April 18, 2024, 09:59:53 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Feynman

I never truly read a book all the way from start to finish.

reeper

August 25, 2008, 06:36:56 PM #91 Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 06:57:48 PM by reefer
Just finished Gathering Blue, it was okay. I don't suggest it though, not as good as many other books.

Quote from: Bassir on August 25, 2008, 06:21:46 PM
You should try it sometime.

Reading makes you smurt

Kalahari Inkantation

i sometimes read just for fun baddood;

reeper

75 pages into Eeeee Eee Eeee by Tao Lin, this book is very... different.

It's almost like Chuck Palahniuk's work but... a lot worse. Some parts are pretty cool because I can relate to his train of thought (which his train of thought is awful, he will move around different useless ideas). I plan on finishing it though.

It reminds me of The Science of Sleep. A very very awesome movie. Some parts are very dream like, added in for no obvious reason, at least so far.

Though this book is extremely strange and I don't even imagine how someone could hold it up so high. I can't describe it in many ways then just "bad". I plan on finishing it though. I'm still interested in it.

Skylark

is it worth checking out though? at least for that dream-like feeling>
I really enjoyed the sleep-dreaminess of the science of sleep
the book of right on

reeper

August 25, 2008, 08:34:44 PM #95 Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 08:38:03 PM by reefer
Quote from: skylark on August 25, 2008, 08:31:47 PM
is it worth checking out though? at least for that dream-like feeling>
I really enjoyed the sleep-dreaminess of the science of sleep

I'm not sure yet. I'd have to say no so far.

At one point he is in a car, he dropped off a girl. Then he says a bear comes over to him and he follows the bear down a ladder through a hole and stuff. I like the book in a way that you don't have to understand it all it enjoy it. I enjoy the book but I'm still not sure.

The truth is, you can't understand this book, it doesn't let you.

reeper

I don't know much about the book, but I plan on reading it next. Try House of Leaves.

I flipped through a few pages and I kind of smiled with joy. I love the book because unlike every other book in existence, you could never ever predict what the next page will bring.

You'll understand it if you see a copy of it.

YPrrrr

That explains a lot

Skylark

Quote from: reefer on August 25, 2008, 08:41:37 PM
I don't know much about the book, but I plan on reading it next. Try House of Leaves.

I flipped through a few pages and I kind of smiled with joy. I love the book because unlike every other book in existence, you could never ever predict what the next page will bring.

You'll understand it if you see a copy of it.

I think I'll have to look for that. You should try The City of Dreaming Books out some time.
the book of right on

reeper

August 25, 2008, 11:22:09 PM #99 Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:22:44 AM by reefer
Quote from: skylark on August 25, 2008, 10:31:46 PM
I think I'll have to look for that. You should try The City of Dreaming Books out some time.
http://www.amazon.com/City-Dreaming-Books-Walter-Moers/dp/1585678996

That? Why so expensive.

Oh because it's hard cover

Skylark

Yes, that and I have no idea why :/ I borrowed my copy from a friend so I didn't have to buy it... Weird.
the book of right on

reeper

Quote from: skylark on August 25, 2008, 11:27:48 PM
Yes, that and I have no idea why :/ I borrowed my copy from a friend so I didn't have to buy it... Weird.
Is it an actual book? His other work is cartoon work.

Also whats it about?

reeper

I just finished Eeeee Eee Eeee by Tao Lin. I can't say that it was even close to "good." It's very very very strange. At some parts of the book, you're thinking "oh god what is going on" and other parts you're thinking "oh what the fuck is going on."

The book doesn't really have a plot, just about a guy who over analyzes everything and is very depressed.

The best way to describe this book is that it's pretty much of what a dream is. A dream where not much makes sense, you shift from many ideas constantly. Not much makes sense (I have to say it again.) but sometimes the author starts to explain something that has very little to do with the plot.

The book has a lot of weird people and music just appear in the book. For no reason at all he talks about how a bear kills Elisha Wood. I read it in one sitting, 200 or so pages, I can't say that it's not interesting, because it is. Just not something that makes much sense.

Feynman

Quote from: Flying Circus on August 25, 2008, 09:12:00 PM
That explains a lot

I don't need to read shitty novels.

I'm way more intelligent than your ass by just browsing a few pages of Wikipedia.

superclucky

Quote from: Bassir on August 26, 2008, 11:09:33 AM
I don't need to read shitty novels.

I'm way more intelligent than your ass by just browsing a few pages of Wikipedia.
i thought reading increased vocabulary and creativity
kewns are smelly

Go Up