April 24, 2024, 04:03:35 AM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I think I'm becoming more liberal

Started by Zach, May 02, 2009, 07:14:49 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

just1more

Quote from: YPR on May 18, 2009, 10:26:54 PM
It's the long island effect, it's not your fault n_u

It really is. Actually my neighborhood is one of the more republican areas, too. I also live in one of the few republican congressional districts in the state, and the only one on long island.

Ezloﺕ

:)

rdl

May 19, 2009, 11:29:53 PM #17 Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 11:33:05 PM by RDX
so what's your stance on israel spam;

On a side note, I'm kind of now convinced that my parents are actually Conservative Republicans. They tend to agree with more conservative policies than liberal ones, but they like candidates from the democratic party more than from the republican party. probably because republicans as of late like killing brown people.

Travis

Zach

Quote from: Trav on May 21, 2009, 04:47:07 PM
they're very similar

but not the same thing

i still don't agree with either of them

Himu

May 22, 2009, 08:35:37 PM #20 Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 04:36:03 PM by Cyanide
I was raised to be conservative.  My parents didn't really go into politics much with me, so I just followed whatever they believed.  Some of it which is pretty trippy.  As I got older I briefly danced on the liberal side, then back to the conservative, and then back to liberal, and the cycle repeated itself.  Eventually I got into a stage where I thought conservatives were all biblethumping bigots who want to control everyone's lives in their own way and that liberals were lazy, bitchy people so deluded in their ideas they stopped making sense.  Rush Limbaugh and Nancy Pelosi were heavy factors because my parents would always talk about how god damn retarded they are since I can remember.  

Now I'm kind of both, although more leaning on the liberal. hocuspocus;

Chōshū

I was raised very conservative, but I've become very liberal over the years.  I wouldn't consider myself a Democrat though.

Zach

Quote from: Ch...sh...« on August 02, 2009, 10:48:08 PM
I was raised very conservative, but I've become very liberal over the years.  I wouldn't consider myself a Democrat though.

Liberalism is an ideology (which is actually completely different than what it is considered to be today; liberalism is actually more in line with libertarianism), while Democrats are simply members of an organization.

Chōshū

Quote from: Zach on August 04, 2009, 12:13:34 AM
Liberalism is an ideology (which is actually completely different than what it is considered to be today; liberalism is actually more in line with libertarianism), while Democrats are simply members of an organization.

Exactly....

Normally liberals gravitate towards the democrats though and conservatives (well, they CALL themselves conservatives) flow into the Republican camp.

Feynman

August 04, 2009, 03:51:00 PM #24 Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 03:56:32 PM by Bassir
My father was always pretty liberal, but never taught me to think any certain way politically—but I was influenced by my father's supporting of several democrats over the years. However, I do not subscribe to one political party, as that would be stupid. Most democrats aren't even truly liberal, they're centrists, and it's a predominately centrist party. Only a few, like Dennis Kucinich are truly liberal.

So, I've always been very liberal, or progressive. However, only recently (a year) did I realize how incompatible religion is with the advancement of the human species and actual progressivism. I'm a devout Atheist and an anti-theist. I absolutely hate organized religion and I find it harmful towards the very intelligence of our race.

I believe all humans are equal, I believe the constitution is the supreme law of the land and strongly believe in it, and I hate how politicians swear onto some best-selling fiction book instead of the constitution. It perturbs me that religion, after 2,000 years still has an influence on our lives and we still erroneously believe in the Judeo-Christian God.

Religion is indeed the root to all evil. People can believe in it, but I feel it should have no goddamn influence on politics at all. We also shouldn't indoctrinate our children into a certain faith. No more "In God We Trust" on our money, no more swearing to the damn fairy tale book of the bible, no more holy wars, no more tax exempt status for churches, no more mentioning Jesus in speeches, no more "God Bless America", no more allowing the teaching of creationism in schools, no more pseudoscience, the government shouldn't let religion rot society to idiocy anymore.

I consider myself liberal.

snorkel

I am literally liberal (not hard-set in beliefs) and politically some amalgamation of libertarian anrcho-capitalist; my mom is a batshit crazy fundie Christian and my dad is a Republican with a couple redeeming factors.

All I have to say to OP is that the "everyone is entitled to their own beliefs" thing is not correct, either.

sans culottes

Quote from: wziard on August 04, 2009, 04:51:56 PM
I am literally liberal (not hard-set in beliefs) and politically some amalgamation of libertarian anrcho-capitalist; my mom is a batshit crazy fundie Christian and my dad is a Republican with a couple redeeming factors.

All I have to say to OP is that the "everyone is entitled to their own beliefs" thing is not correct, either.

Damn, I'm a lot like you right there. I'm something in between a liberal and a hardcore libertarian. My mom is a batshit crazy fundie, and my dad is a sensible republican (he votes for the GOP but I'd really consider him more of a libertarian).

Tip for OP: Don't be a "liberal", don't be a "conservative". They both suck ass.
I support BUSH

Oh

I remember when I used to love the United States, I thought it was the perfect country, that god loved you if you were Christian, then I found out it's all just a horrible lie. I think it's pretty disgusting how hospitals throw out citizens, merely because they can't pay for their outrageous medical bills. I mean, I used to think that "It's better if we just destroy them before they destroy us", but I realized violence really doesn't resolve anything, it just makes you look stupid. And the politicians, this government is so messed up, that companies can change the democratically elected representatives with money. I used to be proud of this country but now I thinks it's just ignorant and ruled by the corrupt.

Title

Most liberals are fucking dumbasses who are liberal for the sole reason that it's the hip thing to do and because Bush was a bad president. It's actually really ironic because we like to paint conservatives as the more uneducated people, which is only true in the South, really. Liberals have no idea why they're liberal. Most people have no idea why they voted for Barack Obama.

Oh

Quote from: Title on August 15, 2009, 08:47:43 PM
Most liberals are fucking dumbasses who are liberal for the sole reason that it's the hip thing to do and because Bush was a bad president. It's actually really ironic because we like to paint conservatives as the more uneducated people, which is only true in the South, really. Liberals have no idea why they're liberal. Most people have no idea why they voted for Barack Obama.
Both parties have their hand of retards.  akudood; The Republicans just have more ignorant people who ride the Jesus train and the money train.  akudood;

Go Up