April 16, 2024, 02:13:43 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Mormonism.

Started by Det in F♯ Major, August 11, 2009, 01:16:25 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Det in F♯ Major

August 11, 2009, 01:16:25 PM Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 06:54:23 PM by reefer
So, while at camp, I befriended a girl who recently revealed she belonged to the LDS Church. I'm not sure really what Mormons are all about, but I know they have a bad reputation.
Why? Is it for good reason? Or is it just bias like people say Catholics or Jews are insane as well?

Please give actual fact/detail, not just "OMG MORMONS R FAGZ!#!#!$1!!$@!!$!@$"
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Zach

1) They think that you have to tithe to go to Heaven.
2) No coffee, drugs, or tobacco
3) They think that when we die, our spirits are separated from our bodies and if we were good they go to â,"spirit paradise.â, If we were bad they go to â,"spirit prison.â, The spirit world exists as a place for spirits to go while awaiting the second coming.
4) They have an official prophet and consider anything he says to be official canon.
5) They think that Jesus visited the Americas to minister to the Indians.
6) They don't believe in the Trinity
7) Any worthy male can be given the priesthood and is given specific duties. Black people were not allowed to have the priesthood until 1978. Females are not allowed to have the priesthood.
8) They believe in three different heavens.
9) They think that murder is unforgivable.
10) Mormons believe that God created multiple worlds and each world has people living on it. They also believe that multiple Gods exist but each has their own universe. We are only subject to our God and if we obtain the highest level of heaven we can become gods ourselves.

Daddy

Like Zach said, they have/had very racist and sexist doctrines.

Joseph Smith himself engaged in Polygamy and the church condoned such for a while.  There are still a few sects that practice it, marrying off minors to adult men.

Like Jehovah's Witnesses and other hyperreligious cults, they engage in shunning of people who leave the cult.

Det in F♯ Major

I remember something about polygamy that was in the news, this past year, I think it was?
Were those people Mormon?
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Zach

Quote from: Det in Fâ,,¯ Major on August 11, 2009, 02:06:55 PM
I remember something about polygamy that was in the news, this past year, I think it was?

More than likely.

Daddy

It was the FLDS which is a sect of mormonism.

ME##

Quote from: Det in Fâ,,¯ Major on August 11, 2009, 02:06:55 PM

They were an offshoot of the Mormon Church if I recall correctly.

sans culottes

Mormonism overall is pretty stupid. But like all religions, I'm not going to judge followers by it. I don't know any mormons who are serious about it. They grow up with it and all, but they don't seriously think about the weird shit Joseph Smith preached. Like any religion: if you have it, good for you. Just don't be a crazy fucker about it.
I support BUSH

Slim

Well, the entire religion was founded by some "prophet" (read: con-man) from the 19th century. They believe in weird shit like the Native Americans being the descendants of a lost tribe of Israel, which is just fucking crazy. They're probably the goofiest sect of Christianity.

South Park devoted an episode to Mormonism that explains how it was founded. I recommend watching it if you're interested. Full episode here
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

rdl

According to a Mormon I argued with, Jesus is Quetzalcoatl and the Big Bang is a load of bullshi.

So does that mean that they believe that Jesus was a bird?

Nyerp

i remember in church i was like "woah so i could become a god and create planets and stuff??!" and they were like "yeah" and i was like "cool"

Det in F♯ Major

NYERP YOU'RE MORMON?!

Nyerp

Daddy

Quote from: Det in Fâ,,¯ Major on August 11, 2009, 04:25:05 PM
NYERP YOU'RE MORMON?!
His family is. Nyerp doesn't believe in a god, IIRC.
Quote from: Nyerp on August 11, 2009, 04:29:30 PM
yeah i have a mormon, what about it
lol

Travis

is that why he has like 5 siblings

Go Up