April 24, 2024, 03:05:01 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Wrench

Just finished within this past week:

Hush, Hush
Crescendo

Both by Becca Fitzpatrick, who I've met.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

Yeah, well I fucked Becca Fitzpatrick with her own book, and she signed it with her squirt.

also, I'm like halfway done with rereading Choke. Finished Fight Club maybe a month ago.

I really want a book that is overloaded with surrealist imagery, or a book about someone who leaves everything to be alone or something. Like those people who disapear without a trace, but I don't want to read about people trying to find him. I want to just read about the experience of the guy who disapeared. It's the only way I can get off.

burzumfan420

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

burzumfan420

the metamorphisis is a must read if you haven't already. that was a good book (it is surreal/lonely)
a lot of people say THe Trial is a great but i havent read it yet . I was going to after i finished the book im reading now.

Socks

'The Trial' is sublime, subversive as a melancholy rhyme, confined in nature and by time, like Man for solemn crime. Poor Mr. K. All he wanted was his breakfast. And he got a dark and insane world. A dream. A terrible, bizarre and vexing scene, where K. was dinner for the machine.

I was thinking of that story, about 'a White Heron'. The story of a rare and beautiful bird, out in the woods, hidden in its nest. One day at dusk, a hunter travels through this forest, as a little girl drives home her cow. He is shooting birds. The most elusive and desired being the Heron. For the young man, it would make a cherished possession, that he has seen fly before. The little girl knows of such a special bird too, though keeps the secret to herself. She accompanies the stranger during his hunts, but cannot stand the foul nature of his gun. He kills. Pressed to expose where the Heron lives, the little girl recoils and rejects the hunter's offer. His reward of 10 dollars is rebuffed. The boy leaves without his prize. Sadness beguiles the eyes. There is no longer a loud echo in the trees, silencing some unsuspecting bird or song. Only the stillness of the woods is there, as Sylvia walks and treads alone, hearing the chirping of her friends. A lonely heart in fiery pride. In the end all is well, for the story seeks to tell, of a girl who in love fell, by the lure of nature's spell, outside Man and his hand of hell.

[spoiler]http://www.public.coe.edu/~theller/soj/awh/heron.htm[/spoiler]

Nyerp

i am a heron. i haev a long neck and i pick fish out of the water w/ my beak. if you dont repost this comment on 10 other pages i will fly into your kitchen tonight and make a mess of your pots and pans

Socks

February 11, 2011, 10:35:12 AM #502 Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 10:42:59 AM by Socks
Cool bro. It's better to consume drivel and spew garbage, than to devour classics and radiate greatness, right? There is no need to make this personal, when we personally reflect all our choices, desires and principles. I feel comfortable with judgment, be it fair and broad, because my identity belongs to beauty and her eternal marvel. Be somebody. Not for the fame pleasure or gain, but for the benefit of yourself and that of your fellow man. It's one thing to act a fool among clowns, and quite another to jester an illegitimate court. The prevalent attitude of the present period sucks, frankly, with no regard for proper consideration through self worth and learned restraint, respect, for all that embodies the ideal, uncompromising, truth, which can be found most profoundly in the little matters of life. This is why I take such notable exception to abandonment of sense, appeal to ignorance, stupidity and simple childish charm. This is why I object to your worthless post above, am appalled by the kind of person it represents, and embarrassed for you. I don't expect an understanding, nor much care. I don't preach for a congregation. I speak for those happy few that will acknowledge, in passing silent glory, the force and veracity of my claim in this life, upon this world, and for you all.

Before I declare some sort of manifesto, I decline and withdraw.

So thanks for reading.

piano moths

I am currently reading Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut because it's one that I haven't read yet and I really like it. I like reading it before bed.
kill them w kindness

burzumfan420

i finished o n the road last [ b y ja k c  k e r u o so ac] NighT that is a really good book. a really good Book.

LCK

Currently reading Gone Tomorrow: The Hidden Life of Garbage for my English 111 class

god it's so boring akudood;

also Spiral Bound by Dessa
very interesting

Socks

started and finished 'the red badge of courage' last night. love it. but the ending was a bit obscure, as henry's reflection and ponderous internal anguish into resolve could have been elaborated upon a bit more, i felt.

Socks

been reading frankenstein" since about 7:30 this morning. wow. the first third was pure genius and engaged this soul as any written thing can. the middle part near the murder, presently my place, is not as such the page turner. but i shall continue on and finish it today. it holds promise of a grand conclusion and fantastic leg there. it is only vague upon my mind form all prior indirect reference of learning and experience. mary shelley deserves much honor... and gratitude.

Socks

so entire generations have lived and probably died with the knowledge of popular media that 'frankenstein' was so named a frightening monster of a dumb and dull disposition. created by a despotic and demented old scientist. damn, the truth is so much more intriguing!

Nyerp

i actually really liked that book thumbup;

Go Up