April 18, 2024, 05:53:11 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

russell

So I feel like science fiction lately so I thought I'd round out my reading of William Gibson, which so far has only included Idoru and Neuromancer. I picked up a $3.50 deal on eBay for The Difference Engine (steampunk novel) and Virtual Light ââ,¬â€œÃ¢â,¬â€œ almost new books, good deal. I'm excited to read them.

reeper

Started The Stranger today, I love the mood but I'm slightly disappointed at how fast the book is gathering together, I'm half way done but the plot just was finally laid out.

I love the main character very much.

Houdini

Quote from: russell on September 08, 2008, 07:05:54 PM
So I feel like science fiction lately so I thought I'd round out my reading of William Gibson, which so far has only included Idoru and Neuromancer. I picked up a $3.50 deal on eBay for The Difference Engine (steampunk novel) and Virtual Light ââ,¬â€œÃ¢â,¬â€œ almost new books, good deal. I'm excited to read them.
I thought Idoru was crap, but I might read it again to see if I was wrong. Neuromancer and Virtual Light great though. For the most part, his books get better and better with every year. I suggest reading All Tomorrow's Parties.

As for myself, I recently hit the nearest used book store and got some good stuff. I just finished But Beautiful, a book composed of seven or eight excellently written quasi-fictional pieces on various jazz musicians. Right now I'm reading The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac and am planning to read Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs once I'm done.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Quote from: Houdini on September 11, 2008, 07:37:30 PM

As for myself, I recently hit the nearest used book store and got some good stuff. I just finished But Beautiful, a book composed of seven or eight excellently written quasi-fictional pieces on various jazz musicians. Right now I'm reading The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac and am planning to read Naked Lunch by William S. Burroughs once I'm done.
Jack Kerouac is hard for me to get into. I tried reading Tristessa but it didn't capture my attention and was more of a chore to read than I thought it would be.

Houdini

Quote from: Joes Smiling Revenge on September 13, 2008, 01:00:39 PM
Jack Kerouac is hard for me to get into. I tried reading Tristessa but it didn't capture my attention and was more of a chore to read than I thought it would be.
Try On The Road or The Dharma Bums. They're much more accessible.

reeper

Reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, on chapter one and it's pretty cook. I don't know why but I can't get myself to read Norwegian Wood, probably because I've been meaning to read Dick's work forever now.

russell

What happened to book discussion? :'(

I was overcome with a desire to read books today, which is something that rarely occurs during the school year, so I decided to pick up The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein, since he's one of the alleged sci-fi greats and I've never read so much as a short story by him. I also ordered Gravity's Rainbow<i/> by Thomas Pynchon, since he's probably my favorite author besides Lovecraft and it's his most highly-acclaimed novel and I've never read it.

What'ch'all readin' boyay

>

reeper

Quote from: russell on October 12, 2008, 08:17:49 PM
What happened to book discussion? :'(
I've not been able to read because I've had so much homework and exams.

I'm still slowly reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?. Pretty awesome, bought Bladerunner on DVD too so I'll check it out as soon as I'm done with the book.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I've been reading two graphic novels because I need two Accelerated Reader points.

American Born Chinese, and another one about this kid who fishes at night in hawaii

They're ok.

Houdini

Quote from: Sidney A. Stubbs on October 13, 2008, 04:54:00 AM
I've been reading two graphic novels because I need two Accelerated Reader points.

American Born Chinese, and another one about this kid who fishes at night in hawaii

They're ok.
They make you do Accelerated Reader in high school? I stopped doing that after 4th grade.

reeper

I finished Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

The ending was so strange. I love the concept of Richard asking if what he is doing is right, if androids are so life-like that they sometimes don't know if they're even androids, is it fair to kill them? I thought the ending was going to focus on this but it was way different.

I also watched some of Blade Runner, it's so different from the book. Seems like they gutted half of the book out and I could imagine it's quite difficult to understand the movie without having prior knowledge of the book/movie. Watching it makes me want to watch Total Recall again, so fucking awesome.

I may read Ubik next, because it's also in the compilation of stories and it's suggested for first time Philip K. Dick readers.

Houdini

Quote from: reefer on October 14, 2008, 02:26:17 PM
I may read Ubik next, because it's also in the compilation of stories and it's suggested for first time Philip K. Dick readers.
Is The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch in the compilation?

reeper

Quote from: Houdini on October 15, 2008, 05:36:46 PM
Is The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch in the compilation?
Yes, as well as A Scanner Darkly

Counterfeit Unrealities is the name of the compilation.

Houdini

Quote from: reefer on October 15, 2008, 11:12:49 PM
Yes, as well as A Scanner Darkly

Counterfeit Unrealities is the name of the compilation.
If you end up liking Ubik, then definitely read Three Stigmata. It will make your mind explode.

reeper

Quote from: Houdini on October 17, 2008, 03:12:55 PM
If you end up liking Ubik, then definitely read Three Stigmata. It will make your mind explode.
Kind of want books exactly like how you explained that book. Awesome.

Go Up