Did the internet change your religious beliefs?

Started by Feynman, February 15, 2009, 09:19:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Did it?

Yes.
No. Or at least not yet.
Go Down

just1more

To tell you the truth, I don't really remember ever actually believing in God, or Santa for that matter. Maybe I was too young when I did believe in them to remember.

Now the Easter Bunny on the other hand, I believed in him up until I was 10.  saddood;

sans culottes

I can't tell. I began to actively use the internet when I was twelve, and at the time I was a Christian. I didn't really give much of a shit about it, but I would defend it if challenged. As time passed, I became barely Christian, as in "oh yeah god and jesus woohoo i don't give a fuck much though" and now I'm agnostic. The internet introduced me to a wider range of theologic views, but without it I'm pretty sure I'd reject Christianity at some point in my youth.

The internet is very responsible for atheism's spread, though. Fifty or a hundred years ago, atheism was a synonym for smart because it was rare to come across vocal atheists and those who were vocal atheists were rejected by society. Today, any kid can go online and feel enlightened. That's where you get a lot of internet users on a zealous crusade under a different name.
I support BUSH

6M69I69B9

Quote from: YPR on February 15, 2009, 09:22:48 PM
No, not really... I mean they've been challenged here more than anywhere out in the real world, but it hasn't influenced me in any significant way. I've never tried to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, I just try to live and let live
Sometimes, you post what I was going to post. I like you.

Anyway, I found out about William Lane Craig's debates with a lot of Athiests on YouTube. I can't believe he never lost a debate. Well, most of the one's I've watched, were won by him, but nobody ever mentions of his losses (If he even lost any debates), not even some Athiests. Anyway, there was one time where I almost became an Athiest, but watching his debates made me get away from that. His website: reasonablefaith.com, has so many articles about all of this stuff.

He made me discover more about Christianity than anything or anybody else.
Quote from: Travis on April 03, 2015, 10:52:52 PM
gotta eat the booty like groceries

Quote from: Travis on March 01, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
Quote from: reefer on March 01, 2018, 06:15:08 PM
Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

the earth is flat you globecuck

Daddy

Link me to some of these "wins".  baddood;

the first one i found is him basically whining "stephen hawking said that if universe was a 20340340304034030 bit smaller it would have collapsed and there is a 1 in 0330030403400340304034034^04304030430 chance blah" as if they're proof of God.

Okay, even if the chance is small, it just means we made the small chance. Otherwise we wouldn't exist to know how we didn't make the chance. Maybe there were billions of billions of big bangs before the last one? The argument that the chance is really small and thus God had to do it is just stupid.

guff

also yeah winning a debate and being right are two different issues  baddood;

6M69I69B9

March 05, 2009, 03:21:51 PM #35 Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 05:10:03 PM by Original_MIB
Quote from: Raekewn on March 05, 2009, 02:36:49 PM
Link me to some of these "wins".  baddood;

the first one i found is him basically whining "stephen hawking said that if universe was a 20340340304034030 bit smaller it would have collapsed and there is a 1 in 0330030403400340304034034^04304030430 chance blah" as if they're proof of God.

Okay, even if the chance is small, it just means we made the small chance. Otherwise we wouldn't exist to know how we didn't make the chance. Maybe there were billions of billions of big bangs before the last one? The argument that the chance is really small and thus God had to do it is just stupid.
You try to be in one of his "Questions of the Week". Anyway, some people think of his arguements as "almost undefeated". But anyway, the decision on whoever lost or won is really depended on the opinion of the viewer. I only chose about seven debates, then gave up. I don't mean the clips themselves have proven a "victory", but the whole debate of those parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qT1pp_jCUw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRadlJH67D0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fByVAPQdaiw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwqnyu6UgGE&feature=PlayList&p=BA8DC00322DBB639&index=13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUsMHSeWvaA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EJ39RMSXvk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrmCihGWVSg&feature=related

So many YouTubers love to debate. Debates are everywhere in YouTube. Even look in the comments of this debate. Barely commenting on the WLC's debates.

Go on his website, he even gives you some transcripts of his debates, but not all, though.

Oh god, his debate with Christopher Hitchens on 4/4 will be intense.

