October 25, 2024, 01:22:27 AM

1,531,340 Posts in 46,732 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Sakura Matsuri. :O

Started by Sam, April 19, 2009, 01:48:08 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Sam

I think you all should go to the Cherry Blossom Festival in NYC. It's great fun, May 2-3 (I'll be there the 2nd in cosplay), and yeah, Just go.

it's in the Brooklyn Botanic Garden, in -duh- Brooklyn. I take the train and subway there fro about $20 total then Iit's $12 to get in or $6 if you have a student ID.

QuoteSakura Matsuri, New York City's "rite of spring," marks its 28th year with over 50 events and performances celebrating Japanese culture and the blossoming of BBG's 220 cherry trees. Visitors to the weekend-long Cherry Blossom Festival can enjoy a range of performances from traditional Japanese music and dance to concerts by some of Japan's hottest J-pop stars, plus taiko drumming, an anime voice actor panel, bonsai pruning workshops, J-pop DJs, a traditional kimono show, and demonstrations and workshops for all ages. Bring your camera and join anime comedian Uncle Yo and the World Cosplay Summit Team USA in a giant Sakura Matsuri cosplay photo shoot!

For those who don't know the trees were a gift from Japan  a couple decades ago, so it's pretty much a celebration of japanese culture. There's tons of Japanese food and shows and music and panels and everything. It's a lot of fun, cheap, and a great way to spend a day.

Just thought I'd spread the news since I never understand why more people don't go to this.

http://www.bbg.org/exp/cherries/sakura.html
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

YPrrrr

Because Washington DC is much closer and has better cherry blossoms

ME##

Quote from: YPR on April 19, 2009, 02:08:58 PM
Because Washington DC is much closer and has better cherry blossoms

I'd have to agree with YPR here.   

DC seems like a nicer city anyway.

l a c e y

does this mean that there is going to be tons of japanese people?

Sam

Quote from: divaD on April 19, 2009, 02:12:35 PM
I'd have to agree with YPR here.   

DC seems like a nicer city anyway.

The events are timed around when the cherry blossoms bloom. Obviously, it gets warmer in DC before Brooklyn, so their blossoms have already bloomed and the event has already passed. I personally love NYC and think it's a great city as long as you stay in the correct parts. The Botanic Garden is in a nice area of Brooklyn, next to a museum thingy and some other nice store buildings, I think. I have a bad memory.

I dunno, personally I'm much closer to NYC than DC, so going all the way down there for the cherry blossom festival just seems silly.

And besides, I had a fantastic time last year at the BBG. Even if it's not superior to DC, it's a damn good time. Here's a picture I took last year:

YPrrrr

Quote from: Sam on April 19, 2009, 03:39:06 PM
The events are timed around when the cherry blossoms bloom. Obviously, it gets warmer in DC before Brooklyn, so their blossoms have already bloomed and the event has already passed. I personally love NYC and think it's a great city as long as you stay in the correct parts. The Botanic Garden is in a nice area of Brooklyn, next to a museum thingy and some other nice store buildings, I think. I have a bad memory.

I dunno, personally I'm much closer to NYC than DC, so going all the way down there for the cherry blossom festival just seems silly.

Yeah and it seems silly for me to go to NYC for a cherry blossom festival hocuspocus;

Sam

Quote from: YPR on April 19, 2009, 03:45:50 PM
Yeah and it seems silly for me to go to NYC for a cherry blossom festival hocuspocus;

Well yeah I wouldn't expect you to.

It was more for people who are more in the area. We have a lot of New York members. and even, like, jimvers isn't that far.

l a c e y

i like when people get tattoos of thse flowers.

Feynman

my dad works so close to that

i might go

Sam

Quote from: Bassir on April 19, 2009, 04:03:41 PM
my dad works so close to that

i might go

do it :o

You can see me :3

actually maybe I don't want you to see me

THE MYSTERY WOULD BE RUINED

Sam

Quote from: lacette on April 19, 2009, 04:01:16 PM
i like when people get tattoos of thse flowers.

They had free temporary tattoo stations of the flowers and you could have them put on as many flowers as you wanted. :o

l a c e y

Quote from: Sam on April 19, 2009, 04:46:58 PM
They had free temporary tattoo stations of the flowers and you could have them put on as many flowers as you wanted. :o

i love getting those damn temporary tattoos.
i would have done that and got lots.

strongbad

There was one of these in WA yesterday and my asian friend went so he could pick up some Japanese girls lol

Feynman

Quote from: Sam on April 19, 2009, 04:45:48 PM
do it :o

You can see me :3

actually maybe I don't want you to see me

i don't think i want to see you either n_u

Sam

Go Up