April 18, 2024, 05:47:34 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Apple TV; anyone have one of these?

Started by reeper, July 07, 2009, 11:54:54 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

I was looking into getting my ultimate nerd setup and I needed just about two more things, a way to play videos on my TV from my computer and a way to play music in my living room from my computer. I noticed the AppleTV did both of these plus a few other features. Some questions before blowing the $180 (Well, once I save up for the $180 and then blow it.)

When it streams music from a computer with iTunes can that computer also play music (different music than the streamed song)?

How well is the video streaming? Is the AppleTV picky about the format the video is in?

Samus Aran

Well, I dunno about any of that other than that you have the price wrong...they start at $230. That is, unless you found some sort of sale on them that I'm aware of.

reeper

July 08, 2009, 12:17:19 AM #2 Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:21:47 AM by reefer
Quote from: Ken on July 08, 2009, 12:02:43 AM
Well, I dunno about any of that other than that you have the price wrong...they start at $230. That is, unless you found some sort of sale on them that I'm aware of.
eBay has buy it now for about $180, no tax, no shipping fee. Mostly because no one wants the AppleTV.

Hiro

They still make those? Seems like a really stupid idea, you can stream media off a 360 or something, there's many cheaper ways to do it.

reeper

July 08, 2009, 03:49:52 AM #4 Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 03:56:36 AM by reefer
Quote from: Hïro on July 08, 2009, 02:44:32 AM
They still make those? Seems like a really stupid idea, you can stream media off a 360 or something, there's many cheaper ways to do it.
Pretty much but the video part is cool.

It's just more convenient than a computer really. Easily portable so that I can bring it to a stereo to use it as a audio bridge. I think I might just be talking myself into buying one really. I'm surprised Apple kind of just shut down on it.

I'm going to go ahead and get one off Craig's list for about $150 or less later. Two people are selling them in my area for that much.

reeper

July 08, 2009, 04:22:06 AM #5 Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:10:51 AM by reefer
I think I'm not going to mainly because it requires the videos to be in mp4 or whatever while none of my tv shows are so that's a huge pain in the ass.

Any wireless suggestions for streaming movies or music (preferably in wmv) over my wireless internet?

Daddy

Quote from: Hïro on July 08, 2009, 02:44:32 AM
You say it's a stupid idea then go say there's another device that does it and suggest that? doodhuh;

I think you just look for any reason to bash an Apple product.

reeper

I just really like the idea of streaming music to a stereo system where your computer isn't at, and then playing movies over it? Sure the movies have to be in a silly format but it's not too expensive and unlike using a computer it will be easy to start up and move around... and less of a chance of computer problems.

Hiro

James, your apple fanboyism is really beginning to get annoying. I was saying there are plenty of cheaper and easier ways to do those things, which there are. I don't hate Apple at all, but you my good sir are a blind supporter of everything with an apple logo on it. I actually do wish to purchase a macbook pro, and I find osx to be a great operating system. I do not however find AppleTV to be worth the money they are charging for it

reeper

Quote from: Hïro on July 08, 2009, 05:26:08 PM
James, your apple fanboyism is really beginning to get annoying. I was saying there are plenty of cheaper and easier ways to do those things, which there are. I don't hate Apple at all, but you my good sir are a blind supporter of everything with an apple logo on it. I actually do wish to purchase a macbook pro, and I find osx to be a great operating system. I do not however find AppleTV to be worth the money they are charging for it
I agree. I'd go out and buy it in a second with an overdraft fee if it were only $99 like it should be.

Make some good features on it too would be awesome, camera able to upload videos to YouTube would be godly.

Daddy

Quote from: Hïro on July 08, 2009, 05:26:08 PM
uh explain how it's apple fanboyism.
Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 08, 2009, 07:23:16 AM
You say it's a stupid idea then go say there's another device that does it and suggest that? doodhuh;

I think you just look for any reason to bash an Apple product.

uh i fail to see it.

you're just an idiot who bought a zune lol

Your post:

QuoteThey still make those? Seems like a really stupid idea

oh look "stupid idea" but wait there's more
Quoteyou can stream media off a 360 or something, there's many cheaper ways to do it.

but there are other ways to do it.

you're a fucking dumbass if you can't realize that you said it's a "stupid idea" which is what i was talking about

go choke on a dick and die :3

Daddy

oh but wait just like i'm a fanboy for needing gps for a job hiro is completley correct with his product assumptions and not reading his own posts.

he posted it from his phone though so he is excused from his incessant cocksucking idiocy.

not

hotlikesauce.

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 10, 2009, 10:29:21 PM
oh but wait just like i'm a fanboy for needing gps for a job hiro is completley correct with his product assumptions and not reading his own posts.

he posted it from his phone though so he is excused from his incessant cocksucking idiocy.

not

Maybe he was saying "It's a stupid idea that they still make those" probably because they've slipped off the radar and they aren't popular.

snorkel

when I have a house/independent living establishment I will definitely get one and use it to stream torrented blu-ray rips to an HD TV, and also as a web server

that would be awesome actually

Hiro

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 10, 2009, 10:23:51 PM
uh explain how it's apple fanboyism.
because you jump at every chance to defend Apple, no matter what the product is?

you're just an idiot who bought a zune lol
And tell me, what exactly is wrong with the Zune, it doesn't have an Apple on the back?
It's actually a great device, but you wouldn't think to give it a second glance because it's not "cool" or whatever.
Sam and Skylark also have them, why aren't you giving them shit about it?

Your post:
oh look "stupid idea" but wait there's more

but there are other ways to do it.
Exactly, there are plenty of other options, and the Apple TV doesn't seem like the best one, especially for its cost.
I mentioned the 360 merely as an example, and it would be a good choice if one were to already own one.

you're a fucking dumbass if you can't realize that you said it's a "stupid idea" which is what i was talking about
It is a stupid idea, because a device such as an Apple TV doesn't seem to be worth $200.

Quote from: Prowling Kewn on July 10, 2009, 10:29:21 PM
Well James, although I'm sure having better GPS would be a nice thing for you and your nonexistent job, I still highly doubt it would be necessary. Not only that, but it seems like a mighty stupid financial move to spend all that money for a phone that is extremely similar to the one you already have.

Additionally, I have made it clear that I do not go out of my way to bash Apple, I simply don't make decisions based on brand loyalty.

stop getting so defensive, your fanboyism is showing.

Go Up