March 28, 2024, 05:50:45 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Chōshū

Quote from: YPR on August 19, 2009, 09:41:00 PM
Last week when I was at the beach I went through "A Brave New World" and "Lord of the Flies" each in a day repsectively. I found it impossible to put them down... I really hadn't read for fun in quite a while and had forgotten how addicting it can be when you find something that interests you

I've always wanted to read Lord of the Flies  giggle;

I may pick that up from the public library some time soon.  I took out Brave New World a few months back but never finished it.  This was mostly due to my being very busy during the time, but I do plan on taking it out again and finishing the job.

Kalahari Inkantation

I recently finished reading The Kite Runner. I would have read through it nonstop if I didn't have to stop every few chapters to write about it. It was a really amazing book and I found that I had to tear myself away from it in order to stop reading. Now I want to read A Thousand Splendid Suns as well. n_u

next i'll be reading A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier, i don't expect it to be nearly as good akudood;

Andria

Memoirs/nonfiction other than science has always made me bored I just can't get into them the way I can get into a good fictional tale.

I gotta read the Iliad which I am not dreading just cause Greek mythology is pretty cool and its a good story

Commander Fuckass

http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

l a c e y

I read Paris Hiltons book. It was good.

Hiro

Quote from: laylay on September 01, 2009, 08:06:20 AM
I read Paris Hiltons book. It was good.

I feel this quote is perfect.

Chōshū

Earlier today I checked my e-mail and saw that I had a coupon for Borders (30% off any item) so I decided to go out and buy a book for when I finish with Broca's Brain.

Lately I've only been interested in non-fiction so I went through the philosophy, science, and psycology section, and after looking at some books by Frederick Zietzsche, Immanuel Kant, Carl Sagan, and several other authors, I stumbled upon "The Basic Writings of Sigmund Freud."  The only book of Freud's that I've ever read was "The Interpretation of Dreams" and while Freud doesn't have the poetic prose that authors like Carl Sagan has, I found the information in his books quite intriguing, and decided that I wanted to check out his other stuff.

This book includes the complete texts

Psychopathology of Everyday Life
the Interpretation of Dreams
Three Contributions to the Theory of Sex
Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious
Totem and Taboo
The History of the Psychoanalytic Movement

I guess I'll go in order, so the first book I'll read will be "Psychopathology of Everyday Life" then probably "Three Contributions to the Theory of Sex" since I've already read Dreams.

I originally was only going to get "Wit and Its Relation to the Unconscious" but it was $16 by itself, and the complete collection of his works was $27 so I just decided to get that....

??????

Quote from: Skylark on August 31, 2009, 06:34:25 PM
i'm waiting on two books to arrive

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
&
[spoiler][/spoiler]
I have the first book somewhere in my room.

I will read it once I am done with my symbols book.  hocuspocus;

Skylark

it's a great book. i hope you like it  giggle;
the book of right on

rdl

Read Huckleberry Finn if you hate yourself.

YPrrrr

Quote from: RDX on September 16, 2009, 01:36:44 AM
Read Huckleberry Finn if you hate yourself.
I've read it multiple times and never had a problem with it...

strongbad

Reading the Prince of Tides. It looks good and I need to read a required book for AP Psych.

Matt

Currently reading George Carlin's book, When Will Jesus Bring The Porkchops?. This is my second time reading it and it is even more funny the second time around.

Skylark

i read excerpts from The Psychedelic Experience last night while tripping with some friends (it was their first time) and I highly recommend its use as a guide book.

Also, The Electric Acid Kool-Aid Test
the book of right on

Go Up