Did the internet change your religious beliefs?

Started by Feynman, February 15, 2009, 09:19:20 PM

previous topic - next topic

Did it?

Yes.
No. Or at least not yet.
Go Down

Feynman

Did the internet change your religious beliefs? Or at least influence you to rethink your beliefs?

I think that the internet, allowing us to access large amounts of information, is indeed a life-changing technology. If I didn't have an internet connection, I'm pretty sure I'd still be a blind creationist/monotheist that shoves his beliefs down others' throats.

Since schools don't teach you much about religion, and many teachers still speak of an entity such as "God" as if it definitely exists, school really doesn't change your religious beliefs too much. But unlimited access to information thanks to the internet can very much change your outlook on the world.

YPrrrr

No, not really... I mean they've been challenged here more than anywhere out in the real world, but it hasn't influenced me in any significant way. I've never tried to shove my beliefs down anyone's throat, I just try to live and let live

ncba93ivyase

When I was about 4 years old, I doubted the existence of any sort of god. When I was about 7, I determined there probably wasn't any but I can't completely declare it impossible.

My views haven't changed since that time ten years ago, so no, the internet hasn't in any way influenced my religious beliefs. However, it has completely desensitized me to everything.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

YPrrrr

Quote from: Pancake Persona on February 15, 2009, 10:01:43 PM
When I was about 4 years old, I doubted the existence of any sort of god. When I was about 7, I determined there probably wasn't any but I can't completely declare it impossible.

Did you move to the south when you were 7?

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: YPR on February 15, 2009, 10:04:29 PM
Did you move to the south when you were 7?
No, I only came here 4 years ago.

I really don't know what made me stop believing. One thing I do remember was seeing a report on America's Most Wanted, where a family lost their daughter the day after she completely denounced the existence of god. They were saying some mexican or something took her away and killed her, but it was obvious it was the parents that killed her for being a blasphemer and just made up some shit.

I think right after I saw that I decided to challenge the idea of a god, because nothing that really loves everyone would kill a person just for that, and I guess it just stuck.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Houdini

No, I don't consider anyone on the internet worth taking seriously.

Selkie

Not at all. I kinda just started to feel that it's much more important to live for yourself and others than to live for some god.

I don't doubt the existence of God, or any religious figure, I believe anything is possible for the afterlife, but still, I don't put religion very high on my list of important things in my life.

superclucky

I never really had any strong religious upbringing as a kid. (I didn't believe in a god because I though, LOL BUT THEN WHO CREATED GOD and no one gave me a proper answer ;_;)
kewns are smelly

russell

No. At no point was I convinced of Christianity (my upbringing familiarly and educationally), or anything else, and after I started reading books and actually involving myself in the world when I was 12-13 it seemed clear that institutionalized religion was irrelevant.

Daddy

No, the shit was forced upon me as a child so I read the Bible and saw it was bullshit and moved on from there.  wariodood;

FAMY2

No. i still have the same beliefs I have always had.

Tri4se

In a way. It made me think instead of taking everything face value.

just1more

No, just reinforced them. I was already questioning religion before I started using the internet.

Lance Corporal Atlas

Well, I used to think it was the religious fanatics that would always bitch to atheists, but now I realized that more often it's atheists bitching to people with a religion.

Daddy

Quote from: ƃĀø Lance * Corporal * Atlas ƃĀø on February 16, 2009, 01:49:13 PM
Well, I used to think it was the religious fanatics that would always bitch to atheists, but now I realized that more often it's atheists bitching to people with a religion.
Trolling is fun because it pisses people off.  giggle;

Go Up