Technology and globalism go hand and hand. If you want to be on the forefront of technology then you gotta be global

Slim

Quote from: Original_MIB on March 05, 2009, 03:21:51 PMOh god, his debate with Christopher Hitchens on 4/4 will be intense.

Source stating that this event is going to happen, please.
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Slim on March 06, 2009, 01:40:47 PM
Source stating that this event is going to happen, please.

To give a very reliable source, I'll give you the source that their debate is going to take place at.

http://www.biola.edu/academics/professional-studies/apologetics/events/

This will be a good debate.

Daddy

Quote from: Original_MIB on March 06, 2009, 02:28:23 PM
To give a very reliable source, I'll give you the source that their debate is going to take place at.

http://www.biola.edu/academics/professional-studies/apologetics/events/

This will be a good debate.

Quote from: Original_MIB on March 06, 2009, 02:28:23 PMbiola
LMAO
QuoteBiola University is a nationally ranked private evangelical Christian university located in Southern California

Who would willingly describe themselves as "evangelical"? Also, I can feel the bias already.

'so wear did lyk cum frum. oh how about da universe. oh pascals wager. what proof lol'

Slim

Quote from: Original_MIB on March 06, 2009, 02:28:23 PMThis will be a good debate.

Only if Hitchens is in a bad mood. When he's too polite, like he was with Dinesh D'souza, it starts to get boring.

Quote from: Raekewn on March 06, 2009, 02:33:26 PM
LMAO
Who would willingly describe themselves as "evangelical"? Also, I can feel the bias already.

'so wear did lyk cum frum. oh how about da universe. oh pascals wager. what proof lol'

All that means is that the moderator will probably be privately rooting for the Christian guy, but if he's a good moderator, it shouldn't show.
baddood;
Quote from: Snowy Deluxe on July 07, 2011, 04:05:09 PM
Hey look I'm Slim and I act like an asshole because it makes me cool! Right guys?

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Raekewn on March 06, 2009, 02:33:26 PM
LMAO

We'll all see on April 4th. If he'll "lose" or "win" this debate.

Also, do you believe science can solve everything in the world? Just asking, really.

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Slim on March 06, 2009, 02:35:57 PM
Only if Hitchens is in a bad mood. When he's too polite, like he was with Dinesh D'souza, it starts to get boring.

I wanna see a debate between Richard Dawkins and William Lane Craig.

Daddy

Quote from: Original_MIB on March 06, 2009, 02:40:39 PM
We'll all see on April 4th. If he'll "lose" or "win" this debate.
You can't really "win" or "lose" a debate. It's up to the viewer, so if you are watching it as a Christian wanting validation of your beliefs you're going to feel that the Christian won, and an atheist would feel otherwise.  Unless, the other person is completely destroyed and it's clear.
Also, do you believe science can solve everything in the world? Just asking, really.
It can attempt to solve most things, but "everything", no.
However, it says nothing for the existence of a god.
Science once couldn't explain why it rained so it was attributed to gods. Clearly we know that's not why it rains now.
There is some stuff that we won't be able to prove, and that's okay.  Science isn't supposed to explain everything.

6M69I69B9

Quote from: Raekewn on March 06, 2009, 02:49:41 PM
You can't really "win" or "lose" a debate. It's up to the viewer, so if you are watching it as a Christian wanting validation of your beliefs you're going to feel that the Christian won, and an atheist would feel otherwise.  Unless, the other person is completely destroyed and it's clear.

It can attempt to solve most things, but "everything", no.
However, it says nothing for the existence of a god.
Science once couldn't explain why it rained so it was attributed to gods. Clearly we know that's not why it rains now.
There is some stuff that we won't be able to prove, and that's okay.  Science isn't supposed to explain everything.

That's why I put quotes on 'win' and 'lose', because one can't really determine one's win with just the moderator. You also have to support this opinion with what you thought about this debate. Whatever you just though of, may cause an arguement between you and another who has a different opinion on whoever their supporting that opposes your opinion. Maybe I just used them wrong?

Also, name some examples that science cannot solve, please.

guff

Quote from: Original_MIB on March 06, 2009, 02:59:18 PM
Also, name some examples that science cannot solve, please.
well for one thing there's the heisenberg uncertainty principle but that only applies on the very teensy tiny level  akudood;

Go Up