June 30, 2024, 12:29:07 PM

1,531,274 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Imac

Started by burzumfan420, June 25, 2009, 09:02:50 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

burzumfan420

Is it possible to get another monitor and hook it up to my imace and use my Imac like a tower?

ME##

Why wouldn't you just use a dual monitor set-up? befuddlement

burzumfan420

Quote from: Canard Diapason Funambule on June 25, 2009, 09:09:23 PM
Why wouldn't you just use a dual monitor set-up? befuddlement

My monitor appears to be breaking but i am not sure, so if i use the dual monitor set up i wouldn't be able to use my mac since all the menus would be on the broken monitor.

and can you even dual monitor setup on imac?

[REDACTED]

Yes.
Also, it will mirror the same image from the iMac display to the external monitor.
If you want to, you can also "extend" the desktop onto the second monitor.
I do not have HIV/AIDS.

burzumfan420

what would i need besides another monitor?

[REDACTED]

Quote from: burzumfan420 on June 26, 2009, 03:38:09 PM
what would i need besides another monitor?
Which iMac model do you have?
I do not have HIV/AIDS.

snorkel

Yes, all iMacs have some sort of video out on the back, either MiniDVI or Mini DisplayPort or maybe even DVI on the older ones... so you just need a monitor and the proper converter cable (MiniDVI to DVI, or to VGA, whatever the case).

After that I'm pretty sure there's somewhere in Displays in system prefs to make it your sole monitor. If not you could at least make it the main monitor and just have a slightly broken secondary monitor.

burzumfan420

Quote from: wziard on July 01, 2009, 11:43:37 AM
Yes, all iMacs have some sort of video out on the back, either MiniDVI or Mini DisplayPort or maybe even DVI on the older ones... so you just need a monitor and the proper converter cable (MiniDVI to DVI, or to VGA, whatever the case).

After that I'm pretty sure there's somewhere in Displays in system prefs to make it your sole monitor. If not you could at least make it the main monitor and just have a slightly broken secondary monitor.

thanks, i was worried i was going to loose all my shit

snorkel

Quote from: burzumfan420 on July 11, 2009, 10:51:57 AM
thanks, i was worried i was going to loose all my shit

even if you couldn't use another monitor you could connect to another mac via firewire and boot as an external disk, or take the hard drive out

Go Up