April 27, 2024, 10:02:44 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Stem Cell Research

Started by Dullahan, June 01, 2009, 06:46:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Quote from: Virgule punctuation mark on June 02, 2009, 05:00:34 PM
I suppose artificial or cancerous cells are useful fo research purposes
No I meant as in taking the genetic material from a cell of an adult  who may have severe kidney damage, stripping the genetic information from a human egg cell, injecting the person's DNA into the cell, and starting the process of cell division (uh i think they use nutrients and a few things to do that, i'm not sure of the exact process).  once the stem cells are harvested they are a perfect genetic match of the person who may need the new kidneys.

If it's an exact genetic match your body won't reject it: I mean it's your organ(well uh unless it's that disorder that makes the body attack itself)

QuoteWell of course bone marrow has individually unique properties that can cause incompatible humans to reject them, just like organs, they may also contain certain blood or bone disorders from the person. However if for now it's still experimental, so I don't see a problem with using them.
there is also something related to what the cells can do or something.

guff

Quote from: Virgule punctuation mark on June 02, 2009, 04:31:26 PM
I am against creating embryo for the purpose of stem cell research.
okay because they don't do it  akudood;
I am not however necessarily against the idea of using stem cells of excess embryos, but really if it isn't necessary for most to be created I'm not sure if they should be making so many in the first place.
because fertility clinics go through a whole bunch because a lot of fertility treatments don't work the first time
By the way on that note, is it necessary for the stem cells to come from a living specimen?
i dunno, but uh do you know of anywhere that stores dead embryos  doodhuh;
Because if embryos are fair game to science to use, marrow from recently deceased corpses should be as well, with or without permission to donate body parts. (since it's really more like donating blood than a limb)
i uh don't know how well that would work or where you're coming from but let's analyze this
infection is a very serious risk with bone marrow transplants, as the recipient's own bone barrow is usually destroyed weeks before the transplant, which means not many white blood cells and friends
meanwhile, in the potential donor blood stops pumping, the immune system shuts down, all sorts of undesirable pathogens roam the streets and set vascular cars on fire
this is bad news for the recipient because sure their leukemia might go away but they will also die  akudood;

the more you know, the fewer silly non sequiturs you make akudood;

Virgule punctuation mark

Quote from: guff on June 02, 2009, 05:09:53 PM
okay because they don't do it  akudood;

I knew that, but some groups are still rallying for it.

because fertility clinics go through a whole bunch because a lot of fertility treatments don't work the first time i dunno,
Yes, but viable sperm and eggs can easily be stored for prolonged periods of time under the right conditions, it only takes a few days for fertilization to take effect anyways, so why not just create as needed for efficiency's sake?

don't know how well that would work or where you're coming from but let's analyze this
infection is a very serious risk with bone marrow transplants, as the recipient's own bone barrow is usually destroyed weeks before the transplant, which means not many white blood cells and friends
meanwhile, in the potential donor blood stops pumping, the immune system shuts down, all sorts of undesirable pathogens roam the streets and set vascular cars on fire
this is bad news for the recipient because sure their leukemia might go away but they will also die  akudood;
I pretty much mentioned that just a bit ago, i didn't mean for clinical use, only for testing purposes.
Perhaps i am mistaken though, I don't really know much about the actual process of stem cell research, I apologize if i said something unusual in that regard.

the more you know, the fewer silly non sequiturs you make akudood;
I may be subconsciously trolling as well, not sure.

guff

Quote from: Virgule punctuation mark on June 02, 2009, 05:26:49 PM
I knew that, but some groups are still rallying for it.
[citation needed] akudood;
Quote from: Virgule punctuation mark on June 02, 2009, 05:26:49 PM
Yes, but viable sperm and eggs can easily be stored for prolonged periods of time under the right conditions, it only takes a few days for fertilization to take effect anyways, so why not just create as needed for efficiency's sake?
that's a question for the fertility clinics, not stem cell research supporters  akudood;

Virgule punctuation mark

Quote from: guff on June 02, 2009, 07:27:49 PM
[citation needed] akudood;

Of course it still has supporters
not only has it been done in the past http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-336779.html

but there are still proposals up in the air.
http://erlc.com/article/life-digest-britain-to-weigh-embryo-creation-for-body-parts/

as well as bills for the creation of animal human hybrid embryos for research.
http://www.biopoliticaltimes.org/article.php?id=4094

guff

Quote from: Virgule punctuation mark on June 02, 2009, 09:55:48 PM
not only has it been done in the past http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1P2-336779.html
ok
but there are still proposals up in the air.
http://erlc.com/article/life-digest-britain-to-weigh-embryo-creation-for-body-parts/
that would seem to be more for the generation of personalized body parts, not stem cell research in general
as well as bills for the creation of animal human hybrid embryos for research.
http://www.biopoliticaltimes.org/article.php?id=4094
good thing british politicians don't conduct embryonic stem cell research akudood;

l a c e y

Lozal

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 08:42:44 AM
Ooh, wow...

Personally, embryonic stem cell research shouldn't be used. I don't think it's fair for the innocent party to have to sacrifice itself without even it's own opinion on the topic. It's not fair to the baby. It has a soul, and a heart, and a brain, just like we do, except the heart and brain just take a little time to fully develop themselves.\
So...

How many "innocent babies" made through in vitro fertilization are you willing to save? I doubt your wife is going to want to be impregnated with them.
powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

Shadow_Sheik

I have no objection to any of it's forms.  Research and development of their use should be pursued ardently.

Lex Luthor

I am for Stem Cell Research.
Why am i still here?

Houdini

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 11:35:58 AM
Well, it's still a human, brought into the world by humans. It is the equivalent of murder.
If that's how you feel, then it's not much of a stretch to say menstruation is murder. By your logic, blastocysts are humans; therefore, we can assume that an unfertilized egg cell is half a human. Ergo: Whenever a woman has her period, she is killing half a human.

Shadow_Sheik

Quote from: Houdini on June 13, 2009, 06:40:10 PM
If that's how you feel, then it's not much of a stretch to say menstruation is murder. By your logic, blastocysts are humans; therefore, we can assume that an unfertilized egg cell is half a human. Ergo: Whenever a woman has her period, she is killing half a human.

Jesus Christ.  If women are killing this many half children, think of how many men have killed. O_O

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: Shadow_Sheik on June 13, 2009, 07:41:15 PM
Jesus Christ.  If women are killing this many half children, think of how many men have killed. O_O

And that comes from pleasure and is controllable, when a period is misery and can also vary in time. ]:
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Daddy

Quote from: Det in Fââ,,¢Â¯ Major on June 13, 2009, 09:38:35 PM
And that comes from pleasure and is controllable, when a period is misery and can also vary in time. ]:
What about nocturnal emissions and SPONTANEOUS EJACULATION.

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: Crazy Fucking Raccoon on June 13, 2009, 09:56:44 PM
What about nocturnal emissions and SPONTANEOUS EJACULATION.

im sure you enjoy it ;)
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Go Up