June 06, 2024, 04:24:50 AM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do You Believe in God?

Started by Daddy, April 16, 2007, 04:13:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Do you believe in God?

Yes.
63 (38.7%)
No.
66 (40.5%)
I'm not sure
34 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Go Down

just1more

Quote from: Lawlz on July 31, 2008, 08:03:56 AM
I think it's intentional.

What doesn't make sense is how so many people, like 80% of the southern US, can think christianity is necessary to be a good person. really, how many atheists and buddhists do you see on death row --pretty much zeroI'm actually having trouble imagining a person older than 10 still in the boy scouts.

Actually, under 11 you're in the cub scouts, not the boy scouts.  baddood;

YPrrrr

Quote from: Lawlz on July 31, 2008, 08:03:56 AM
I think it's intentional.

What doesn't make sense is how so many people, like 80% of the southern US, can think christianity is necessary to be a good person. really, how many atheists and buddhists do you see on death row --pretty much zero
If there was a statistic somewhere, I could tell you. I'm sure there have been athiests on death row. Otherwise I wouldn't hear about all the people that found God while waiting to die.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Flying Circus on July 31, 2008, 08:11:21 AM
If there was a statistic somewhere, I could tell you. I'm sure there have been athiests on death row. Otherwise I wouldn't hear about all the people that found God while waiting to die.
I'm sure people from every religion have been on death row somewhere, but in comparison to the number of Christians, it's almost nothing.

and i'm not insinuating christians are evil, it's just that enforcing the concept that non-christians are evil makes no sense when most of the prison population is composed of supposed christians

And not all prisoners are bad either.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

just1more

Quote from: Lawlz on July 31, 2008, 08:14:20 AM
I'm sure people from every religion have been on death row somewhere, but in comparison to the number of Christians, it's almost nothing.

and i'm not insinuating christians are evil, it's just that enforcing the concept that non-christians are evil makes no sense when most of the prison population is composed of supposed christians

And not all prisoners are bad either.

Well, that may also be because christianity IS the majority religion.  baddood;

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Red Lightning on July 31, 2008, 08:17:20 AM
even then, a greater percentage of "christians" commit murder than atheists goonish

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

NewarkWilder

August 01, 2008, 04:23:59 AM #530 Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 04:44:41 AM by NewarkWilder
Religion is man-made anesthesia for the mind.

Quote from: Lawlz on July 31, 2008, 08:19:30 AM
even then, a greater percentage of "christians" commit murder than atheists goonish

I suppose you have a source to prove that.

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Red Lightning on July 31, 2008, 08:17:20 AM
After thinking about life for so long, I've realized a lot of things.

Christianity maybe the majority of the World's religion, but I have a way of knowing who's really Christian. A Christian, maybe not even know why they're Christian. Why? Because in most cases, families from generation to generation pass on their beliefs, and if they've been forcing their long passed religion to future generations, then they're not really Christians. They never had a choice, they were brainwashed from the start when they came out to this World. They don't know why they should believe in God. So, they relentlessly force their beliefs without a point but "Because he created us.". Other than that, I would want the reasons why, and I've finally found them out, without the Bible's help.

I, in the other hand, have looked in many situations and questioned my life. "Does God really exist?" I've longed for the answer, until I went on Boyah. I have to say, Boyah has a lot of people that are Athiests but never look at all of the facts. I got questioned by my religion almost everyday, until I realized that their are a lot of people who don't know why they believe in God. I almost turned Athiest, but this fact has crushed that. I questoned, why do I believe in God anyway? Well, I've finally go to the point. It's because we all care for each other. We can easily kill a living creature for our own selfishness. But, there's nobody that would actually do such a thing, commonly. We all can't deny that we care for somebody in our lives. We all have the ability of forgiving and respect to one another, and in some cases, generosity. That's why I, believe in God. I don't care about what The Bible asks for us to do, I know that there is a God, because without these kind of urges to be mostly giving by respect, we wouldn't be this big of a civilization that has survived for centuries. We all may do bad things, but commonly, you'll see a lot of people helping one another.

We all feel bad when someone dies, and even when we don't know them, we help when we see the many who's lost in this World. Why do we do such acts? We can't explain it, but I definately know that living in a netural world, would never exist. Nobody helping anybody. People walking by people who are lost in sorrowness and do nothing. I can't see a World where it's like that, unless there is no God. No Scientist, no brainwashed Christian can understand why we have these feelings.

Why do we people care for a newborn creature who we don't know about? Why do we people adopt children? Why don't most of us go for the selfishness most of the time? We all care.

Now as I talked about brainwashed Christians, I'm not going to be like any of those people who don't give an opinion to their own children about which religion to have, or not have one. In the future, when the time comes when I have my own children, I'll let them see the World first, showing what we're all about. Caring. I'll let them choose their own religions when I think they've matured enough to be serious about a belief in Life.

Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Nyerp

Quote from: Vostroya on August 05, 2008, 01:33:22 AM
Additionally, the reason we all have "caring" and all love someone and why most of us wouldn't just kill someone is because society has chosen to set aside certain things as good and bad over the millennia, so that they've become beliefs so firmly held in out culture that they seem natural. I read an article about a "feral girl" the other day -- one of those sad stories about kids neglected in rooms without care or exposure to culture for years -- and there was a comment about how a gorilla trained to express primitive emotion through hand gestures (as has been done) seems much more "human" than this girl who attempted to communicate (presumably) with grunts. So my argument would be that a great majority of things called innately "human" are simply results of us all having been exposed to our respective cultures since the second we were born.

omg i read that too i hope she learns to talk someday

even though it seems like the parents are completely giving up on their son goonish

6M69I69B9

August 05, 2008, 08:41:42 AM #533 Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:38:56 AM by Original_MIB
Quote from: Vostroya on August 05, 2008, 01:33:22 AM
Lovely, but your soliloquy is akin to Pascal's Wager, which is that stupid thing that says "why not just believe in God in case he really exists" -- the problem here and within your thoughts insofar as I can surmise being that God/Christianity/western-religion-what-have-you is treated as the empirical "exists or doesn't" while "atheism" is on the other side.

