April 23, 2024, 06:05:38 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Thyme

been casually reading console wars by blake harris
the kindle version was really cheap - actually i think it still is

Thyme

just bought vonnegut's sirens of titan, which was on sale in the kindle store

Samus Aran

Quote from: Rhyme on March 21, 2016, 09:08:51 AM

sirens of titan is so great. vonnegut's first classic.

strongbad

hmmm i liked slaughterhouse v a lot (well what i understood i could probably read it again and get more out of it) and am curious about others

recommendations?

same with huxley, actually. island and brave new world are probably two of my favorite books and i haven't really heard anything about his other work. i tried to find some but no luck at the one english used book store in bkk ;-;

Samus Aran

My suggestion for Vonnegut is to at least read Cat's Cradle. Granted, there's still a lot of his work I haven't read yet, but for what I have read, that one is easily my favorite.

C.Mongler

just finished Brave New World for the first time in my life lol. it was pretty dang good, though it was kind of odd reading a 1930s view of a 2500s dysopian future in 2016. like the fact we have technology now that is just completely not in the scope of the worldview of the book. not that it's a bad thing and not that i didn't expect it, it's just silly to think of a music box as a FUTURE INVENTION when there's devices that are smaller than my dick now that can play music. i had the same problem watching soylent green the first time, for example. the themes were still quite relevant and interesting tho

next im probably gonna focus on playing Virtue's Last Reward on my 3ds since its basically a book in vidja form lol, then probably gonna knock out some of my graphic novel back log, probably Mizuki's Showa 3 next or maybe Birmant's Pablo

Thyme

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on March 21, 2016, 10:05:54 PM
Quote from: Rhyme on March 21, 2016, 09:08:51 AM

sirens of titan is so great. vonnegut's first classic.

yeah, i believe i added it to my wishlist per your recommendation lol

strongbad

yeah cats cradle has been recommended to me by other friends as well- i should really check it out

until then i'm reading "The New Media Monopoly" by Bagdikian
a book i was required to read for a journalism class years ago but never did but i kept it because it seemed interesting

so far it is mildly interesting

Socks

technoploy by neil postman

and

amusing ourselves to death by neil postman

both fortell of doom due to modern society and the kinds of minds it creates.

strongbad

those sound like books i'd like
i'll investigate further

Samus Aran

finished the first Foundation book today. finally. for some reason it took me weeks to actually start reading it at more than a snail's pace. i guess i just didn't much feel like reading this month.

anyway, i liked it quite a bit. if goodreads would let me, i'd give it 3.5 stars, but it won't so i just rounded it to 4. first and foremost, it's a really good example of excellent worldbuilding. through the various stories included in Foundation, Asimov really brings his settings and characters to life. though i have to admit that it took a while to get going - the first parts are a bit dull.

also, i see that for some reason silvertone really didn't like it:

strongbad

Lol damn I loved foundation
That's the book that made me interested in sci-fi. I couldn't really get into the sequel's though. I think I got like half way through the prequel

Socks

Quote from: antmaster5000 on March 25, 2016, 12:59:50 AM
those sound like books i'd like
i'll investigate further

i would highly suggest them. short little books written well and in chapters but will definitely give perspective and understanding to some of our anxieties and uncertainties.

silvertone

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on March 25, 2016, 03:33:48 PM
finished the first Foundation book today. finally. for some reason it took me weeks to actually start reading it at more than a snail's pace. i guess i just didn't much feel like reading this month.

anyway, i liked it quite a bit. if goodreads would let me, i'd give it 3.5 stars, but it won't so i just rounded it to 4. first and foremost, it's a really good example of excellent worldbuilding. through the various stories included in Foundation, Asimov really brings his settings and characters to life. though i have to admit that it took a while to get going - the first parts are a bit dull.

also, i see that for some reason silvertone really didn't like it:

i think I read too much scifi derivative of it, because i really hated how he built he worlds and wasn't a fan of the characters. I also didn't finish it but i wasn't into the plot itself. Honestly out of the big 3 scifi authors, only Clarke has shown any signs of literary merit IMO.

I also never been a fan of asimov as a person

strongbad

asimov heinlein and clarke?

i have read zero clarke but maybe i should

also silvertone you should check out some of asimov's short stories. i've found a lot of compilations at used book stores and i like them much better than is lengthy novels

Go Up