April 20, 2024, 12:08:26 AM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

finished The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying up
really enjoyed it
a lot of it was things that i've already come to understand as i've had an interest in minimalism for quite some time, but there were some philosophies that i really enjoyed

strongbad

got halfway through children of dune before losing interest. shame too since i was really enjoying the series.

however, i purchased and have read half of Island by huxley and damn what a good book. one of those books that makes me want to stop everything that i'm doing and work towards a better life

Samus Aran

I read the play Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead. Pretty funny Hamlet satire.

And now i'm reading another Murakami book, South of the Border, West of the Sun.

silvertone

Quote from: antmaster5000 on January 04, 2016, 05:44:41 AM
got halfway through children of dune before losing interest. shame too since i was really enjoying the series.

however, i purchased and have read half of Island by huxley and damn what a good book. one of those books that makes me want to stop everything that i'm doing and work towards a better life
island owns.

Samus Aran

i have Island on my list/shelf too but i just read Brave New World recently so i'll probably hold off on it for a bit

strongbad

They're extremely different books dude. I went into it thinking that they were sequels or something but they are only really related if you take Huxley's own ideals into account. If anything I'd recommend reading island asap. Makes me want to read a brave new world again

snoorkel

ME##

so thyme, when are you going to start reading hemingway?

Thyme

approx. when tec beats paper mario

ME##

Thyme

agreed, he should really get to it

TooB

Started reading Kizumonogatari

Samus Aran

so i just finished The Setting Sun, by Osamu Dazai. note that i haven't read his more popular novel, No Longer Human.

anyway, it was a fairly great little book, if you're into well-written accounts of utter hopelessness and constant barrages of depressing monologues and very  unfortunate circumstances. it's not a cheerful book, to say the least. but it seems to be dazai's usual thing, and he's really good at it. the protagonist's bizarre and really beautiful inner dialogue pretty much carries the entire novel.

still, the book is a bit lacking in some ways too, and there is an odd sort of disjointedness in the structure at times, some events seemingly misplaced. and i'll admit the protagonist's language becomes a bit stifling at times.

i had a bit of difficulty settling on whether to give it a 3 or 4 stars on goodreads, but settled on 4.

also i started reading Asimov's first Foundation book

Socks

a fucking federal mortgage rules and regulation booklet as well as UST test prep with state components. smithicide;

strongbad

Quote from: Socks on March 01, 2016, 09:01:57 AM
a fucking federal mortgage rules and regulation booklet as well as UST test prep with state components. smithicide;

that sounds horrid

there's some books i want to get my hands on but am unable to find in bangkok ;-;
mostly want to read more Huxley and I hear great things about The Culture series. Has anyone read it?

Go Up