Well, the saying that "why not just believe in God in case he really exists", is not stupid in my opinion. It's like taking lighter if your candle goes out in the dark. Even though you can just use the lighter for long, it may not have naphtha in it and you can't check because of its solid color, but it's the risk that I'm taking.

I'm not saying that one should consider Hinduism and traditional Eastern religious practices as well, I'm saying, "what the fuck makes these religions more viable than a faith in carrot leaves or the Flying Spaghetti Monster?"

First of all, that's just a joke to make fun of people with religions. I really, believe something with the most positive impact to the World. The Bible may have some things that are idiotically unexplainable, but if you take them literally, then it's really idiotic. For an example: God doesn't accept gays. Well, it doesn't mean that he hates them, and people who read the Bible will come to this conclusion which is why many don't like gays. It also has some words that "males should be superior to women". I don't believe in such facts. It's really, your opinion. You can believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, but I'm not. It's just what the true meaning of one belief is trying to do to the World that makes it a healthy place. Which most people try to give, but don't really know why or most of the facts behind it. The point is what I'm trying to get through, is that you don't have to believe in everything that's in something like the Bible. Just stuff that will make the World a healthier place. A positive life. That't what most people forget.

If you're saying you believe in a preeminent and universal force in reality that instills benevolent hypernorms of social conduct within us, then fine. Fair enough. But when you put the Bible next to Atheism or nontheism or anything else and think "one of these is right," you're wrong.

Well, sorry to give you my opinion. But really, most people have something of the Bible, which was passed down from people who took it literally. For an example: Most people don't like gays, even Athiests like Socks. Why? Because it was passed down from idiotic people who took the Bible literally. Men should always wear the pants in the relationship? That was passed down from the same people, too. And there are more examples.

Additionally, the reason we all have "caring" and all love someone and why most of us wouldn't just kill someone is because society has chosen to set aside certain things as good and bad over the millennia, so that they've become beliefs so firmly held in out culture that they seem natural. I read an article about a "feral girl" the other day -- one of those sad stories about kids neglected in rooms without care or exposure to culture for years -- and there was a comment about how a gorilla trained to express primitive emotion through hand gestures (as has been done) seems much more "human" than this girl who attempted to communicate (presumably) with grunts. So my argument would be that a great majority of things called innately "human" are simply results of us all having been exposed to our respective cultures since the second we were born.

It's not just Humans, it's every organism. Who has started this trait of caring? It can't simply just be "natural". It can't be put that way, unless you can explain. Nothing can cause nothing. What does something cause? The girl was neglected, so it's easily explainable, and the gorilla was trained. (Is that how you were trying to say about the gorilla? Gorillas can't train, unless taught by a talented trainer). Anyway, I guess so. But, what I'm trying to say is that "Who or what caused our cultural to be based on these thoughts? Anyway, most animals reproduce their own babies and take care of them. Why? We were all never told do such things for a conclusion of sexual intercourse. We've cared so much to make a big civilization. And we also even have the physical properties to take care of one. (Breast feeding.)

This topic naturally evolves into the issue of the superiority of the human species and how exactly we are superior; for it certainly seems that we have emotional and other capabilities more advanced than any other animal. So then are traits I've just said are imbued by culture in fact "natural?" Are humans the solitary species of Earth who have the ability to shape reality and prescribe it unto oneself?  This is the question I ponder, but I am still quite certain that the Bible is pure fallacy.

The reason why we're so "superior", is because of our selfishness against other species. You're wrong, they're just not "natural", that's pure ignorance. But, I do agree that most of it is fallacy.  

Look at my bolded states, above this post.

Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

Nyerp

hey mib why don't you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, you know, just in case He exists

6M69I69B9

August 05, 2008, 09:10:11 AM #535 Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:15:08 AM by Original_MIB
Quote from: Nyerp on August 05, 2008, 08:50:36 AM
hey mib why don't you believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, you know, just in case He exists
I don't think believing something that tries to offend another belief has the right mentallity of having a positive World. Also, I believe in something that makes the World a better place. It's a healthy choice, in my opinion. Only if you take the Bible literally, it won't be believable. But really, what if the Flying Spaghetti Monster is really God's true apperance, behind all what Chrisitanity is? Hah. It doesn't matter about his appearance, it's what he has done. Anyway, you can make your own religions, but the fact is, that the Bible has been passed down from time to time. It's history, it's our only source of God. Other religions may have the same, but I'm taking the one that makes most sense.

Why don't you believe in God, incase he exists?

Daddy

Nyerp

Quote from: Original_MIB on August 05, 2008, 09:10:11 AM

Why don't you believe in God, incase he exists?

because what will i gain from it? nothing. nothing but a false faith.

humans should put their faith in logic, not wizards in the sky.

lol i made an oxymoron kinda, "faith in logic"

superclucky

i translate god as a higher self being within myself if that makes any sense
i think that may be called theistic  satanism

it makes all those bible quotes make a little bit more sense
kewns are smelly

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Khadafi on August 05, 2008, 09:11:26 AM
Which God?

What all Catholics believe in.

Quote from: Nyerp on August 05, 2008, 09:13:21 AM
because what will i gain from it? nothing. nothing but a false faith.

humans should put their faith in logic, not wizards in the sky.
You're being ignorant to what I'm trying to say. Read my post again, I've editted it.

Go Up