March 28, 2024, 06:14:43 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Mormonism.

Started by Det in F♯ Major, August 11, 2009, 01:16:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Bushy

Like 3 of my friends are mormon, but they're not necessarily practising mormon. But just like the South Park episode they have a game/No TV night.
@pokemonyewest on Twitter

Hippopo

Quote from: colossus supercilium on August 12, 2009, 05:50:16 PM
Like 3 of my friends are mormon, but they're not necessarily practising mormon. But just like the South Park episode they have a game/No TV night.
I grew up in a very Mormon town.  They all had a game/no TV day too... Except it was so extreme, they couldn't have friends over that day.  Plus the first Sunday of every month they had to fast.

My friends tried to convert me in high school, so I talked to the missionaries and went to their church for a while.  I almost laughed when we got into the discussion of heaven...  And when I finally learned about the different worlds, I stopped going completely.

HOWEVER!

The weekly activities were fun, they had strong family values, and the place made me feel good.  I think that's how they suck people in, but the beliefs are nuts.

My first girlfriend was Mormon, and by the time our relationship was over, she had left the church.... Now she is completely dissowned by her Mormon family, but she says it's for the better.

Bushy

Quote from: Hippo P. Otamus on August 14, 2009, 10:43:31 AM
I grew up in a very Mormon town.  They all had a game/no TV day too... Except it was so extreme, they couldn't have friends over that day.  Plus the first Sunday of every month they had to fast.

My friends tried to convert me in high school, so I talked to the missionaries and went to their church for a while.  I almost laughed when we got into the discussion of heaven...  And when I finally learned about the different worlds, I stopped going completely.

HOWEVER!

The weekly activities were fun, they had strong family values, and the place made me feel good.  I think that's how they suck people in, but the beliefs are nuts.

My first girlfriend was Mormon, and by the time our relationship was over, she had left the church.... Now she is completely dissowned by her Mormon family, but she says it's for the better.
Cool story bro. I'd never go to a mormon church, sounds cult-ish to me.
@pokemonyewest on Twitter

Nyerp

i think i'm still considered part of the church LOL

the shortest route to the sea

People make fun of mormons because somehow their ridiculous inception stories and main tenets are less ridiculous than those of the mormon's. Do I believe that god (or one of god's thirds, or wholes depending on THE GREAT MYSTERY (I'm sorry my family's catholic I dislike it) ) screwed mary without taking her virginity to make a semi-divine being, whose rituals of rememberance are eating his flesh and drinking his blood? No. Do I believe Jesus led a group of very devout people to America, disguising the fact that Mormon's popped in the Second Great Awakening and tried to form their own political entity in Nevada? No.

I don't know the dogmatic subtlties of mormanism, so I can't really differentiate it (or claim its superiority) to any other organized religion (besides Unitarinism, of course). I don't mind them. I don't mind catholics either.

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Chōshū

I always find it odd when my Christian friends go "lol those stupid scientologists and mormons, they're so stupid for believing in a false and obviously fake religion."

Most of the time out of courtesy and my anti-interventionist mentality (well, sometimes) I don't say anything; but other times I remind them that they believe that the known universe is 6000 years old and that they follow a religion that says that the Earth is flat and that the sky is a firmament.  Although...most of my friends aren't as philosophical as I am in many respects.  And they're happy with the way that they live their lives, which I can't say for myself.  So sometimes I feel like if they believe something that doesn't harm people, it's fine with me.

l a c e y

There was a Mormon guy on The Real World Brooklyn. It never really said anything about it other than that they weren't allowed to have sex unless they were married. He believe in that hardcore. I think he was gay too, secretly of course.

Daddy

Do you think this means Lee is now a mormon?

silvertone

i think mormons will outlast the state of california

Go Up