May 13, 2024, 01:24:21 PM

1,531,625 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do You Believe in God?

Started by Daddy, April 16, 2007, 04:13:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Do you believe in God?

Yes.
63 (38.7%)
No.
66 (40.5%)
I'm not sure
34 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Go Down

CruelPleasure

I actually don't really know what to believe.

LCK

Quote from: ACWW on May 15, 2007, 03:37:43 PM
The Bible=Proof. educate;
Read it.

got god?

[move]yes I do! God FTW![/move]
Give me proof that the bible is actually true.

jonathanhan

I belive in God.  I really don't see any other explanations.  Sure there is evolution and whatever but still.  How could this whole entire universe be made out of nothing?  How could we be alive?  Sure there is no proof and I'm not trying to convince you guys to believe in God.  Yes I don't KNOW he is there because there is no true evidence but I do believe.  I think that is enough.

Rosti LFC

I don't.
I really just don't see why I should believe in something that has no real proof of existing.

I'm an atheist. Religion seems a bit too farcical to me. Nobody picks their religion. You're pretty much always born into it.
Now if religion is about some form of reward either in your life or the afterlife, then that seems a bit unfair really. Basically, it just depends on which one you're born in to.
People have said atheism is stupid, because you're guaranteed to lose out if religion is real. At least if you follow a religion there's a chance it's the right one. I really don't follow that argument either. If God is so infinitely wise, he'll see the rationale for my decision, and will understand. I leave a mostly moral life. Will I be denied heaven simply for not following the religion? I mean, surely it's better that I've lived a moral life because it's right than if I'd done it simply to be rewarded at the end?
Really can't see God or whatever turning people away because they were in the wrong religion, or didn't have one. I mean, there's so many. Who was to say the Greeks or Egyptians weren't right, and everyone since about 300AD has been punished in the afterlife?

They're too trivial for me to bother with. When you get a religion that has hard-core proof it is right, then I'll buy it. People mock Scientology (myself included), but other religions are no better. They've just been around longer and are more established in culture.

If I were to pick a religion, I'd go for Buddhism. No Gods, just the basic mantra that if you're a good person, good things shall happen to you.

SBKT

If I had to choose a religion, it'd be Protestant. That's the closest I can get to my current beliefs. It's my own belief system and Protestants match what I want ti to be.

HAHAHA.

No, everything can be explained by science, no need for god.

Daddy

Quote from: rostilfc on May 18, 2007, 01:03:17 PM

I'm an atheist. Religion seems a bit too farcical to me. Nobody picks their religion. You're pretty much always born into it.
Now if religion is about some form of reward either in your life or the afterlife, then that seems a bit unfair really. Basically, it just depends on which one you're born in to.
People have said atheism is stupid, because you're guaranteed to lose out if religion is real. At least if you follow a religion there's a chance it's the right one. I really don't follow that argument either. If God is so infinitely wise, he'll see the rationale for my decision, and will understand. I leave a mostly moral life. Will I be denied heaven simply for not following the religion? I mean, surely it's better that I've lived a moral life because it's right than if I'd done it simply to be rewarded at the end?
Really can't see God or whatever turning people away because they were in the wrong religion, or didn't have one. I mean, there's so many. Who was to say the Greeks or Egyptians weren't right, and everyone since about 300AD has been punished in the afterlife?

I agree entirely with that paragraph.  If God does exist I'm sure he would allow an atheist who lived a life full of moral, compassion for others, and generosity over a Christian who might live a life of hypocrisy, hatred, and selfishness.   If he does exist and denies anyone that isn't the correct religion entrance into heaven I don't want to be there.   It would be a corrupt place.  Good people with morals would be tossed aside for those who's only claim to heaven is their belief in God.

I don't believe he exists but  if he does I'm not bothered by it.   I abide by a stricter set of morals than most Christians.  I don't that preach something is wrong but do it myself.  If I say something is wrong I don't do it. 

YoshiGal7

I do but I don't.

