March 28, 2024, 11:20:19 AM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

2008 Election Thread - Props only

Started by reeper, October 24, 2008, 04:01:39 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

October 24, 2008, 04:01:39 PM Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 03:40:02 AM by reefer
What props are you voting on? Some states have their own props.

Prop 8 - California: Ban gay marriage. Right now it's legal and they're trying to ban it.
Prop 1a - California: Create a bullet train, costs $10-30 million. Goes from LA to San Fran and then some. Goes through my town.

j o e i n c

guff

uh there were a few florida constitutional amendments concerning schools and stuff that got taken off the ballot by the courts for being misleading
the only one still on the ballot that's controversial to any extent is amendment 2, which would define marriage as being between one man and one woman but would also potentially eliminate the legal standing and benefits associated with heterosexual domestic partnerships and whatnot

i'm voting against it, and i would even if it didn't affect domestic partnerships

ME##

The only one I can think of is one that would change the language in our constitution to state that a person who cannot vote based on mental reasons is 'a person adjudged mentally incompetent to vote' from 'idiot or insane person.'

guff

Quote from: ME86 on October 24, 2008, 05:02:03 PM
The only one I can think of is one that would change the language in our constitution to state that a person who cannot vote based on mental reasons is 'a person adjudged mentally incompetent to vote' from 'idiot or insane person.'
i just did a googly search to find state constitutions with that language and found a bunch of people whining about how mean it sounds

but uh given that most of those documents were written at a time when "idiot" just referred to mental illness
maybe they should petition to change fyodor dostoyevsky's the idiot to the person adjudged mentally incompetent baddood;

reeper

Quote from: joeinc on October 24, 2008, 04:20:42 PM
proposition 1000- assisted suicide
Really? Thats pretty weird, people are usually so anti-death of anything at all ever.

I'd vote to accept assisted suicides, I can't see how someone isn't allowed to end their own life though I think suicide is for the weak. If you have cancer and won't survive and have no one to care for you, then I think it's just.

YPrrrr

Quote from: reefer on October 25, 2008, 03:39:42 AM
Really? Thats pretty weird, people are usually so anti-death of anything at all ever.

Considering abortion and capital punishment are both legal, I don't think that's necessarily true

ME##

Quote from: Flying Circus on October 25, 2008, 12:51:40 PM
Considering abortion and capital punishment are both legal, I don't think that's necessarily true

I think what he meant by that is that people are anti-death when it would effect their own life.

Houdini

Quote from: ME86 on October 25, 2008, 01:45:48 PM
I think what he meant by that is that people are anti-death when it would effect their own life.
Not when they're terminally ill. When people know they're going to die, they usually prefer to die quickly and painlessly rather than slowly and painfully.

Daddy

Repeal state income tax
Ban Greyhound Racing
Decriminalize Marijuana

strongbad

Quote from: joeinc on October 24, 2008, 04:20:42 PM
proposition 1000- assisted suicide

My parents were just talking about that (lol you live in washington too, good work). I don't really know which side I'd want to take.

Daddy

Quote from: the guy with the $5000 suit on October 27, 2008, 10:02:07 PM
My parents were just talking about that (lol you live in washington too, good work). I don't really know which side I'd want to take.
I support it.  People deserve to die with dignity and if they are found to have a terminal illness and they start shutting down and are going to end up shitting themselves and not being able to do anything but lie there they should have the right to choose to die rather than just losing any dignity they may have.

It is easier for the person and their family, depending on the situation. It should be an option.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Kewn on October 27, 2008, 09:34:47 AM
Repeal state income tax
Ban Greyhound Racing
Decriminalize Marijuana
What's wrong with greyhound racing?

Daddy

Quote from: Sidney A. Stubbs on October 30, 2008, 04:46:21 PM
What's wrong with greyhound racing?
Issues with treatment of the dogs and/or gambling I guess.

ME##

Quote from: Kewn on October 30, 2008, 04:54:38 PM
Issues with treatment of the dogs and/or gambling I guess.

It's more of the former I believe, because once they become too old to race, not too many people want them so they end up being put down.

Go Up