March 28, 2024, 05:27:38 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I am currently perusing "Our Dumb World" by The Onion.

Kalahari Inkantation

I'm one chapter away from finishing The Catcher in the Rye. At first I wasn't sure I'd like it, but honestly, I loved it. Probably the best book I've read since third grade. akudood;
also, first book to ever make me laugh out loud

Nyerp

Quote from: Charper on January 12, 2009, 10:15:41 AM
I am currently perusing "Our Dumb World" by The Onion.

holy fucking shit me too

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Nyerp

Classic

Skylark, I finally got to reading Howl's Moving Castle.
I've only read the first chapter and I'm absolutely in LOVE with it. Much better than the movie. wub;

Hiro

Just started reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. So far I quite like it. I wish I had the time and patience to read books but they just take too long

Skylark

Quote from: Forest Hiro on January 15, 2009, 09:23:22 PM
Just started reading Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead. So far I quite like it. I wish I had the time and patience to read books but they just take too long

eeeeeeeee

i love you forever
that book is so amazing.
i hope you really love it.
Quote from: Mr. Scatterbrain on January 15, 2009, 05:36:41 PM
Skylark, I finally got to reading Howl's Moving Castle.
I've only read the first chapter and I'm absolutely in LOVE with it. Much better than the movie. wub;

I'm glad you've started it! and that you love it so much! It really is absolutely amazing. I am only three or so chapters into Gone With the Wind but so far I can say that it is wonderful. I got sidetracked and read some short stories by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (also wonderful)

the book of right on

Hiro

Howl's Moving Castle is the only Miyazaki movie I've seen, but it was really good. I know, I'm way behind on everything, not my fault. Oh btw I also checked out The Old Man and the Sea but have yet to start it. Books intimidate me.

Skylark

Quote from: Forest Hiro on January 15, 2009, 09:44:32 PM
Howl's Moving Castle is the only Miyazaki movie I've seen, but it was really good. I know, I'm way behind on everything, not my fault. Oh btw I also checked out The Old Man and the Sea but have yet to start it. Books intimidate me.

The Old Man and the Sea is far less intimidating than The Fountainhead at least :) The Fountainhead is gigantic but so worth it and I am going to start rereading it.

Howl's Moving Castle is really amazing, it's probably my favorite Miyazaki film. This Sunday I'm rewatching Castle in the Sky though and I remember really enjoying that one, we will see!
the book of right on

Hiro

Really, I've heard it is one of his lesser works. Wait, how could you even think of rereading that monster of a book? O_0

Skylark

Quote from: Forest Hiro on January 15, 2009, 09:57:42 PM
Really, I've heard it is one of his lesser works. Wait, how could you even think of rereading that monster of a book? O_0

I just mean that it is smaller than The Fountainhead, therefore less intimidating

Actually, I think Ayn Rand in pretty much every aspect is more intimidating than Ernest Hemingway.
The Old Man and the Sea is a really good book, probably my favorite Hemingway (though I do like more) they're really manly books which is a bad way to describe it, but that's all I can think of.

I love The Fountainhead, it is probably my favorite book so rereading it really isn't an issue. Try reading Atlas Shrugged ;) that thing is a beast.
the book of right on

Hiro

Yes I know, I was referring to Howl's Moving Castle as one of Miyazaki's lesser works. The Old Man and the Sea looks very manageable.

Skylark

Quote from: Forest Hiro on January 15, 2009, 10:07:23 PM
Yes I know, I was referring to Howl's Moving Castle as one of Miyazaki's lesser works. The Old Man and the Sea looks very manageable.

Ooh I apologize, I got confused. I don't really see why... Everybody I have talked to (granted, that is probably four people) has really loved it. It's a really sweet story and I think it was done well. Everything was very pretty and the Moving Castle was SO cool.
the book of right on

Hiro

And wasn't Calcifer voiced by billy Crystal or am i mistaken?

Go Up