I do because there really is no explanation for how everything came to be, except the evolution theory which is retarded. But I don't because I can't imagine hom much time it took for God to add every little detail to the human body. I'm easily convinced, though. gentleman;

Rosti LFC

Quote from: PotTomato on May 18, 2007, 06:29:57 PM
I do but I don't.

I do because there really is no explanation for how everything came to be, except the evolution theory which is retarded. But I don't because I can't imagine hom much time it took for God to add every little detail to the human body. I'm easily convinced, though. gentleman;

Evolution is not retarded. MRSA and other suberbugs prove that it at least works. It's far superior to the notion of Creationism.

Karel

May 19, 2007, 07:50:56 AM #98 Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 05:27:24 PM by Karel101
Quote from: jonathanhan on May 18, 2007, 12:49:08 PMI belive in God.  I really don't see any other explanations.  Sure there is evolution and whatever but still.  How could this whole entire universe be made out of nothing?

Situation A: The universe was sparked from a singularity in which a massive amount of energy was released, and the energy under massive pressure began to form the particles of matter that make up the physical universe, expanding outwards, and constantly evolving more and more elaborate forms of matter. It is theorized that this "big bang" was caused by overlapping membranes of the mulitverse colliding, releasing a massive amount of energy to spark this creation.

Situation B: An invisible man who knows and sees everything, decided to create our universe and life on a whim (certainly not a curiousity, since he knows everything), and watches over us and cares about each and every one of us, and has a plan.

Which seems more outrageous to you?

LCK

Quote from: Karel101 on May 19, 2007, 07:50:56 AM
Quote from: jonathanhan on May 18, 2007, 12:49:08 PMI belive in God.  I really don't see any other explanations.  Sure there is evolution and whatever but still.  How could this whole entire universe be made out of nothing?

Situation A: The universe was sparked from a singlurity in which a massive amount of energy was released, and the energy under massive pressure began to form the particles of matter that make up the physical universe, expanding outwards, and constantly evolving more and more elaborate forms of matter. It is theorized that this "big bang" was caused by overlapping membranes of the mulitverse colliding, releasing a massive amount of energy to spark this creation.

Situation B: An invisible man who knows and sees everything, decided to create our universe and life on a whim (certainly not a curiousity, since he knows everything), and watches over us and cares about each and every one of us, and has a plan.

Which seems more outrageous to you?
Nice way to put it.

Pancake Paraphernalia

No. I'm atheist.  To me it makes no sense. If you do something wrong then you pray to god saying you are sorry and you won't do it again. God forgives you. Think of all the people at the moment God is "forgiving" people.What if you do it again? is God suppose to forgive you all those times? They said god made earth out of dirt with his own hands.How would there be dirt in the first place if there was no earth? If there was such thing as "heaven" then where is it? Space? In the clouds? And the point in going to church every Sunday. Why Sunday? How did people even know about "God" then? If there was really "God" would he have to tell someone himself, mean someone has seen God before to know of him? I still remember when in school, at lunch, a piece of my sandwich fell on the floor. I went down to pick it up. I dusted it off and then i put it in my mouth. One of my friends screamed," The devil could have licked that!" I was so surprised I almost choked on my food.
I said," What!??"
She said," If you drop something on the floor, the devil could have licked it!"
I replied," So?
She goes," Your going to be cursed!"
I just stared and said," Cursed?I always eat stuff off the ground and I'm fine...".....

And think for a second people. Have you ever ate something off the ground? Are you cursed? Look at the poor people who HAD to eat stuff off the ground. Are they cursed? My own mom had to eat off the ground because if she didn't she wouldn't SURVIVE. Food is probably falling and touching the ground every second. The devil must have a tongue the size of earth to lick all that food. And pigs. Pigs= Pork. They LIVE on the ground. The devil is licking them. Because I eat pork. I eat pigs for dinner sometimes.

And human is also FOOD for some animals. So the devil is licking us? I always eat stuff when it falls.

