April 16, 2024, 01:14:11 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

TooB

has anyone read or heard of The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie?

silvertone

Quote from: Jojo on August 12, 2015, 08:49:34 PM
totally forgot that I was interested in reading I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
yu should get Dangerous Visions. it is a collection of scifi made by ellison and it's all really good.

TooB

Quote from: fuchsmanguste on August 12, 2015, 09:20:41 PM
Quote from: Jojo on August 12, 2015, 08:49:34 PM
totally forgot that I was interested in reading I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream
yu should get Dangerous Visions. it is a collection of scifi made by ellison and it's all really good.
got it. its on my list now

Samus Aran

I ended up buying even more books today

VALIS, by Philip K Dick (they actually did have it there after all)
Kitchen, by Banana Yoshimoto
The Woman in the Dunes, by Kobo Abe
Survivor, by Chuck Palahniuk
Never Let Me Go, by Kazuo Ishiguro
South of the Border, West of the Sun, by Haruki Murakami
What is the What, by Dave Eggers
...and four of the five main books from Asimov's "Foundation" series. they were missing book #3.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Nice! I really enjoyed What is the What

Samus Aran

finished The Sirens of Titan last night. it was fantastic.

Samus Aran

next i will read Naked Lunch

TooB

Picked up the entirety of the scott pilgrim books for a total of 15$

Socks

Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on August 16, 2015, 06:44:24 PM

good luck. i have the book. tired to read it several times, just can't really do it. seems too fucking jumbled.
i'm from the camp where a word isn't wasted.

speaking of kafka, which Murakami book should i get first to pop my Murakami cherry.
i know i know, it just so happens i have read nothing by him.
the other day i almost got Kafka on the Shore and South of the Border, West of the Sun.
any good?

Samus Aran

Kafka on the Shore is great, but my favorite Murakami book is The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, and it was also the first of his I read. I feel like it's a much more "realized" story and probably a pretty good starting point.

silvertone

Quote from: Socks on August 21, 2015, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: Sakura Kinomoto on August 16, 2015, 06:44:24 PM

good luck. i have the book. tired to read it several times, just can't really do it. seems too fucking jumbled.
i'm from the camp where a word isn't wasted.

speaking of kafka, which Murakami book should i get first to pop my Murakami cherry.
i know i know, it just so happens i have read nothing by him.
the other day i almost got Kafka on the Shore and South of the Border, West of the Sun.
any good?
naked lunch is good, but cities of the red night is the Masterpiece.

has the cool bits of naked lunch but is a bit more coherent and 110% more boy pussy

snoorkel

naked lunch is too much of a drugs book and not really very good ltierature.

snoorkel

a novel:The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle byMurakami(paperpeck)

Samus Aran

Quote from: infinite luxury on August 29, 2015, 01:03:45 PM
naked lunch is too much of a drugs book and not really very good ltierature.

this is kind of what i'm getting

i appreciate the poetic writing style and the vibrant imagery but i'm not very invested in what i'm reading. it goes in my head, feels good for a moment, and then goes right back out and i feel like i'm just not getting much of anything out of it

it's proving difficult to read

silvertone

naked lunch is good humor. imo

which reminds me i read story of the eye and it was really "OK." i dont know if i 'got it' but it is a fukin sex/transgressive novel. ... all the critics compare it to sade and the only similarity between the two is that they both wrote about sex n rape. but sade is a lot better imo, he's funnier and more descriptive.  burroughs does the 'lots of sex in a book' better than bateille too for the same reasons.

:edit: i lied it is'nt for the same reasons as sade because buroughs isnt that descriptive on the prodigious size of ones member, or if the apple of their asshole has withered due to many peggings. burroughs is good cos he's funny but also has the craziest imagination i've seen in books.  like the part with dr. benway doing the surgery and it kills the patient, and he's like "There's really no point in doing this, it's just an artistic move." or w/e he says.... it's good humor. but the cut up novels pale to his pseudo-cut up novels

Go Up