April 15, 2024, 09:13:17 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

strongbad

snoorkel

i'm reading a cool 80s mmpb I found of foucault's pendulum

Socks

Quote from: ilovesloths on April 23, 2012, 07:54:31 PM
reading a brave new world

i loved that book. it was the only book in high school that i read cover to cover on my own initiative.

Patrick Stickles

Quote from: Haunter on March 29, 2012, 05:01:09 PM
checked out Catching Fire
was this any good because i don't know if i want to read this after the hunger games
What the fuck was it for anyway?

silvertone

don't let's

Anybody have some recommendations on some fantasy and/or sci-fi fiction? Preferably a series.

snoorkel

Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on April 24, 2012, 08:05:42 PM
Anybody have some recommendations on some fantasy and/or sci-fi fiction? Preferably a series.

scifi - foundation (asimov)
scifi - VALIS (philip dick)
fantasy - wheel of time (robert jordan)

those are the first good series that come to mind. there are a lot of surprisingly decent fantasy series set in particular mythoi, like warhammer or star wars, but you kind of have to be into one of them.

also you guys shoudl stop reading hunger games books...

Socks

Yeah anything by Philip K. Dick is worth reading.

strongbad

Quote from: Far Beyond Repair on April 24, 2012, 08:05:42 PM

foundation!

Quote from: H.P. Lovecat on April 24, 2012, 07:41:51 PM
yu should read Island too

okay

don't let's

Alright, thanks for the recommendations. I will look into those.

Samus Aran

So I finally got back into the habit of reading after a very long time of reading nothing at all. I kicked it off by reading Cat's Cradle, by Kurt Vonnegut. I have a few small complaints, hardly worth noting (partly due to laziness on my part), but all in all it was exactly the sort of whimsical, absurdist bucket of lies-as-truths that I needed.

It's a loose piece of literature, certainly not exactly a tightly woven, plot-driven piece...but that's one of the things I loved about it.

The whole concept of Bokononism is really what holds it together - without that, it'd be a collection of seemingly (mostly) unrelated happenings. Which is rather fitting seeing as how a karass works together unknowingly in the first place.

snoorkel

what's next on the docket kazzy wazzy tomatoes;

Samus Aran

Quote from: vziard on May 12, 2012, 07:32:57 PM
what's next on the docket kazzy wazzy tomatoes;

Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, by Haruki Murakami

Socks

I can see Kaz reading as being the sort of thing that is as exciting as two bricks laying next to each other in mortar, and then, just when you think the excitement has climaxed, here comes another layer of mortar and another brick.

Samus Aran

May 14, 2012, 09:14:29 PM #599 Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:27:46 AM by Cirno
Quote from: Socks on May 14, 2012, 03:49:27 AM
I can see Kaz reading as being the sort of thing that is as exciting as two bricks laying next to each other in mortar, and then, just when you think the excitement has climaxed, here comes another layer of mortar and another brick.

Uh...I have a pretty good feeling I'm exactly like everyone else who reads while I read, which is to say I look like someone who is reading. It's a pretty universal "look." Book in hand, eyes looking at page. You know.

Not sure where excitement comes in.

But if you're trying to imply that I don't enjoy reading, then let me say that I enjoy it very much, Mr. Socks. I generally love literature. I certainly would not liken it to something as dull as bricks or bricklaying.

Go Up