May 18, 2019, 11:16:30 PM

1,536,540 Posts in 46,083 Topics by 1,107 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.


Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Go Down

Selkie

Quote from: reefer on July 13, 2008, 12:09:30 PM



Amazing book. Fucked up as hell but it's great. Well-written, gripping and pretty hilarious at points.

Also, the eerie thing about it is that you will probably find yourself anticipating and looking forward to the next time he brutally murders someone or something.

it will mess you up, but hey, what's the point of reading an effect-less book

LCK

Quote from: reefer on July 13, 2008, 01:20:59 PM
I haven't read that one yet. I remember my friend was talking about a book before I even knew of Chuck Palahniuk. He was talking about that book because of the drain story.

I doubt it but are those stories true?

If you like that kind of work, stories that are pretty disgusting but true read I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max. It's about a guy who gets really drunk, which might sound stupid but the book is actually really awesome. He's probably the biggest asshole I've ever.

Or most of his stories are online but I find the book so much better. I read all of it on an airplane, the whole time I was reading it I was looking around and just laughing. Just looking at everyone around me, to see if they even had a clue at what I was experiencing. The book is much better to read in public if you can because it just makes the stories that much more disgusting or awesome or whatever.
The stories aren't true. They're all stories relating to each character, just giving a idea of why they're participating in the "retreat" that the book is pretty much all about.
I just finished it, though. And the ending kind of pissed me off. They're all a bunch of greedy, selfish, idiots.

I'll be going to the library tomorrow to return it, so I'll check if they've got Filth or I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.

reeper

Quote from: Selkie224 on July 13, 2008, 06:42:36 PM
Amazing book. Fucked up as hell but it's great. Well-written, gripping and pretty hilarious at points.

Also, the eerie thing about it is that you will probably find yourself anticipating and looking forward to the next time he brutally murders someone or something.

it will mess you up, but hey, what's the point of reading an effect-less book


I really looked for movies that would gross me out but there aren't that many, though I didn't look too far. I kind of like that sort of thing. There are some parts in Filth that I literary yelled "YES!" because it was disgusting.

Quote from: Trevie on July 13, 2008, 09:09:51 PM
The stories aren't true. They're all stories relating to each character, just giving a idea of why they're participating in the "retreat" that the book is pretty much all about.
I just finished it, though. And the ending kind of pissed me off. They're all a bunch of greedy, selfish, idiots.

I'll be going to the library tomorrow to return it, so I'll check if they've got Filth or I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell.
I don't suggest Filth (It's good but not great. If you can get past the funny slang then yes, you should read it) and I highly doubt they'll have I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. Go for Choke, Fight Club, Survivor, they are all really good, all by Chuck Palahniuk.

I also really love The Giver by Lois Lowry, it's such an original book.

On my to read list is: Cat's Cradle, Still Life with Woodpecker, The Perks of being a Wallflower, Gathering Blue, At The Gates Of The Animal Kingdom: Stories, 1984, and any book by Chuck Palahniuk I haven't read yet.

LCK

Quote from: reefer on July 13, 2008, 11:52:13 PM
I really looked for movies that would gross me out but there aren't that many, though I didn't look too far. I kind of like that sort of thing. There are some parts in Filth that I literary yelled "YES!" because it was disgusting.
I don't suggest Filth (It's good but not great. If you can get past the funny slang then yes, you should read it) and I highly doubt they'll have I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell. Go for Choke, Fight Club, Survivor, they are all really good, all by Chuck Palahniuk.

I also really love The Giver by Lois Lowry, it's such an original book.

On my to read list is: Cat's Cradle, Still Life with Woodpecker, The Perks of being a Wallflower, Gathering Blue, At The Gates Of The Animal Kingdom: Stories, 1984, and any book by Chuck Palahniuk I haven't read yet.
Last time I was there, the only other book the had by Palahniuk was Diary.
I'm still going to check for those other two anyway.

I read The Giver in my 8th grade english class. Hell, at the time I thought it was ridiculous. But looking back at it, I kind of want to read it again.

Selkie

Quote from: Vostroya on July 14, 2008, 11:31:56 AM
Those are all great. I do hope you've red Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Dick, though, and I'd recommend A Scanner Darkly (the movie) because it's Dick and also Richard Linklater is awesome...

Reefer, don't bother with The Perks of Being a Wallflower. A friend gave it to me as a gift for my birthday last year, and it's really just aimless shit for the masses... read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, it's pretty much the same thing except way better

Oh, also, I hope you enjoy American Psycho. It's brilliant, and the film adaption is almost as good. Be sure to see it.


