April 23, 2024, 03:47:37 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Movies - you've seen recently?

Started by reeper, November 27, 2008, 08:46:14 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

Quote from: 'Ð½Ð¾',кел on December 28, 2008, 12:48:58 PM
28 Weeks Later is one of the movies I've seen but never rated on IMDB or Netflix, because I have such mixed feelings about it. I dislike it a bit more than I like it though.

Last night I finally saw Slumdog Millionaire (downloaded a leaked screener DVD, I love the people who leak those), and I regret waiting so long. It's about as good as everyone says it is and not much more... definitely in my top 10 of the year; not in my top 10 ever. It's a pretty moving story and would actually be too serious, I think, if it didn't have that Danny Boyle flair -- ie soundtrack featuring MIA, feel good romance story, disturbingly funny moments involving shit, choreographed Bollywood-style dance number in credits. So overall a 9/10 from me for a unique, insightful, and well-produced movie.

Movies I will watch soon: Milk, Sukiyaki Western Django (finally), Che (Steven Soderbergh; it's a 4 hour long Benicio Del Toro fest), and some indie movies that made a bunch of top 10 of the year lists that I want to see.
Sukiyaki Western Django is very weird. A beautiful looking movie with some awesome parts but the story is mediocre.

reeper

Planet Terror - What the shit this was awesome. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time. So many well done zombie-like monsters with great make-up. One of the best zombie-like movies I've ever seen.

Nyerp

russell

Finally watched Sukiyaki Western Django last night. It's an Asian (Japanese, I think) spaghetti western co-starring Quentin Tarantino, which means it must be awesome.

The beginning is discouraging, because it's bizarre, but the rest is incredible. Definitely in my top 5 ever for cinematography because of some of the best color grading I've ever seen, as well as very good shot design, sets, etc.

The acting was unique because it was all Asian actors speaking broken English... the movie is hard to watch without English subtitles. It's weird because there's sad and emotional parts, but they're delivered in Engrish. Sounds stupid but it adds character.

Overall it gets a 37.5/40 on my Top Movies scale, and I'm excited to watch some of the director's other movies. By the way, this one is worth watching just for the Tarantino cameos

Houdini

Synecdoche, New York. One of the best movies to come out this year, if you can figure out what the hell is going on.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Saw The Spirit

Overacting at it's finest

russell

Quote from: Houdini on December 29, 2008, 04:36:15 PM
Synecdoche, New York. One of the best movies to come out this year, if you can figure out what the hell is going on.

yes, that is definitely in my top 5 favorites this year

Hermione Granger

reeper

Quote from: 'Ð½Ð¾',кел on December 29, 2008, 12:24:13 PM
Finally watched Sukiyaki Western Django last night. It's an Asian (Japanese, I think) spaghetti western co-starring Quentin Tarantino, which means it must be awesome.

The beginning is discouraging, because it's bizarre, but the rest is incredible. Definitely in my top 5 ever for cinematography because of some of the best color grading I've ever seen, as well as very good shot design, sets, etc.

The acting was unique because it was all Asian actors speaking broken English... the movie is hard to watch without English subtitles. It's weird because there's sad and emotional parts, but they're delivered in Engrish. Sounds stupid but it adds character.

Overall it gets a 37.5/40 on my Top Movies scale, and I'm excited to watch some of the director's other movies. By the way, this one is worth watching just for the Tarantino cameos
The movie is beautiful looking, it really is.

But the story isn't that great. I got it on Blu-ray and I am pretty pleased. The Audition rules too, same director.

Wrench

Pyrate

I watched The Silence of the Lambs last night for an hour. So far so good.

russell

Watched Gomorra last night, a recent film from Italy about modern crime families. It's pretty good, very indie production but very well-done, and good acting... engaging story, as most crime movies tend to have. I recommend it, it's a bit hard to find though.

Selkie

Step Brothers. Obviously shit, but I can't deny I laughed my ass off at the part when Will Ferrel's brother and family were singing Sweet Child O' Mine in the car.

superclucky

Quote from: Pyrate on December 31, 2008, 10:26:04 AM
I watched The Silence of the Lambs last night for an hour. So far so good.
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. ;_;
kewns are smelly

Pyrate

Quote from: Lawlz on December 31, 2008, 11:20:56 AM
It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again. ;_;

Today's Anthony Hopkins' birthday. n_u

Go Up