April 17, 2024, 05:46:36 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Vinyls and phonographs

Started by Samus Aran, August 13, 2009, 11:02:25 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Samus Aran

I just got a free old phonograph/double casette/CD combo stack with big huge speakers from a relative today. It was tough lifting that damn thing into the van, but it was worth it.

Currently listening to Led Zeppelin IV on vinyl, and unfortunately this particular record seems a bit warped and overused, as "Black Dog" is just very slightly too low pitch (though still fucking awesome), and "Rock and Roll" fades in and out. Too bad. But at least I have the album on vinyl in the first place. Crossing my fingers for Dark Side of the Moon being in better shape, I'm about to try it.

So, does anyone else here own any vinyls? Better yet, does anyone else actually have a system to play them on? And do you still do it regularly?

hocuspocus;

reeper

Well that was the big problem with vinyls, it's hard to get them to sound exactly the same with each person's setup. Sometimes the tempo was too fast on someone else's and stuff like that.

I have a turntable but never went out to get a needle, any suggestions for a place to look?

sans culottes

I've got about thirty vinyls, twenty of 'em which were my dad's. I enjoy hearing vinyls, but I really just collect them to have 'em. New vinyls have a very good sounds, but old vinyls are a little weak. All of mine are old 'cause new ones are expensive. I also hate having to screw around with tone knobs and stuff to get the right sound, and my fifty-dollar record player isn't anything too special.

I prefer listening to CD's and stuff because you always get the great sound, but I love hearing vinyl from time to time.

Also, I really hate those hipster fuckers who think they're so cool because they only listen to vinyls. They hear someone talk about how the sound is better, so they buy a Coldplay album and feel cool 'cause they're hearing it on vinyl. Personally, hearing anything made after the 80's on a vinyl ruins my retro experience.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Now that I've tried three different vinyls, I'm pretty much certain that it's the player that's causing problems, because everything is just slightly too slow. Makes me wonder if it's the belt...I've heard a bit of grime on record player belts can cause things to slow slightly. Or who knows, maybe something else is wrong. Could be any number of things. Maybe it's simply that the RPM on this player is slightly inaccurate.

Reefer, I have no idea where to get new needles for record players.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

I have well over a hundred vinyls sitting around, but they're back at my parent's house where my turntable is. I've been meaning to move it over here for some time now.

I go to flea markets all the time and most often there's someone selling mountains of them for nearly nothing.
I've got really all the classics including some far out beatles bootlegs.

I've bought some newer ones,maybe three or four,  but I tend to avoid spending more then fifteen bucks on one.

Obviously sound quality is lacking unless you enjoy the cracks and pops, which I do for a select few like a really old django reindhart album I have and this really really cool speedy west one I got last year.

Otherwise, there's really no advantage to doing so.

I love the sleeves though, the main reason I collect them. Some of the art on them isn't really justified by small jewel case inserts.

sans culottes

Quote from: Corporal Clegg on August 13, 2009, 11:58:49 AM
I love the sleeves though, the main reason I collect them. Some of the art on them isn't really justified by small jewel case inserts.
Vinyl sleeves are awesome. I'm thinking about framing one and putting it on my wall.
I support BUSH

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

Quote from: coz on August 13, 2009, 12:05:27 PM
Vinyl sleeves are awesome. I'm thinking about framing one and putting it on my wall.

So are some of the inserts. I have this badass ELO space poster hidden away somewhere.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Corporal Clegg on August 13, 2009, 12:08:29 PM
So are some of the inserts. I have this badass ELO space poster hidden away somewhere.

yay ELO

I have A New World Record on vinyl, haven't tried it out yet. It's one of the ones I always hang up in my dorm room because I love the cover so much.

But yeah vinyl sleeves are awesome, it's nice looking at well-known covers and actually seeing them "close up." You can actually see the art well instead of squinting for details. Makes stuff like Sgt. Pepper worth owning just to look at.

sans culottes

I bought All Things Must Pass which is supposed to have a poster, but mine was used and didn't have the poster inside it. Still a great album.

While I was at that record shop in NYC, I bought this poster.

Fuck yeah, disastorous legendary concert!
I support BUSH

reeper

Quote from: coz on August 13, 2009, 12:38:31 PM
I bought All Things Must Pass which is supposed to have a poster, but mine was used and didn't have the poster inside it. Still a great album.

While I was at that record shop in NYC, I bought this poster.

Fuck yeah, disastorous legendary concert!
Security by Hell's Angels? What the fuck

Samus Aran

Quote from: reefer on August 13, 2009, 12:40:40 PM
Security by Hell's Angels? What the fuck

You've never heard about that story? It was a big deal because it turned into a huge mess and one person got stabbed to death.

