April 15, 2024, 10:16:44 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Andria

I am a hugeeee book nerd it is pretty much the only thing I spend my money on.

Right now I am reading 3 books.

First I am reading Breaking The Spell Religion As a Natural Phenomenon which is pretty good so far.

Then I am reading The Divine Comedy which is really confusing and hard to read for long periods of time. Even when you do its kinda hard to get at whats going on for me at least.

Then finally yesterday I got Atlas Shrugged cause it was like 6 dollars at the bookstore on the mall and I have been reading that.

Skylark

is Atlas Shrugged the first Rand novel you will have read?
the book of right on

Andria

Yea it will be the first thing I have ever read from her.

The lady at the bookstore recommended The Fountainhead too if I liked this one. 

Skylark

yes yes yes
Anthem and The Fountainhead are both fantastic.
they are both my favorite by her.

i hope you like Atlas Shrugged so that you will read those two.
the book of right on

Andria

Quote from: Skylark on August 03, 2009, 12:29:56 AM
yes yes yes
Anthem and The Fountainhead are both fantastic.
they are both my favorite by her.

i hope you like Atlas Shrugged so that you will read those two.

I probably will lol mostly everything I read I enjoy and even when I don't I always give the author another chance. I just have to work it into my massive list of books I need to read.

I will let you know what I think when I finish it though

reeper

I started to read Haunted but it sucks, maybe if it were completely and 100% true I'd like it and didn't have shitty poems.

Selkie

Just finished [spoiler][/spoiler]

Pretty great. I was expecting a little more outrageous over-the-top life-changing extraterrestrial encounters though. Still great.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

About half-way through "Areas of My Expertise" by John Hodgeman

A note about Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk
[spoiler]The most unimaginative book I've ever read.[/spoiler]

Skylark

the book of right on

Zach

August 19, 2009, 01:20:56 AM #384 Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 01:41:45 AM by Zach
I'm reading a bunch of shit right now and I can't keep up with all of it:

- "Eat the Rich" by P.J. O'Rourke
- "The Proud Highway" by Hunter S. Thompson
- "Real Education" by Charles Murray
- "The Sun Also Rises" by Ernest Hemingway

Zach

Quote from: Cookie on July 28, 2009, 06:34:50 PM
I'm reading Crossfire by Jim Marrs. My first conspiracy theory book and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

I read a book not by Jim Marrs but one that heavily relied on his views.

He's fucking insane.

YPrrrr

Last week when I was at the beach I went through "A Brave New World" and "Lord of the Flies" each in a day repsectively. I found it impossible to put them down... I really hadn't read for fun in quite a while and had forgotten how addicting it can be when you find something that interests you

l a c e y

Crank by Ellen Hopkins. Someone here has probably read it. It was a very good book. About drugs obviously. I haven't read the second book yet which is called Glass. So I can't really say too too much about it.

Dark Secrets by I don't remember who it's by. It's about this girl who survived a killing spree someone had. Her whole family died and her brother was charged for the murder. She soon finds out that maybe it wasn't him that did it. Then each chapter goes to her in the present, then her mother in the past and her brother in the past and tells their stories on the days and day leading up to the killings. It's basically this girl who survived solving the murders of her family. It's really interesting and I'm not going to spoil the ending in case someone here want's to read it. I do suggest it.

Chōshū

This past week I've been doing a lot of reading.

I finally finished Cosmos by Carl Sagan and The Psychology of Dreams by Sigmund Freud.  Then I finished off American Lion by Jon Meacham.  The day after that I started reading A Clockwork Orange and I found it so amazing that I simply couldn't put it down and finished it within 20 hours of opening it.

Then last night I read the introduction and first chapter of Broca's Brain by Carl Sagan.  The small part of it that I read was absolutely stunning.  If I wasn't utterly exausted and falling asleep I would have most likely continued reading it for several more hours.  I can't wait to continue it later on tonight.

After I complete Broca's Brain I plan to next read Karl Marx's Capital Volume 1

Skylark

i'm waiting on two books to arrive

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
&
[spoiler][/spoiler]
the book of right on

Go Up