Another thing is about Jesus.
In TV, Books, And other stuff, God always appears as a light. A beam of light.  So this beam of light told a person, a particular person named Mary, to give birth to his son. An Angel tell her. So, all those angels are dead people. If you are dead to turn into some angels and go to heaven is you didn't do any sins. Pride is a sin. Kids feel proud if they do something good. Teachers always tell you to feel proud of yourself you you ace a test. So you are suppose to walk around emo, no self esteem? Lying is also a sin. Should never lie. Right. Say sorry to God if you happen to be a mass murderer. God will forgive you.

Pray twhen you are about to eat. You are thanking God for food. Licked by the devil. Cabbage. Potatoes.  Carrots. All grow touching the floor. They must be licked by the devil. Can't eat those.

Hard to think isn't it? If God was real and a real place called heaven and hell, then I really think a majority of the world is in hell.
number stations

Necro

@ DecembeR: Yeah, I don't even think it's worth making a post like that anymore. So many things about that religion contradict with another thing from the religion, it's outrageous. Making a huge post about yet another thing is kind of pointless. Not saying you're in trouble, but just a heads up, you don't need to go into huge detail about it. y;
You asked me once, what was in Room 101. I told you that you knew the answer already. Everyone knows it. The thing that is in Room 101 is Necro

sn3t

This kind of topic really interests me, so I will one by one point out my views. Beware, this will be a long post.. probably.

The Raven
QuoteI do believe in God. I believe that someone made the trees and the Earth and other planets. I just can't fathom them appearing all by themselves.

I hear this answer quite a bit, but what I can not understand is how you can fathom an all powerful sky wizard who has "always been there" making the universe, but you make the idea of things appearing my themselves sound like crazy talk.

Lozal
QuoteSame here. All my friends and family have always taught me that if I don't believe, I'll go to http://starcraft2.com/. But I'm seriously questioning if He really does exist.

I find it sad that Christians, and most regularly Southern Baptists, brainwash young children with thoughts of a place of eternal pain and suffering.  Whatever happened to letting people make their own choices, kids nowadays will never truly be able to make their own decision on religion from years and years of brainwashing from their parents and church.

Lawlz
QuoteUnless I am god, there is no possible way for a god to exist. This world is a result of my own mind.

QuoteProve to me you exist.

You can't. We live in and control our own separate universes.

What did you Administrators mean by Serious Discussion when you made this forum?  gonk;

Charizard-level10

QuoteYeah, I believe in God. There's no actual way to prove God exists, but there's really no way to disprove it either.

I believe in God because something or someone had to have done something to create the world/universe. Things don't just appear out of nothing, unless you believe in spontaneous generation. I'm not sure if there's really God the way most people (who believe in God) picture it, but there has to be some sort of superior being. Though that still would leave the problem of who/what created the superior being, but that's something that's pretty much impossible to fathom, for my mind at least.

Again, things coming from nothing is just silly talk, but if you add in an invisible man in the sky it is serious business.

Enough quotes for me, on to my answer to the question.

No I do not believe in a dead Jewish zombie who is his own father.

Simple as that...

Pancake Paraphernalia

Quote from: Necro on May 19, 2007, 10:25:07 AM
@ DecembeR: Yeah, I don't even think it's worth making a post like that anymore. So many things about that religion contradict with another thing from the religion, it's outrageous. Making a huge post about yet another thing is kind of pointless. Not saying you're in trouble, but just a heads up, you don't need to go into huge detail about it. y;

Still, I was bored, and I wanted to prove my point.  caterpie;
number stations

ZF222

I go to church on the occasion with my family, and I was a firm believer until I hit 14 years of age, when you enter high school and really see things for the first time. I still believe, but every now and then, after a shit day... I wonder whether or not God truly exists. Is my praying doing nothing? am I just wasting my time? I would say I still believe in God, but I cannot see how one would base his life around claims that are based on faith, and not proof or fact.

Go Up