September 28, 2024, 12:31:23 PM

1,531,324 Posts in 46,731 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

ponykiss purpose and mission thread

Started by Daddy, October 04, 2008, 04:41:48 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

The purpose of Outsider Boyah from before started pretty simply. NSider with naughty words. Oh, and if someone was going to be banned then at least make it humourous for someone else. Lawlz would ban them for a shitty reason

Times have changed, though. NSider is no longer, it's successors are large scale jokes of it that even the most seasoned Outsider Boyager can't possibly troll fail at trolling if he wanted not to. The lack of a suitable NSider makes our name less punny, for starters, and it goes without saying that the fall of NSider caused us to lose purpose as a community. is fucking hilarious.

That's not to say we were co-dependent on NSider; a parasite of the system as it were. We are not ticks or fleas on a dog, but more like a fucking weaselrash that got a kick out of running into the chicken coop to steal, devour or smash up the eggs. appearing on the penis. The chicken coop is gone, so now we're just a monstrous creative force with no direction. I've compared us before to a ship moving full speed with no rudder, it's still apt because we've got the power, we're actually moving, but we don't know where the hell we're moving to. Now the penis is amputated and we are just a skin blemish with no direction.

I admit that I've not been gung-ho about new projects or expansion because the thought of a huge influx of people would give us all sorts of hurt. Proportionately, though, with impressions on banner ads, that shouldn't be an issue now. It took awhile to get approved with an ad company that didn't smell funny. penis

So let's talk about why I'm posting this and then we'll talk about projects and throw up a poll. pretend i made a poll.

Everyone is talking about the economy these days and how bad everything is. In my own town we've had a commercial chain close it's doors yesterday and another one within the next few weeks putting some of our friends out of jobs. This doesn't count the year before where our two factories closed down one completely and cut hours and lines on the other. I myself have not seen such a lull in the telecommunications industry where people previously upgraded phones or added lines without second thought. These days, not so much. We did 17 total contracts last month. New and upgrade/renewals combined. Two years ago 17 contracts for me personally was a bad month. So you can imagine the morale when that's the total numbers of the department. Honestly? Things are not looking up. I'm lazy, give us money.

So manufacturing, retail, services ... these are all trouble spots, and as people refuse to spend money, will worsen. So what does that leave? Feel free to object, but I feel that people will always, always look towards entertainment.

In the Great Depression there was less of a focus on acquisitions and the American dream, but there was always a newspaper. Always the funnies. Always the, heh, penny arcade. And it was with the glimmer of the working man's eye the inspiration of an idea presented by someone in a medium that kept him going. Kept him looking for work, kept him clanking away.

I want our cynical asses to fill that role.

I think people will recognize that as it comes time to cut things coming into their home, it's going to be the cable before the internet. It's going to be the magazines before the internet. Newspapers before the internet.

The only problem is that people won't necessarily pay for content on the internet. Which is where ads and the like come in. Sure merch may help, but only for the most rabid of fanbases. But even more powerful is when you have large viewerships and are able to be sponsored, or have product placement. This I see as something worth striving for.

"Er, Phydeaux, JMV" you say, "we suck who would sponsor us"

Absolutely correct. So let's talk projects.

In the following posts we'll discuss what makes the most sense in terms of something concrete and something(s) experimental. For the former, what does the internet need another of that we can easily provide? Another conglomerate of webcomic artists and free hosting for those that want a home for their own? A Craigslist? A personals site? Collections and hourly postings of satire? Any of these things with a twist? Anything with a twist? NOT SUCKING

Then I'd like to look at the experimental. I feel with daily or twice daily updates, something like XBoxDEAD can pay Outsider's bacon. People who want to help expand on that concept or even have their own equipment to pull something off would be welcome to share. I'm also investigating machinima and where we might be able to go with that. If anywhere at all. Maybe there's a place for an army of blogging Maddoxes. Maybe not. Seriously, we need to stop sucking.

Discussion initiated. Watch this post for a poll which will then sprout more topics that people will tl;dr.

Thanks for getting this far.

-Phydeaux JMV

Feynman

FAMY2

russell

Paul

Samus Aran

FAMY2

Samus Aran

wawi

ME##

FAMY2

Nyerp

October 04, 2008, 07:57:13 PM #11 Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 08:00:41 PM by Nyerp
fugguck

the shortest route to the sea

I should go back to Outsider

but I just don't feel like it akuuuuuuu;

Quote from: Socks on January 03, 2011, 09:56:24 PM
pompous talk for my eyes water and quiver with a twitch like a little bitch

Ezloﺕ

:)

Nyerp

Quote from: Ezlo on October 04, 2008, 08:00:06 PM
you're on the AR list lol

fuck that fucking list