April 19, 2024, 09:54:54 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Stem Cell Research

Started by Dullahan, June 01, 2009, 06:46:53 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Dullahan

Okay, part of the reason why I am making this thread is because I have to do my English culminating on it and would like to discuss it. Also, I would like to know your feedback of it because of its controversy.

Nonetheless, what are your opinions on it? So far from what I've read, we are still pretty incomplete on the knowledge of how this system works. I am currently reading about adult stem cells, cord cells, and embryonic stem cells.

Adult stem cells are the ones that have a kick in our research. So far, we have had results of its success on people. For example, someone with a shattered spine can have the stem cells in the spine's tissue replaced by stem cells from their nose. Bone marrow has a rich source of stem cells. However, the problem with this is that the procedure of extracting stem cells from bone marrow may result in destruction of the bone marrow itself.

Cord cells are the cells that are extracted during pregnancy. They can be used by the mother or father of the newborn. Take the umbilical cord, for example. The umbilical cord has several stem cells that are of a rich source. However, the distant the relationship between the mother and father are, the more likely that the body's immune system will reject them.

Embryonic cells are probably the most controversial. An example of this could be taking an egg from an ovary and taking the nucleus out of it. Then, take a skin cell and put the nucleus inside of that cell. These cells are extracted from the embryo, but when the embryo is at this stage, it is known as the "blastocyst". These cells double every 2-3 days. But the procedure of this source may result in destruction of the stem cells... thus, meaning that it's a matter of life or death for another human being.

But what do you think? There are results of success, but the research for this has not yet been completed. It still needs to be looked into more. Are you against this type of activity? What are your opinions on it?

PuuMastaFunk

Ooh, wow...

Personally, embryonic stem cell research shouldn't be used. I don't think it's fair for the innocent party to have to sacrifice itself without even it's own opinion on the topic. It's not fair to the baby. It has a soul, and a heart, and a brain, just like we do, except the heart and brain just take a little time to fully develop themselves.

As for adult cells and cord cells, those are fine. Really, that's more like donating organs, especially the umbilical cord. It's not really going to be used for anything more than trash, so why not donate it to be put to good use. If it can't find any matches, then tough shit; throw it away.

guff

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 08:42:44 AM
It has a soul...
okay  akudood;
Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 08:42:44 AM
...and a heart, and a brain...
blastocysts, from which stem cells are taken, have neither akudood;
the heart does not start to develop until approximately 20 days later

PuuMastaFunk

Quote from: guff on June 02, 2009, 11:19:44 AM
okay  akudood;

blastocysts, from which stem cells are taken, have neither akudood;
the heart does not start to develop until approximately 20 days later

Well, it's still a human, brought into the world by humans. It is the equivalent of murder.

guff

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 11:35:58 AM
Well, it's still a human, brought into the world by humans. It is the equivalent of murder.
it has the genetic material of a human, but at that stage it's just a blob of around one hundred cells

PuuMastaFunk

Quote from: guff on June 02, 2009, 11:48:49 AM
it has the genetic material of a human, but at that stage it's just a blob of around one hundred cells

So? That doesn't keep it from being a human. Even if you don't want to consider it that, it is becoming one eventually, unless you kill it.

Daddy

Quote from: PuuMastaFunk on June 02, 2009, 11:50:53 AM
So? That doesn't keep it from being a human. Even if you don't want to consider it that, it is becoming one eventually, unless you kill it.
It's less human than an extra finger at that point. doodthing;

It seems to me that you're just grasping at straws.

Your argument was them having hearts and brains, guff then pointed out they have neither at that point and you claimed it was still a human and that it's the equivalent of murder.

Also with embryonic stem cells it's generally done specifically with a clone or with the non viable embryos leftover from fertility clinics.

We have not reached a point where we can clone a viable human so that fetus is going to die regardless. It is created specifically to provide an exact genetic match in the stem cells for a specific person.

With the embryos from fertility clinics, where they are not looking for a perfect genetic match, the fetuses are usually not used after the couple conceives a viable offspring. The leftovers are either destroyed or frozen for future usage by the couple.

tl;dr the fetuses used in embryonic stem cell research wouldn't ever "become human" anyhow.

guff

so is ovulation without fertilization manslaughter

Dullahan

Puu, you're not catching the whole point. One thing is that I'm confused on whether you say that you need a heart and a brain to be human. If you're still referring to the blastocyst, which as Guff said, has neither, then it's technically not human yet, materials otherwise. The heart and brain have not yet been developed.

Also, "souls" discussion is just gonna bring in another topic...

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: Crazy Fucking Raccoon on June 02, 2009, 12:11:13 PM
It's less human than an extra finger at that point. doodthing;

people with five fingers have feelings too >:(

also someone explain the process of embryonic stem cells to me, what is the status of the fetus when the stem cells are, uh, i guess extracted? at that point
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Daddy

Quote from: Det in Fââ,,¢Â¯ Major on June 02, 2009, 04:09:17 PM
people with five fingers have feelings too >:(
lol akudood;
i meant like cutting off an extra finger baddood;

also someone explain the process of embryonic stem cells to me, what is the status of the fetus when the stem cells are, uh, i guess extracted? at that point
A few days after fertilization the zygote is called a "blastocyst"

It looks like this

They basically terminate it at that point (less than a week, no semblance of anything) and harvest the cells to help a person.

It's like 200 cells, not many.

Virgule punctuation mark

I am against creating embryo for the purpose of stem cell research.
I am not however necessarily against the idea of using stem cells of excess embryos, but really if it isn't necessary for most to be created I'm not sure if they should be making so many in the first place. By the way on that note, is it necessary for the stem cells to come from a living specimen? Because if embryos are fair game to science to use, marrow from recently deceased corpses should be as well, with or without permission to donate body parts. (since it's really more like donating blood than a limb)

Det in F♯ Major

so is it killed when it is perfectly normal, or is it extracted after complications and it has died?

also what is that kid talking about "creating" embryos? people reproduce just for the purpose of stem cell research or are they made in a laboratory?
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Daddy

Quote from: Virgule punctuation mark on June 02, 2009, 04:31:26 PM
I am against creating embryo for the purpose of stem cell research.
what about a clone which is not viable in the first place

QuoteBy the way on that note, is it necessary for the stem cells to come from a living specimen? Because if embryos are fair game to science to use, marrow from recently deceased corpses should be as well, with or without permission to donate body parts. (since it's really more like donating blood than a limb)
I can't remember off of the top of my head but adult stem cells have some problems when compared to embryonic ones.
Quote from: Det in Fââ,,¢Â¯ Major on June 02, 2009, 04:47:38 PM
so is it killed when it is perfectly normal, or is it extracted after complications and it has died?
afaik the only embryos currently harvest are leftovers from in vitro fertilization(would be destroyed anyways) or clones of the receipient(removes possibility of rejection).  There have been no verified cases of a human clone ever being viable, so it would die anyways.

Quotealso what is that kid talking about "creating" embryos? people reproduce just for the purpose of stem cell research or are they made in a laboratory?
The latter.

Virgule punctuation mark

Quote from: Crazy Fucking Raccoon on June 02, 2009, 04:53:10 PM
what about a clone which is not viable in the first place

I suppose artificial or cancerous cells are useful fo research purposes
Quote from: Crazy Fucking Raccoon on June 02, 2009, 04:53:10 PM
I can't remember off of the top of my head but adult stem cells have some problems when compared to embryonic ones.
Well of course bone marrow has individually unique properties that can cause incompatible humans to reject them, just like organs, they may also contain certain blood or bone disorders from the person. However if for now it's still experimental, so I don't see a problem with using them.

Go Up