What IDEs and Text Editors do you use to do your coding in?

Started by Daddy, January 10, 2009, 08:53:41 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Coda: PHP/CSS/Javascript/HTML
Smultron: Javascript/Python
IDLE: Python
Netbeans: Java
XCode: C

I also have Komodo, Eclipse, and Zend Studio installed.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

guff

i use smultron for most of my coding, but i've also started using nano in the terminal because if i'm just doing something small and simple that's quicker, especially for languages with silly interpreters like haskell and prolog that don't let you do certain things (well most of the stuff you can get around in haskell i think not sure about prolog) so you have to actually execute a file akudood;

but yeah i've tried using various ides but i've yet to write anything massive enough to warrant them and so i just use text editors and the standard interpreters/compilers

also since when do you write c madood;

Lotos

Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Express Edition and Notepad.  I'm still at 1.1 at learncpp's lesson though :(  Can't the dumb it down for me just a little more?

guff

mikemmcmeans

processing       ///// fun java apps
jcreator           ///// java of any sort
cmd                ///// command line
notepad          ///// autohotkey
dreamweaver  ///// html/xml/css

bassir; i have served you
i'll rip your skin off bitch

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: mikemmcmeans on January 31, 2009, 04:15:17 PM
processing       ///// fun java apps
jcreator           ///// java of any sort
cmd                ///// command line
notepad          ///// autohotkey
dreamweaver  ///// html/xml/css

bassir; i have served you
No, but I'm sure you made us all chuckle.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Daphnia

Gladjaframpf

Most of the time I just use vim and I feel like I'm actually getting a handle on it now. The only IDE I use is DrScheme because it's really handy for testing bits of code.

I've used Eclipse and Visual Studio in the past and I find they're particularly useful when you have lots of classes in separate files but I haven't been doing any of that lately.

I guess since I'm not using Windows anymore I'll have to find an alternative to Visual Studio if I ever want an IDE for C++ again.

guff

Quote from: Gladjaframpf on February 03, 2009, 08:15:22 PM
Most of the time I just use vim and I feel like I'm actually getting a handle on it now.
i've looked into both vim and emacs but i just couldn't get started with either though i would like parens-matching (which i believe at least one of them has probably both) and the other benefits that come along with them but neither seems very accessible to someone who doesn't already know how to use them  akudood;

when a command line editor is more convenient though (testing a couple of lines of code usually or editing a small bit of a config file) i just use nano which is a bit easier  baddood;

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: guff on February 03, 2009, 08:25:38 PM
when a command line editor is more convenient though (testing a couple of lines of code usually or editing a small bit of a config file) i just use nano which is a bit easier  baddood;
i actually think vim is 'easier' than nano

its keyboard commands are a bit crazy most of the time, but it feels smoother than nano when you know how to use them

Gladjaframpf

Vim takes a lot of getting used to, but it's amazingly powerful when you know how to use it. I'm only just starting to get the hang of it after using it on and off for the past year or so, but now that I feel comfortable with it I can see why it's so popular.

You could try something like eVim, which is basically a simplified version. It has paren-matching and some other nice stuff but not all the complicated modes.

guff

Quote from: Gladjaframpf on February 04, 2009, 02:32:03 PM
You could try something like eVim, which is basically a simplified version. It has paren-matching and some other nice stuff but not all the complicated modes.
okay sounds cook but uh how do i get it and then use it i can't find much info on it akudood;

bluaki

I usually use Notepad++ but that's just because it's the first one I found. I dunno if there're any ones on Windows considered better than it.

Gladjaframpf

Quote from: guff on February 04, 2009, 03:44:54 PM
okay sounds cook but uh how do i get it and then use it i can't find much info on it akudood;

If you already have vim then you should be able to starting using either "evim" or "vim -y" from the terminal. It's not even a different program, just vim with some funny options set at startup.

If you don't have vim then this appears to where they keep the OSX version.

Go Up