April 16, 2024, 07:25:48 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

LCK

Anyone heard of Lawrence Watson?
I chose to read his book "In a Dark Time" for a book report in English.

The book took place in a small Minnesota town, and centered around a man named Peter. He is a teacher at the local high school. There are murders taking place at the high school and such, but the book doesn't completely revolve around it. It's more a building block for the initial story.
I'm having a hard time describing it, but I really enjoyed it.

CruelPleasure

Anyone read Dragon Lance books? I've read about 15 of them and I love them to death.

reeper

Quote from: Colonel Sanders on November 21, 2008, 12:52:57 PM
Anyone read Dragon Lance books? I've read about 15 of them and I love them to death.
My friends love that series, I haven't.

I did find issue 7 of the comics and I gave it to my friend who is obsessed with Dragonlance and he was very happy. I also bought the first issue of Magic The Gathering's comic.

The Speaker Of Words

About a month ago, I read The Cosmic Serpent, DNA and the Origins of Knowledge by Jeremy Narby. It was about the author's experience with hallucinogens in the Amazon and how he found a link between shamanism and DNA. It's pretty cool.
I read Twilight about 2 weeks ago. It was decent at best.
I also read Angels and Demons by Dan Brown just a little while ago. This one was a lot of fun.
Currently reading The Da Vinci Code.

Lozal

I'm currently reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I went to the library to check out 1984, but they didn't have a copy at the moment. The guy working there recommended it and Animal Farm to me. Haven't read Animal Farm yet, but yeah.

Brave New World is very thought-provoking and interesting.

powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone; powerofone;

Quote from: Pyrate on November 20, 2009, 05:11:08 AM

"You have an amazing body. You have amazing breasts."

reeper

Quote from: lozalz on November 29, 2008, 12:49:14 PM
I'm currently reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. I went to the library to check out 1984, but they didn't have a copy at the moment. The guy working there recommended it and Animal Farm to me. Haven't read Animal Farm yet, but yeah.

Animal Farm is a GREAT book but only if you know a lot about the Soviet Union and communism. It's a children's story that tells the tale of the rise and fall of communism.

You can read the whole book and easily miss the meaning of it. Read Anthem, The Giver, and watch Equilibrium. All the same idea as Brave New World.

Samus Aran

Quote from: lozalz on November 29, 2008, 12:49:14 PM

While Brave New World is indeed good, 1984 is far better, if you ask me. And Animal Farm is another fine Orwell book.

Lozal

Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2008, 05:52:48 PM
Animal Farm is a GREAT book but only if you know a lot about the Soviet Union and communism. It's a children's story that tells the tale of the rise and fall of communism.

You can read the whole book and easily miss the meaning of it. Read Anthem, The Giver, and watch Equilibrium. All the same idea as Brave New World.
Oh, okay. I will.  n_u
Quote from: Kazmopolitan on November 29, 2008, 06:06:23 PM
While Brave New World is indeed good, 1984 is far better, if you ask me. And Animal Farm is another fine Orwell book.
I have 1984 on hold. I'll probably get it next Tuesday or so.

I'll probably read 1984, then Animal Farm eventually.

Lozal

I finished Brave New World just now. :3

It was such a good book. Kept me interested the whole way. <3

Now, onto either Animal Farm or 1984. Probably 1984 since I don't know much about the Soviet Union and communism. I'll have to get around and educate myself.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Just started reading American Psycho.

Then after I finish that I'll either start on Still Life with Woodpecker (or whatever it's called) or Brave New World.

Lozal

l a c e y

everyone should read the book tweak.
i hate reading, but i LOVED this book.
it's truly amazing.

reeper

Quote from: Sidney A. Stubbs on December 01, 2008, 05:15:41 AM
Just started reading American Psycho.

Then after I finish that I'll either start on Still Life with Woodpecker (or whatever it's called) or Brave New World.
I read the first 10 pages of Still Life with Woodpecker and felt really sick. I didn't enjoy it.

Samus Aran

Quote from: steal on December 02, 2008, 11:03:12 PM
I've been reading The Catcher in the Rye, not for an english class, but just because my friend said I would really like it. And I do, in fact, it's one of my favorite books I've ever read. I find I think really similarly to Holden, and it kind of scares me. befuddlement

It's probably a good thing if you can realize that you think like Holden, considering that one of the book's main points is that Holden has a lot of growing up to do...not that you necessarily do, but it points out a lot of things in his character that he needs to work out, at least.

But yeah, as I've said many times before, Catcher is my favorite book ever. Holden is easily my favorite narrator...he's certainly got a quirky aura about him.

me003

Lol i just got the thread title......because you check books out at a library.
Quote from: reefer on November 29, 2007, 11:32:08 PM
No offense to her but she kinda doesn't know crap about shit

Go Up