QuoteOne major event in Hells Angels' history involved the December 6, 1969, Altamont Free Concert at the Altamont Speedway â,” partially documented in the 1970 film Gimme Shelter[27] â,” featuring Jefferson Airplane, The Flying Burrito Brothers, and The Rolling Stones. The Grateful Dead were also scheduled to perform but canceled at the last minute owing to the ensuing circumstances at the venue. The Angels had been hired by The Rolling Stones as crowd security for a fee which was said to include $500 worth of beer.[28] The Angels parked their motorcycles in front of the stage in order to create a buffer between the stage and the tens of thousands of concertgoers.

Crowd management proved to be difficult: many spectators were injured and four died. One was Meredith Hunter, two others were killed by a hit-and-run driver and the fourth died when he or she drowned in a puddle of water.[29] Over the course of the day, the Hells Angels became increasingly agitated as the crowd turned more aggressive. Denise Jewkes of the Ace of Cups, six months pregnant and on stage observing, was hit in the head by an empty beer bottle thrown from the crowd and wound up in the hospital with a fractured skull.[30]

At the murder trial of Hells Angel Alan Passaro, a security guard testified he heard the Hells Angels being summoned over the loudspeakers when the helicopter bearing The Rolling Stones landed. Debate after the event was over whether or not the Hells Angels were to manage security for the entire concert or just for The Rolling Stones. Sam Cutler, the Stone's agent who had arranged to pay the Hells Angels said their role was as bodyguards to the Rolling Stones. This was denied by the Hells Angels as well as others connected to the event. During the opening act of Santana, the Hells Angels surged into the crowd numerous times to keep persons off stage.[31]

By the time The Rolling Stones took stage, numerous incidents of violence had occurred both between the Hells Angels and within the crowd internally. A huge circus performer weighing over 350 pounds stripped naked and plunged through the crowd. Concert goers attempted to detain him. Several Hells Angels leaped from the stage and subdued the man with fists and pool cues. A crowd of between 4,000 and 5,000 had jammed to the very edge of the stage, and many attempted to climb onto it.[31]

The Angels used sawn-off pool cues in order to control the crowd. After one of the Angels' motor bikes was knocked over, the Angels became even more aggressive, even toward the performers onstage. Marty Balin of Jefferson Airplane was knocked unconscious following an altercation with an Angel on stage as seen in the documentary film Gimme Shelter. The Grateful Dead refused to play following the Balin incident, and left the venue.

A shoving match erupted near the stage during a rendition of the song "Under My Thumb" (not, as is commonly thought, "Sympathy for the Devil"). A concert patron by the name of Meredith Hunter produced a handgun. Hunter was stabbed to death. A Hells Angel member, Alan Passaro, was later acquitted of murder on grounds of self-defense. After the concert and critical media attention given to the HAMC, Sonny Barger went on a local California radio station to justify the actions of the Hells Angels and to present their side of the story. He claimed that violence only started once the crowd began vandalizing the Hells Angels' motorcycles. Barger would later claim that Meredith fired a shot which struck a Hells Angels member with what he described as "just a flesh wound."[32]

In 2005, after a two year exhaustive cold-case renewal of the file, the Alameda County District Attorney's office permanently closed the case. An enhanced and slowed down version of the original film footage was produced for the Police, and after examining it Alameda County Sheriff's Sgt. Scott Dudek said Passaro, who died in 1985, was the only person to stab Hunter and he did so only after Hunter pointed a handgun at the stage where the Stones were performing.

Alan Passaro is the only person that stabbed Meredith Hunter, Dudek said, adding that Passaro's lawyer confirmed his client was the sole assailant. "Passaro acted with a knife to stop Meredith Hunter from shooting."

In addition, enhanced and slowed-down footage from the film shows Hunter brandishing the handgun just before Passaro stabs him.

sans culottes

Yeah, that's pretty much the decision that made it a disaster. Four people died at that concert, there was a lot of fights, and the Hell's Angels beat the living shit out of anyone who screwed around. It was originally expected to be the west coast Woodstock, but it ended up as the event that ended the 60's.
Quote"just a flesh wound."
I lol'd
I support BUSH

burzumfan420

I only have My Bloody Valentine's Loveless on Vinyl, it is differently a much better experience. Vinyls are kind of expensive though and my local mom and pops store doesn't have a great collection. Mostly Dad-rock albums.

snorkel

I have quite a few (mostly local/smaller bands from whom I bought vinyls at shows), and an old Panasonic turntable. I use them when I'm feeling particularly audiophilic, because vinyls + headphones like my Grados is fairly unbeatable

Skylark

Quote from: burzumfan420 on August 13, 2009, 01:21:45 PM
I only have My Bloody Valentine's Loveless on Vinyl, it is differently a much better experience. Vinyls are kind of expensive though and my local mom and pops store doesn't have a great collection. Mostly Dad-rock albums.

Loveless on vinyl would be great.

I have some. Mostly old stuff but I have Elliott Smith's New Moon and Woods At Rear House... and CocoRosie's God Has a Voice She Speaks Through Me.

I feel like if I had my own room I would listen to music more... but I don't.
the book of right on

Go Up