April 20, 2024, 02:22:59 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Iran

Started by j o e i n c, June 19, 2009, 06:36:49 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

j o e i n c

Yo, what do you think about what's goin on in that place.

It seems like the people are being oppressed by the man, man.

ME##

Well, I think it's pretty obvious that something happened during the voting process and the government underestimated the resolve of the opposition. 

I guess we'll see what happens later today though, they have already said they're going on with their protests as promised.

Boogus Epirus Aurelius

It's certainly interesting seeing the extent of the protest.
There's a whole fucking movement against.

[spoiler][youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUjIA3Rt7gk[/youtube][/spoiler]

Slim

June 20, 2009, 12:29:23 AM #3 Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 04:08:42 PM by Slim
Quote from: Canard Diapason Funambule on June 19, 2009, 07:06:24 PMI guess we'll see what happens later today though, they have already said they're going on with their protests as promised.

I think Khamenei made it clear in his speech how the state will respond if the protests persist (which, of course, they will). Later today, I expect that the brutality of the crackdown will far exceed anything we've seen thus far.

Edit: Seems that today was quite brutal indeed. However, the Iranian state is still holding back, in my opinion, for fear of creating more martyrs for the opposition. It may be too late for that, though, since they've created plenty as it is.
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

rdl

I haven't been following too closely, but as far as I see it the other guy is just a sore loser. Then again I don't know what proof they have to say that it was a fraud.

ME##

Quote from: RDX on June 20, 2009, 08:22:47 PM
I haven't been following too closely, but as far as I see it the other guy is just a sore loser. Then again I don't know what proof they have to say that it was a fraud.

Well, I think the problem is that it appeared that Mousavi had wide support before the election and for him to be so handedly beaten seems to point to fraud.  Not to mention they announced that Ahmadinejad had won very soon after the vote had winning, leading people to wonder how they counted all the ballots by hand in such a short amount of time.

Or maybe he is just a sore looser.

rdl

I'd like to think that Ahmadinejad isn't so stupid that he would say "oh, looks like i win" so shortly after the polls close. i could always be wrong though.

The margin is rather conspicuous though.

Det in F♯ Major

why does his name look like someone just slammed their forehead against the keyboard

fadgjekildasaj
look
thats muslim
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

ME##

Quote from: Det in Fââ,,¢Â¯ Major on June 20, 2009, 10:43:56 PM
why does his name look like someone just slammed their forehead against the keyboard

fadgjekildasaj
look
thats muslim

محمود احمدÛÅ'ââ,¬Å'نژاد

Looks like a very pretty name, if I do say so myself. :|

rdl

Slim

June 21, 2009, 12:40:43 AM #10 Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 03:22:45 AM by Slim
Quote from: RDX on June 20, 2009, 08:22:47 PM

So you openly admit that you're uneducated on the matter, and yet still feel compelled to offer an opinion? What a strange fellow you are.

Quote from: RDX on June 20, 2009, 08:40:23 PM
I'd like to think that Ahmadinejad isn't so stupid that he would say "oh, looks like i win" so shortly after the polls close. i could always be wrong though.

The margin is rather conspicuous though.

Well, for one thing, the Supreme Leader, Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who happens to be a political ally of Ahmadinejad and an opponent of the reformists, would have been the one fixing the election, not Ahmadinejad himself. In addition to the irregularities already mentioned, it has been reported that some areas had a turnout of higher than 100%. Also, the official results have Ahmadinejad winning comfortably in Tabriz--which is the capital of Mousavi's native province--and Tehran, two of Mousavi's main centers of popularity.

And whether he's a "sore loser" or not, the state has lost a good deal of its legitimacy in the past week with its repressive post-election behavior. You're right in that the whole thing does seem a bit brazen, but I doubt that Khamenei expected to ignite a popular uprising no matter how absurdly he manipulated the results: this has obviously been a oversight on his part.
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

Daddy

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGyZo2jOOYY[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69txwzttCa8[/youtube]

Also, I don't doubt that someone fucked with the results.  The amount of censorship(tv, internet, cell phone, radio, satellite, etc), people being placed under house arrest/being arrested, and such all seems suspect.

Also, what the fuck?
QuoteOn June 19, the United States House of Representatives voted 405-to-1 in support of a resolution supporting "all Iranians who embrace the values of freedom, human rights, civil liberties and the rule of law" and condemning "ongoing violence against demonstrators."[166]

405-1?  Who the fuck voted against it? I'm going to guess Ron Paul...and checking CNN it was.

j o e i n c

"I rise in reluctant opposition to H Res 560, which condemns the Iranian government for its recent actions during the unrest in that country," Paul said in a statement on his website.

"Of course I do not support attempts by foreign governments to suppress the democratic aspirations of their people, but when is the last time we condemned Saudi Arabia or Egypt or the many other countries where unlike in Iran there is no opportunity to exercise any substantial vote on political leadership?" the libertarian Republican asked. "It seems our criticism is selective and applied when there are political points to be made."

just1more

I've been following this really closely lately. I even created a Twitter account the other day just to keep up to date without all the bullshit the MSM feeds us.

The real wild card at this point is the Iranian Army. Right now they're neutral in the whole matter. If they decide to side with the people, the Revolution will be in full swing. If they decide to side with the government, it's game over. The Revolutionary Guard is already in Ahmadinejad's back pocket. The Basij is continuing to crack protesters' skulls. The Army's stance is key to the outcome of the Green Revolution.

j o e i n c

Quote from: Joe on June 21, 2009, 02:24:35 PM
The Army's stance is key to the outcome of the Green Revolution.
Stop global warming!

Go Up