March 28, 2024, 02:05:42 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

silvertone

reading the fall of reach. da halo book ...and its so far like a better and less annoying starship troopers cos its aware how fucked military and black project shit is also  has john 117 as mc

and the killer inside me by thompson. which so far is about as good as any other book ive read by him which means it is great

Samus Aran

i read The Remains of the Day and it was phenomenal

both Ishiguro books i've read now (Remains and Never Let Me Go) are both huge favorites of mine, crazy

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

started reading The Power of Myth on the flight back to Portland last month. Got rec'd that book from my old acting teacher. It's basically an interview with this guy who talks a lot about how myth and stories are created, and how they appear in different cultures. The guy spins a compelling yarn but i can't help but feel like it's too uh..."H I P P Y D I P P Y" for me. Had this checked out from the library for a few years so looking forward to being done with it.

also started reading this collection of orwell essays. Right now the one I'm reading is about growing up in an expensive all boys school.  He talks alot of about how his family was very poor and wouldn't have been able to afford the school without some sort of assistance from the government. He also talks a lot about how the other kids and even the faculty wouldn't let him forget that his family couldn't afford the place on their own either. I forget how much I enjoy orwell's writing, feel like it's easy to get caught up in the meme of 1984 but Orwell does a great job of setting the scene for you.

strongbad

Finished A Song of Ice and Fire series (so far ofc) and it set my expectations for other fantasy WAY TOO HIGH

Trying and failing to scratch that same itch with Brandon Sanderson (first book of the storm light archives) and it's fine but the characters and world are just so shallow compared to GoT

Go Up