March 28, 2024, 03:53:16 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

just finished American Gods

10/10 book wish i had read it sooner. not usually the kind of book that i go after but i thoroughly enjoyed it

strongbad

Started 1q84

Have liked the one other murakami book I've read, am enjoying this one so far. Let's see if I can finish it tho lol

Samus Aran

i've read quite a bit of murakami, and enjoyed all of his work i've read thus far...but haven't gotten around to iq84 due to its length

strongbad

1Q84 was amazing you'd love it

Lots of people I've met get bored and dont finish it and maybe I didn't get bored because I've been camping almost every night and often without service BUT I loved the characters/plot/style. Rarely was I not engaged which is insane for how long it is

Reading Steelheart which is a cheesy X-Men like book my gf recommended. Will probably read Kafka on the Shore after I finish it to get more 'kami

strongbad

Steelheart was a fun cheesy sci-fi read

Just started Kafka on the Shore

strongbad

Quote from: antmaster5000 on October 02, 2018, 07:54:57 AMjust started Kafka on the Shore

damn that was a fucking crazy book. very similar to 1Q84 in some regards. ending got kind of weird and i think i need to read some analysis to feel like i understand the themes but it was a really good read regardless.

@kaz what murakami should i read next?

Samus Aran

uhh if you haven't read wind-up bird chronicle, definitely do that one next

if you have, then...maybe hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world

strongbad

Quote from: Samus Aran on October 27, 2018, 03:36:56 AMuhh if you haven't read wind-up bird chronicle, definitely do that one next

if you have, then...maybe hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world
haven't read wind-up bird chronicle. a good friend of mine also recommended hard-boiled wonderland and the end of the world, so i'll probably check that out as well. ty

Samus Aran

finished The Chrysalids

pretty darn good book. had potential to be truly great but was held back by a pretty predictable ending

darksouls

Quote from: Samus Aran on February 05, 2019, 03:16:10 PMfinished The Chrysalids

pretty darn good book. had potential to be truly great but was held back by a pretty predictable ending
Have you read The Day of the Triffids?

Samus Aran

Quote from: darksouls on April 30, 2019, 10:08:36 PM

you read The Day of the Triffids?

not yet, but it's on my bookshelf waiting for me

also hi welcome

darksouls

Quote from: Samus Aran on April 30, 2019, 10:10:32 PM
Quote from: darksouls on April 30, 2019, 10:08:36 PM

you read The Day of the Triffids?

not yet, but it's on my bookshelf waiting for me

also hi welcome
o!!

It's a cool read, I think you will enjoy it.

Daddy

Been reading a lot when in the China

The Dispossessed by LeGuin
The Communist Manifesto (because lol Marx) by Marx n Engels
The next revolution by Bookchin

darksouls

The Dispossessed is a boring book

strongbad

read The Name of the Wind

was recommended a lot by friends and i got it for christmas. super fun read, maybe the most invested i've been in a more traditional fantasy book in a long time. looking forward to reading number 2

Go Up