April 18, 2024, 08:00:09 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Supposedly great albums you just can't get into

Started by Samus Aran, August 01, 2009, 09:47:34 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

sans culottes

No way, dude. Revolver is marvelous. But to stay on topic: Blood on the Tracks. I find this so boring compared to Bob Dylan's mid-60's records. I've never been a big fan of Dylan's work post-Blonde on Blonde.

Also, NEVERMIND. Ugh. Nirvana's In Utero and MTV Unplugged albums were absolutely fantastic, but Nevermind was just mediocre. I cannot believe Nevermind is called one of the best albums of all time when Nirvana has done far better than it, twice.
I support BUSH

Veal

Everything by Radiohead.

I've listened to OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows each at least 3 times through, and it's seriously so boring and I don't understand how anyone, much less everyone, can love it so much, or act like I killed their mother when I say I don't like it.

It's like the fucking Beatles, or chocolate chip cookies.

sans culottes

I think Radiohead is pretty good, but I don't see how they're as great as everyone says they are. OK Computer is a great album, but I wouldn't call it the best album ever - in fact, not even one of the best albums ever.
I support BUSH

Smell Memory

Several Radiohead albums and Bob Dylan and numerous others that I can't remember now. akudood;
Felt: because politics are for fools y/n
Felt: goldfrapp controls everything.

Chōshū

Most post-rock

I just find it quite boring.  I enjoy God is an Astronaut and Explosions in the Sky, but I really can't get into the genre as a whole.

sans culottes

Quote from: Ch...sh...« on August 08, 2009, 12:38:35 PM
Most post-rock

I just find it quite boring.  I enjoy God is an Astronaut and Explosions in the Sky, but I really can't get into the genre as a whole.

The word "post-rock" is further proof that many musicians are fucktards who like to invent genres that don't make any sense.
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Quote from: coz on August 08, 2009, 01:04:08 PM
The word "post-rock" is further proof that many musicians are fucktards who like to invent genres that don't make any sense.

It was coined by a music critic. doodthing;

Something you should realize about music: most musicians don't categorize themselves the way we think of them as. It's the listeners and the critics that do it.

Also, while the term may not make a whole lot of sense (then again, many genres don't), the way the genre is defined does make sense, at least for some bands. Not sure about all of them, because I don't listen to a lot of it.

sans culottes

Really, it's everyone, critic, fan, or musician, who sort of put their heads together and coin stupid shit. But I just don't get the term post-rock. You see, punk and grunge were movements that only lasted a few years, so "post-punk" and "post-grunge" make sense, because they drew influence from a movement that died. The major movements in rock music, just plain old rock music, are 50's rock'n'roll and the various styles of the 60's. The term post-rock basically says "oh hi, rock and roll happened and now it's gone, here's what happens after it".

I don't get it baddood;
I support BUSH

Samus Aran

Except post-rock doesn't actually mean "post rock." That's why I said the term doesn't make sense. But its definition (drawing from rock styles/instruments to make non-rock music) does for the most part fit the music.

Zach

Quote from: Veal on August 04, 2009, 11:13:01 PM
Everything by Radiohead.

I've listened to OK Computer, Kid A, and In Rainbows each at least 3 times through, and it's seriously so boring and I don't understand how anyone, much less everyone, can love it so much, or act like I killed their mother when I say I don't like it.

It's like the fucking Beatles, or chocolate chip cookies.

I like Radiohead okay, but most of their work really isn't all that great. I do like In Rainbows, though.

Title

"Strawberry Jam" by Animal Collective. I loved Merriweather Post Pavilion but I guess i'm just too damn mainstream to enjoy their more "abstract" shit. Whatever.

Ladyhawke's Debut album, while it had a couple good tracks (My Delirium and Oh My) was not that mindblowingly good as most fans would have you believe. She's probably in for a pretty nice long career though.

Chōshū

Quote from: Title on August 09, 2009, 10:50:40 PM
"Strawberry Jam" by Animal Collective. I loved Merriweather Post Pavilion but I guess i'm just too damn mainstream to enjoy their more "abstract" shit. Whatever.

Ladyhawke's Debut album, while it had a couple good tracks (My Delirium and Oh My) was not that mindblowingly good as most fans would have you believe. She's probably in for a pretty nice long career though.

Strawberry Jam isn't even half as "abstract" as some of their other albums like Campfire Songs and Here Comes the Indian.  I quite enjoyed the album myself, but if you didn't that's fine.  To each his own I guess.

Title

Quote from: Ch...sh...« on August 09, 2009, 11:02:59 PM
Strawberry Jam isn't even half as "abstract" as some of their other albums like Campfire Songs and Here Comes the Indian.  I quite enjoyed the album myself, but if you didn't that's fine.  To each his own I guess.
Strawberry Jam was as deep as I went into their repertoire. I listen primarily to electro/techno music so the deeper I went the less I enjoyed their older albums

lfctwentytwo

i'm a big gun's n roses fan here so don't bother replying here saying...'DIE'  akudood;  because i like ever one of their other albums...but chinese democracy is just not a winner for me...GnR with no slash is like coffee without sugar...it's horrible it's painful it's empty that album...not one song of it i'm still singing 20 minutes later...biggest disapointment ever

Geno

Quote from: coz on August 04, 2009, 10:11:54 PM
Also, NEVERMIND. Ugh. Nirvana's In Utero and MTV Unplugged albums were absolutely fantastic, but Nevermind was just mediocre. I cannot believe Nevermind is called one of the best albums of all time when Nirvana has done far better than it, twice.
Yeah uh it's not the best but I think it's really good. Still don't see how people can say it's one of the best though. It has maybe 5 songs that are good and the rest kind of bore me.
Quote from: ncba93ivyase on April 04, 2014, 10:31:27 PM
geno i swear to fucking god silvertone and i are going to board you up in your house and have the world's greatest goddamn boyager meetup right next door and put burning bags of dog shit in front of all of your windows and doors and your house will smell like dog shit but you won't be able to extinguish the flames and you'll choke and die on dog shit fumes. what made you will also kill you.

i am throwing down 5 god DAMN dollars geno i will go out and collect the dog shit myself this is fucking happening jesus fucking christ

i'll give you an upperdecker with dog shit and don't you fucking doubt it for one little second you fat bastard

Go Up