April 16, 2024, 03:07:29 PM

1,531,643 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Patrick Stickles

im reading on the road and it became clear to me at some point that jack kerouac is not so much a good writer as he is a good storyteller. it's a lot like one of my friends is just like telling me about this really awesome experience he had, but it's super long. but i like that a lot.
What the fuck was it for anyway?

burzumfan420

on the road is literally the best book of all time. (

Patrick Stickles

i mean it's really good but i don't know if i agree with you there at all

it has sections where it's like, wow dude, you're really fucked up and so are your friends

LCK

I just finished Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood

i liked it so much i just bought oryx and crake and am eagerly awaiting the Maddaddam novel to be finished

burzumfan420

Quote from: Patrick Stickles on April 13, 2011, 09:12:41 PM
i mean it's really good but i don't know if i agree with you there at all

it has sections where it's like, wow dude, you're really fucked up and so are your friends
Old Bull Lee wsa my fave char minus neal cassidy

Classic

Reading Wicked. It's heartbreaking. :'(

Patrick Stickles

Quote from: villinman666 on April 14, 2011, 07:44:53 PM
Old Bull Lee wsa my fave char minus neal cassidy
neal cassidy was a love and hate for me. sometimes he got way too out of hand, and i couldn't stand to read another word he said. but then he would come to appreciate certain things other people wouldn't that i do, and it was kind of relateable. so i dunno.

i don't think i liked characters as much as i liked the relationships characters had with each other. allen ginsberg and neal cassidy sitting on a bed cross legged talking to each other high on something or another was my favorite part in the whole book though.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Patrick Stickles on April 10, 2011, 02:23:01 PM
jack kerouac is not so much a good writer as he is a good storyteller

yes

yes

that is such a good way of putting it. though make no mistake, he is a good writer, just maybe not quite all he's cracked up to be, but goddamn does he tell a good story and that in itself is arguably more important in his case

Samus Aran

So I've decided to really catch up on reading this summer. I can't even remember the last time I sat down to actually read something that wasn't assigned to me in school. and I have so many of these literary "classics" sitting around that I never finished and some that I never even started.

On the summer reading list at the moment (and by list I mean literally just a stack of books on the floor) is...

Cat's Cradle (reading this now)
Sophie's Choice
Under the Volcano
Tom Sawyer (I read Huck Finn ages ago and it's wonderful, but never Sawyer)
Catch-22

That's just for now, though. In addition, a play: "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead." Also, a short story collection of J.D. Salinger's entitled "Nine Stories."

piano moths

Quote from: Tomoyo on May 10, 2011, 02:00:49 PM
blahblahblah

Cat's Cradle (reading this now)

blahblahblah Also, a short story collection of J.D. Salinger's entitled "Nine Stories."

what do you think of Cat's Cradle? Also... "Nine Stories" is incredible. "Teddy"... I'm sure you will love.
kill them w kindness

Samus Aran

Quote from: eeeeeee on May 15, 2011, 05:07:57 PM
what do you think of Cat's Cradle? Also... "Nine Stories" is incredible. "Teddy"... I'm sure you will love.

Well, I'm only about sixty pages into it so far, but I like it quite a bit thus far. If nothing else, simply for Vonnegut's way of writing. He's like a more refined Palahniuk or something. A certain mastery of the emphasized sentence fragment and the single-line paragraph, and a very flowing, very contemporary rhythm.

piano moths

Quote from: Tomoyo on May 15, 2011, 05:26:22 PM
Well, I'm only about sixty pages into it so far, but I like it quite a bit thus far. If nothing else, simply for Vonnegut's way of writing. He's like a more refined Palahniuk or something. A certain mastery of the emphasized sentence fragment and the single-line paragraph, and a very flowing, very contemporary rhythm.

Vonnegut is definitely talented. I really dig the story of Cat's Cradle. Vonnegut's life lessons.
kill them w kindness

burzumfan420

i finished Island by Aldous Huxley last night

CruelPleasure

http://dreaminglife.org/part-1-a-psychonauts-guide-to-the-invisible-landscape/
Psychonaut’s Guide to the Invisible Landscape: The Topography of the Psychedelic Experience,
Amazing book so far, just about half way done.

Kefker

Reading Fahrenheit 451. probably my favorite book of all time

Go Up