April 16, 2024, 07:33:43 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

So, I have to make a big decision...

Started by C.Mongler, July 27, 2008, 08:21:27 PM

previous topic - next topic

WELL

Military
5 (31.3%)
Debt
7 (43.8%)
Other
4 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Go Down

C.Mongler

..by pretty much the end of the month. You see I can get an ROTC scholarship to pretty much any school, which sounds nice, because I get payed 300 bucks a month just for going to school, and pretty much EVERYTHING is payed for. The downside being 1) I have to do training during summer times, and 2) I have a 4 year commitment to the military afterwords. Which could be considered a good thing too I suppose, since I would have a job right after I get out of school. Or I could choose the other route which would lead to me being able to do what I want with my life, but the two problems would be, no one in my family can afford college right now, so I'd be in insane debt when I got out, and two, there's not even a guarantee I'll get a job and might have to mooch off my parents for a few year until they kick me out after I finish school.

So which should I go with, military or debt. I don't really want to have military commitment, but I don't really want to have to pay back money especially when I might not have a secure source of income.

Socks

Military, you'll be an Officer when you finish and likely not be stationed to any active war front since in four years time everything should be settled. Besides the College and monetary benefits you get a host of lifetime benefits if you take advantage of what the Military offers.

C.Mongler

That's why I'm leaning towards military, but my dad has been an army dude his whole life, and I'm never really had any interest in it, and its not something I'd like to spend any part of my life doing, but then again its only 4 years...  >.<

Socks

I'd give quite a few things to instantly join the Military, but in my case family matters must take priority.

Also, if you like photography/filming you can specialize in that field and get a technical rating. You might get to make videos and such for the Army. With an honorable discharge and money to pursue further education it would certainly look good on any resume.

ncba93ivyase

Or you could just laze about a year or two after you finish high school, get a casual job, and save up a bunch of money and then go to college like a year or two later.

My father has served over 20 years in the military (like 11 in the marines until he was injured and booted out and has been in the army since) and he'd never want me to join because it's composed entirely of dumbasses like Socks. My father and I don't agree on much, but we've been saving up money for college and he thinks my plan for waiting at least a year before going is fine and joining the military would be the best way to throw away my life.
Quote from: Socks on July 27, 2008, 08:24:21 PMsince in four years time everything should be settled.
unless mccain becomes president because he'll be sucking israel's dick
Quote from: Socks on July 27, 2008, 08:30:20 PM
I'd give quite a few things to instantly join the Military, but in my case family matters must take priority.
that's a mighty fine excuse for COWARDICE

And if you ever would join the military, Mongoloid, have it be the marines. Everyone in the army is stupider and more immature than an eighth grader but at least a good chunk of marines are respectable people.

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Socks

Quote from: Lawlz on July 27, 2008, 08:34:10 PM
that's a mighty fine excuse for COWARDICE

I'm not explaining myself to someone with an ego far disproportional to his intelligence. Needless to say they must take precedence.

As for which branch to join, it depends on what he wants to do.

Samus Aran

And if you ever would join the military, Mongoloid, have it be the marines. Everyone in the army is stupider and more immature than an eighth grader but at least a good chunk of marines are respectable people.

People respect the Marines more because of what they do, not because "they're smarter." You know perfectly well that not every single person in the Army is retarded. Quit exaggerating so much in serious threads like this. It doesn't make you look any smarter.

As for which branch to join, well I'm not really sure on this, but doesn't it take a great deal more training to be in the Marines? The way Mongler speaks about this issue, it seems like he's not way too eager to train and stay in the military all that long.

ncba93ivyase

Quote from: Kazmuffin on July 27, 2008, 08:46:48 PM
People respect the Marines more because of what they do, not because "they're smarter." You know perfectly well that not every single person in the Army is retarded.
a good number of people aren't accepted into the marines because it has the highest standards of any branch of the military

literally anyone that's not disgusting obese or openly gay is accepted into the army

Quote from: ncba93ivyase on June 18, 2014, 07:58:34 PMthis isa great post i will use it in my sig

Samus Aran

Quote from: Lawlz on July 27, 2008, 08:49:22 PM
a good number of people aren't accepted into the marines because it has the highest standards of any branch of the military

literally anyone that's not disgusting obese or openly gay is accepted into the army

That doesn't mean everyone in the Army is just there because they can't get into something better or something because of their inabilities. Believe it or not, there are good people that want to serve in the Army.

C.Mongler

Quote from: Lawlz on July 27, 2008, 08:49:22 PM

good ill fit right in then

Selkie

Quote from: Vostroya on July 28, 2008, 10:03:51 AM
If it was me I'd avoid the Army at all costs. Four years is a big part of your life to waste.

Or it could be considered a useful four years. I don't really know much about what can be learned in the army but I'm sure there are plenty of fields to choose from and learn a good amount of valuable information, not to mention the physical strength you gain along with character.

Also, Lawlz is an idiot who really has no clue about what he is trying to insult.

Houdini

Or you could just laze about a year or two after you finish high school, get a casual job, and save up a bunch of money and then go to college like a year or two later.
It's not that easy. Correct me if I'm wrong, but last time I checked college was pretty damn expensive. You're not going to make enough money to get into a halfway decent college if you just spend a year delivering pizzas and smoking weed.

YPrrrr

If you want to do an ROTC and have the greatest odds of avoiding actual combat, go with the Air Force

Sam

I'd go with the debt, personally.

But I would never under any circumstance get involved with the military. So I guess i'm biased.
1.8mb is too huge for a sig nigga

:atomsk:

Hmm, i have a similar dilema. I'm going into my senior year of highschool, i am a Lt. Col and Deputy Corps Commander in AFJROTC, and i want to be a doctor. First 4 years of college are paid for, but med. school is expensive. I was thinking about going into the military and letting them pay for it, but the more i consider it, the more i feel like the military isn't something i want to do. I mean, i DON'T want to persue a military career at all! I think if you go into the military it should be something you WANT to do. Unwillingness to be there is what makes horrible teamwork, and makes you and people around you have to take anti-depressants.

I AM considering going to med. school, and then joining the Peace Corpse( W00T!W00T! ) and then with 2.5 years of experience in another country doing my job succesfully under difficult conditions, finding a good job with those crudentials, and paying off my med. school debt at about 8-10 grand a year. (hopefully)

p.s. :ATOMSK: HAS RETURNED!!

Go Up