Without God where would we get our morals?!?!?!?!

Started by Daddy, May 25, 2009, 06:47:20 AM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

May 25, 2009, 06:47:20 AM Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 06:55:26 PM by reefer
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/wildlife/5373379/Animals-can-tell-right-from-wrong.html

Article on morality within different species, showing that it is hardwired into the brains of social animals. How do you think this affects the argument that humans only have morality "because of God" like many theists claim?

Would you still claim that if you believed it? Would you then claim that animals also get their morality from God? Or do you realize that morality itself is subjective/hardcoded into the brains of social mammals?

Also, I find these two interesting:
DIANA MONKEYS
A laboratory experiment trained Diana monkeys to insert a token into a slot to obtain food.
A male who had grown to be adept at the task was found to be helping the oldest female who had not been able to learn how to insert the token.
On three occasion the male monkey picked up tokens she dropped and inserted them into the slot and allowed her to have the food.
As there was no benefit for the male monkey, Prof Bekoff argues that this is a clear example of an animal's actions being driven by some internal moral compass.
CHIMPANZEES
Known to be among the most cognitively advanced of the great apes and our closest cousin, it is perhaps not surprising that scientists should suggest they live by moral codes.
A chimpanzee known as Knuckles ââ,¬â€œ from the Centre for Great Apes in Florida ââ,¬â€œ is the only known captive chimpanzee to suffer from cerebral palsy, which leaves him physically and mentally handicapped.
Scientists have found that other chimpanzees in his group treat him differently and he is rarely subjected to intimidating displays of aggression from older males.
Chimpanzees also demonstrate a sense of justice and those who deviate from the code of conduct of a group are set upon by other members as punishment.

YPrrrr

I would argue humans have less morality than animals

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: Crazy Fucking Raccoon on May 25, 2009, 06:47:20 AM
A chimpanzee known as Knuckles ââ,¬â€œ from the Centre for Great Apes in Florida ââ,¬â€œ is the only known captive chimpanzee to suffer from cerebral palsy, which leaves him physically and mentally handicapped.

;_;

Also I believe God gave every living organism morals. I don't know why anyone would think just humans specifically were given them.
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

Daddy

Quote from: Det in Fââ,,¢Â¯ Major on May 25, 2009, 07:31:33 AM
;_;

Also I believe God gave every living organism morals. I don't know why anyone would think just humans specifically were given them.
There are quite a few religious people who will go "omg without god how do you get your morals!?!?!11111111111111" as if the only way to have morality is following their religion.

Det in F♯ Major

Quote from: Crazy Fucking Raccoon on May 25, 2009, 07:39:19 AM
There are quite a few religious people who will go "omg without god how do you get your morals!?!?!11111111111111" as if the only way to have morality is following their religion.

what the hell lullllllllll
these religions are the ones who probably are like sinning the most because they're so stupid and exclusive and its like uhhh i believe we should accept everyone and put them in the right direction if they're going through a hard time but not threaten them and stupid shit like that
Quote from: Khadafi on February 02, 2011, 03:17:34 PM
BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW BLACK AND YELLOW

superclucky

kewns are smelly

Daddy

Quote from: Stupid Fucking Slut on May 25, 2009, 09:44:02 AM
Blue Jays have no morals. ;_;
It's their lack of morals that let the Red Sox pass them.

Zach

Quote from: Crazy Fucking Raccoon on May 25, 2009, 09:45:10 AM

Yankees are the dirtiest of them all.

hotlikesauce.

I read somewhere that there's a bigger mental gap between Humans and people like Aristotle than Humans and Chimpanzees.

YPrrrr

Quote from: Crazy Fucking Raccoon on May 25, 2009, 09:45:10 AM
Right... hey Big Papi, how's the steroid-less season going

Virgule punctuation mark

Is there really such a thing as morals for humans or otherwise?
It's simply basic problem solving that the more members of your species survive the more likely your group is successful, in the end it's long term survival. If a member of the group lowers the overall units chances of survival, it's beneficial to punish or kill that member.
"Right" and "wrong" without the traditions of Humans in the end comes down to "productive" or "counter productive".

superclucky

kewns are smelly

Daddy

Quote from: Stupid Fucking Slut on May 26, 2009, 07:00:58 AM
wuz dur morals b4 reilgion lol
dur stupid no because when god created adum n eve he krated religion god that was a stupid qustion

Slim

ok u goys das enuff intenshenal mispelings 4 now lol

And I'd hesitate to describe what's discussed in the article as morality. If anything, it shows that animals have an instinctive sense of group solidarity. They simply try to do what's best to ensure their own survival, which must necessarily include what's best for the survival of the group. I wouldn't elevate that to the level of 'morality'--certainly not anything that's comparable to human morality, anyway.
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

j o e i n c

if anything, it shows slim is a fagot

you need god to have morals. lets see:

hitler was an atheist
stalin was an atheist

hmmm. how many did they kill? they had no morals. because there's nothing to fear. you're just here for no reason and then poof you're gone, all your bad deeds unpunished? lol YEAH

Go Up