June 04, 2024, 05:59:44 PM

1,531,631 Posts in 46,728 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

I guess this goes here [Essay]

Started by fox127, November 25, 2008, 03:27:02 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

fox127

It's my essay for my english class, I was just wondering if it's any good >.<
It's about an abstract word, I chose "Love".
----------------------

Ava Adore...
   Love; what is it? An emotion and nothing more? Or is it something many (if not all) strive for? Itâ,,,s something that we can embrace, use, touch, or have; itâ,,,s something that can either come to us or we can hunt for it. Love is an all-around feeling, we all have a slight sense of what it can be, what it should be, what we want it to be. Even though there are those who find themselves lost for love from a certain person, be it family or friend, or something further. Obviously, no two views of this word are the same, everyone sees this word as how theyâ,,,ve felt or experienced it.
   How strong is love? Is it everlasting? Or never existing? Well, depending on who you ask is the answer you get; some people live with no love, much less recognition from the person the want it most from and there are those who a simply sicken by the overpowering amount of it. Some come home (if they even call it that) and find an empty space with no respect, no need, or absolutely no recognition. Some arenâ,,,t even welcome due to personal reasons. Then are the others who are saluted every time the walk into a room, exposed to the â,"lovey-dovey mushyâ,-ness that they slowly grow tired of.  In the end, there are those who find themselves in a middle ground; where itâ,,,s just the â,"normalâ, family that gives the needed amount of love, no more and no less. A family without favorites, if you will, that tries itâ,,,s best to keep together, instead of pulling too close to pushing too far. Would you call this family â,"normalâ,? Can it truly exist without dispute in any way? Normal or not, it highly doubtful that a completely neutral family exists, thereâ,,,s too many things a teenager can do to disturb itâ,,,s neutrality.
   After itâ,,,s form in family, there is the love between friends, mostly a strong bond built on common liking or disliking of anything (if not, everything). Itâ,,,s a spontaneous spark of quickly getting along, sometimes itâ,,,s a quick, â,"how did it happen?â, sort of process while other times itâ,,,s a long, strenuous process in which every detail is easily forgotten. But every friendship is bound to either flaw or sometimes an inevitable and unstoppable fading away. Surely, itâ,,,s possible to have a friend throughout your entire life; but is that person the same throughout or does he or she change along with the times and do you? Will this lead to further and deeper bonding or just a argument down the road we call life? Itâ,,,s extremely hard to say since no two people are the same and no friendship is truly perfect. Jealousy, fear, anger, lust, stupidity; all come to mind in what can ruin a friendship, whereas laughter, fun, conversation, understanding of each other all help it. A friendship is a wonderful thing if you confide in the right person and try your best to keep from wrecking it.
   Now, a much more complicated sense of this word is a relationship; something a little more intimate compared to a friendship. Itâ,,,s something we find (or try to find, or even just define) during our teenage years. Though at that time we never really know what it is and what it can lead to, itâ,,,s something we may strive for as of this point on and beyond. An intimate relationship is much more sensitive in where you have to take the other person into even further consideration. This person (be it friend of many years or less) becomes not just a the human being you have known, something more passionate, but a significant other. Now love becomes more then a bond but a link between two people, two personalities, two â,"soulsâ,", that can remain solid and powerful (though, only when itâ,,,s the right people and not some sort of fling and thing). A true intimate relationship cannot be torn apart by opinion of those who want it to end and have no consideration of either persons feelings, it must stand through the hottest of firestorms. Of course, there is always the fairy-tale love most grow up listening to; where the prince finds the princess, kisses her upon her lips and is instantly give passionate and intense feelings for this stranger even if she has no idea where he comes from and why. Obviously, this isnâ,,,t the best sense of love, since it doesnâ,,,t necessarily work in this world. As humans, we are social beings that live through expression and interaction, not fairy-tale enchantment.
   In every sense, love is a powerful feeling, something we cannot touch, smell, hear, taste, or see; at least, that is what we believe, do we not sense the person who loves us or the one we love? All senses come alive to this word if you find the person to share this large and never dying feeling. There is a love for everyone and everything and even how we choose to express it. Whether we want to receive it or give it away, itâ,,,s something cherished that we have. Love is a human emotion and we should be thankful for it, because without it we would just be another animal out in the plains trying to survive. It should be said that we did evolve, did we not? Why should we abuse something that only we have? Love is a human emotion and nothing should render it as nothing, itâ,˜s something significant. Something special.

Eddie.
Pd One, AP English. 11/24

Ava Adore, the title of this essay is inspired by a song by The Smashing Pumpkins

strongbad

i was just going to say tl;dr and leave the rest blank but that would be mean
pretty good. i mostly skimmed, but it looks alright. I suck at criticism so i'll let somebody else tackle that.

YPrrrr

You generally want to avoid asking questions, it's considered bad style I believe

The artist formally known

Quote from: Green Monkeys on November 25, 2008, 09:03:04 PM
You generally want to avoid asking questions, it's considered bad style I believe
No it's not.

YPrrrr

Samus Aran

Quote from: reefer on November 26, 2008, 04:09:46 PM
No it's not.

Have you never had to write a formal essay before, or have you never had teachers that use the typical rules for one?

russell

besides the grammatical errors like it's/its and semicolon abuse, I hate this because it's generic and embodies everything I despise of pointless and bad writing.

if you want to make a good essay, eliminate all the stupid question phrases (they're annoying, and regardless of whether they're fit for a formal essay or not, more than one is just unnecessary from any perspective); most importantly, say something unique and controversial and interesting that will make people actually enjoy reading past the first paragraph.

like steal said, this essay is very indirect and definitely not engaging, and it's not engaging because everyone knows at least generally what "love" is, so unless you're writing salacious sex stories, no one is going to care. you want to be bold and titillating.

fox127

Well, barring how it may seem bad (even I think so), it got a B+. I'm happy, thanks for the comments :3

Go Up