June 05, 2024, 10:11:06 PM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Do You Believe in God?

Started by Daddy, April 16, 2007, 04:13:26 PM

previous topic - next topic

Do you believe in God?

Yes.
63 (38.7%)
No.
66 (40.5%)
I'm not sure
34 (20.9%)

Total Members Voted: 147

Go Down

guff

Quote from: Vostroya on July 19, 2008, 01:07:10 PM
The possibility that some variety of preeminent force in the universe is a possibility in my mind, but I'm very sure it's not the traditional "God" image.

I see evidence every day in my life that everything is "connected" -- everything we feel and know and are and can be is all part of some underlying field of reality, and I think this is what people throughout history have referred to as "mother nature" or their god(s) of choice.

I say this because I also see evidence that becoming more "in tune" with this force of reality provides tangible results that could be likened to the alleged results of having absolute faith in a deity... and that's why it makes sense to me that throughout history this has been noticed, and has been ascribed with the knowledge of the time to supernatural spirits, the ghosts of ancestors, sun gods, etc.

I am not a believer in Creationism, but I think choosing between one or the other is stupid. Quite literally anything is possible, and there's really no more reason that consciousness should have evolved from single-cell organisms than that consciousness has created itself and everything around it in the reality we observe.
uh okay i'll put you down for "i'm not sure"

YPrrrr

Quote from: Geno on July 19, 2008, 10:52:19 AM
You do know that religion is nothing more than blind faith. There is absolutely no proof that God exists. Any person with a tiny bit of imagination could of written the bible. The reason that most of us here choose not to believe is because alot of us use logic and don't waste our lives away worshipping something that may or may not exist.
So I guess I'm dumb from using logic.
I would just like to remind everyone God is not solely a Biblical creation.

The more you know...

Daddy

Quote from: Yprie on July 19, 2008, 07:55:39 PM
I would just like to remind everyone God is not solely a Biblical creation.

The more you know...
But then which God is telling the truth? meaty cocks

YPrrrr

Quote from: JMV on July 19, 2008, 08:07:40 PM
But then which God is telling the truth? meaty cocks
But then? It's not a condition, it's a fact.

Also, does it matter when you wouldn't believe any of them? I submit that it does not.

Selkie

Something had to be here forever in order to be the very first cause, for no effect can just randomly appear out of nothing.

And if something was there for infinity, it must still be here when everything is gone.

What is left when everything is gone, but some ethereal thing? Matter is gone, energy is gone, our minds are gone.

Knig

Yes, I do believe in a God. I'll have to confirm my suspicions after I'm done reading through Kant's Critique of Reason first, though.

Seems like a bunch of you are big fans of Descartes and Hume.  baddood;

Dullahan

YPrrrr

just1more

I had my Eagle Scout board of Review last night. I'm just thankful they didn't ask me if I believed in God or not, or why such a belief in a supreme being is required in scouting.

At least I'm an Eagle now.  doodella;

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Red Lightning on July 30, 2008, 12:58:38 PM
I had my Eagle Scout board of Review last night. I'm just thankful they didn't ask me if I believed in God or not, or why such a belief in a supreme being is required in scouting.

At least I'm an Eagle now.  doodella;
"The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, Ć¢ā,¬ĖœOn my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.Ć¢ā,¬ā,,¢ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."[2]

Wow, that's pretty shitty.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Hiro

Quote from: Lawlz on July 30, 2008, 03:19:58 PM
"The Boy Scouts of America maintains that no member can grow into the best kind of citizen without recognizing an obligation to God. In the first part of the Scout Oath or Promise the member declares, Ć¢ā,¬ĖœOn my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law.Ć¢ā,¬ā,,¢ The recognition of God as the ruling and leading power in the universe and the grateful acknowledgment of His favors and blessings are necessary to the best type of citizenship and are wholesome precepts in the education of the growing members."[2]

What the fuck when did this happen

guff

Quote from: Vostroya on July 30, 2008, 06:32:17 PM
Return to topic or make another thread about The Lord in Boyscouts of America, please.
it's actually a pretty relevant issue, and encourages better discussion than a simple yes or no question doodthing;

YPrrrr

Quote from: Lawlz on July 30, 2008, 03:19:58 PM

LOL, do they not realize how bigoted that sounds?

just1more

Quote from: Hiro on July 30, 2008, 03:21:20 PM
What the fuck when did this happen

It's always been like this. In fact, the US has the only boy scouting organization in the world that doesn't allow atheists, agnostics, and gays to join. I realized this a few years ago. That's why I've been scared that I wouldn't be able to get eagle, especially since I haven't been to church since my confirmation.

Luckily, my old priest was nice enough to still write me a letter of recommendation.

Also, there has been an ongoing battle to get the BSA to allow atheists, agnostics, and gays to join, but because they claim to be a private organization (even though they get funding from the government and are allowed on government owned lands) they are allowed to discriminate. It's total bullshit.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Flying Circus on July 31, 2008, 07:57:27 AM
LOL, do they not realize how bigoted that sounds?
I think it's intentional.

What doesn't make sense is how so many people, like 80% of the southern US, can think christianity is necessary to be a good person. really, how many atheists and buddhists do you see on death row --pretty much zero
Quote from: Red Lightning on July 31, 2008, 08:03:10 AM
It's always been like this. In fact, the US has the only boy scouting organization in the world that doesn't allow atheists, agnostics, and gays to join. I realized this a few years ago. That's why I've been scared that I wouldn't be able to get eagle, especially since I haven't been to church since my confirmation.

Luckily, my old priest was nice enough to still write me a letter of recommendation.
I'm actually having trouble imagining a person older than 10 still in the boy scouts.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Go Up