. I had attempted to buy the album for her when we got home on Vinyl but all the copies locally were warped beyond pliability. I ended up returning the warped copy and bought it from Urban Outfitters since they have a limited edition and found a promo code.

By the way I ended up getting a replacement needle for my earlier turn table however I later realized that there was no dust cover and the unit wasn't in great condition anyways. I ended up selling it a few years ago. Also I never even received a good working needle, the one I had to jerry-rig to fit the unit. I have to say, though I don't have a lot of experience, this brand new turntable is much lighter and seems to be more friendly too.

Samus Aran

ew 2009 kaz was really out here calling records "vinyls"

that record player i had back then was shit btw

YPrrrr

I inherited a bunch of records from my parents including multiples for the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Elton John, Bruce Springsteen, David Bowie, Michael Jackson and Queen. I wonder how many are actually the original pressings. A bunch still have posters inside the sleeves. Should really frame some of them.

So that's pretty dope. Adding them to our own collection we started after I bought Nicole a record player.

I would really like marijuana to be legalized sometime in the near future to add some zest to the record listening experience

reeper

Quote from: Samus Aran on June 05, 2020, 12:52:13 AMew 2009 kaz was really out here calling records "vinyls"

alling them vinyls not cool? i only seem them referred to as vinyls when i search them online

tbh i thought 2009 kaz was cool

Samus Aran

Quote from: reeper on June 05, 2020, 11:19:14 AM
Quote from: Samus Aran on June 05, 2020, 12:52:13 AMew 2009 kaz was really out here calling records "vinyls"

alling them vinyls not cool? i only seem them referred to as vinyls when i search them online

not sure if it's cool or not, i just hate calling them that. and i mostly only see people who aren't really "in the know" referring to them as such.

just doesn't really make sense - vinyl refers to the material (polyvinyl). they're vinyl records, or records.

reeper

Quote from: Samus Aran on June 07, 2020, 11:27:33 PM
Quote from: reeper on June 05, 2020, 11:19:14 AM

not sure if it's cool or not, i just hate calling them that. and i mostly only see people who aren't really "in the know" referring to them as such.

just doesn't really make sense - vinyl refers to the material (polyvinyl). they're vinyl records, or records.

oh yeah i refer to them as vinyl records when starting a new conversation about them, especially with people who i don't know or don't know that i have started listening to vinyls.

then i just get lazy and call them vinyls once they're queued in. calling them records just feel like im not expressing the archaic-ness of the format.

yeah i get that though, i don't like calling mechanical pencil material as lead, as it is graphite. but had to say lead many times since people just don't know.

silvertone

irl i usually refer to records as tapes

YPrrrr

We can call cassettes tapes and records vinyls but no one ever calls CDs polycarbonate plastic :/

strongbad

I used to love records when I would have people over more often. I think looking through the records, and then putting one on based on the limited collection is kind of a fun social exercise. Moreso than just choosing something to stream. But now I live in a 1 bedroom apartment and we usually just meet people out and about instead of having people over. I've thought about selling my collection just to free up space but I'd like to think that they'll get more use some day.

Go Up