Some of the movie scenes in American Psycho I actually like more, like the whole Paul Own scene and how they make it so he is casually talking about Huey Lewis while it is going on. Also, Christian Bale was pretty funny.


Also, Snorkel, I'm reading Entangled Minds. I'm almost halfway done. pretty good stuff thumbup;


As for what I'm going to read, I made a list of just a crapload of books regarding out-of-body experience and/or lucid dreaming. I seem to be into that topic as of late.

reeper

July 14, 2008, 03:33:36 PM #35 Last Edit: July 14, 2008, 03:42:31 PM by reefer
Quote from: Vostroya on July 14, 2008, 11:31:56 AM
Those are all great. I do hope you've red Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Dick, though, and I'd recommend A Scanner Darkly (the movie) because it's Dick and also Richard Linklater is awesome...

Reefer, don't bother with The Perks of Being a Wallflower. A friend gave it to me as a gift for my birthday last year, and it's really just aimless shit for the masses... read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, it's pretty much the same thing except way better

Oh, also, I hope you enjoy American Psycho. It's brilliant, and the film adaption is almost as good. Be sure to see it.
I've seen the movie American Psycho and loved it. Pretty much why I'm going to read the book.

I do like The Perks of Being a Wallflower, it's very casual and very straight forward. Though I do see what you're saying, I already read half of it. I kind of wanted a book to read today because I was answering phones in my dad's work. Which really consists of me just sitting all day so it was the only book I had to read.

Well besides Still Life with Woodpecker but I really had no idea what the hell was going on in it, I suck at reading so it didn't go over so well.

I also wanted to read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but I was scared it wasn't going to be as good because the only reason the movie was bad ass was because of the main character and his narroration. (I'm bad with actors so yeah)

Selkie

Quote from: Vostroya on July 14, 2008, 06:54:28 PM
That'd be Johnny Depp in the best role he's ever played.

Quote from: Selkie224
Oh, nice. I liked that book. If you're into the field theory/quantum thing try The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot, it's a classic and pretty intriguing... Brian Greene also has some good books.


I will definitely look into it

I read the beginning on Amazon and am already hooked. I'm gonna add it to my library waiting list.

Houdini

Quote from: Vostroya on July 14, 2008, 11:31:56 AM
Those are all great. I do hope you've red Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Dick, though, and I'd recommend A Scanner Darkly (the movie) because it's Dick and also Richard Linklater is awesome...
Also read the book A Scanner Darkly. It's one of Dick's best. I additionally recommend The Man In The High Castle, Ubik, and Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said.

reeper

Quote from: Vostroya on July 14, 2008, 06:54:28 PM
That'd be Johnny Depp in the best role he's ever played.

Quote from: Selkie224
Also, Snorkel, I'm reading Entangled Minds. I'm almost halfway done. pretty good stuff


As for what I'm going to read, I made a list of just a crapload of books regarding out-of-body experience and/or lucid dreaming. I seem to be into that topic as of late.


Oh, nice. I liked that book. If you're into the field theory/quantum thing try The Holographic Universe by Michael Talbot, it's a classic and pretty intriguing... Brian Greene also has some good books.
Oh yeah huh, I know who Johhny Depp is but he always is very good at looking completely different.

reeper

Just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower, I liked it but wish it had a little plot twist, like the person he was writing it to had been someone in the book that was important. Oh well, still a decent book.

I hope I can talk my mom into buying me some other books soon because I'm all done with the books I want to read that I have available to me.

Pele


Houdini

Quote from: Vostroya on July 14, 2008, 07:57:17 PM
Me too. All of Dick's works are on my shelf; no matter how much praise Asimov and other sci-fi classics get he will forever be the best.
How did you afford all those? He published a lot of works.

reeper

Quote from: Pele et al. on July 16, 2008, 07:15:09 PM
and
Both great books.
They both look so boring. Though I think every book does until you read it.

I'm going to get some books tomorrow, probably something by Palahniuk again.  befuddlement

Has anyone read Vurt by Jeff Noon?

reeper

Quote from: Vostroya on July 16, 2008, 10:55:23 PM
there are three things I spend money on

1. books
2. warhammer
3. gas

and like netflix

Reefer, I've never heard of that

I think it's up your alley but I've never read it so I don't know if it's good but I've heard that it is.

QuoteVurt tells the story of Scribble and his "gang", the Stash Riders, as they search for his missing sister Desdemona. The novel is set in an alternate version of Manchester, England, in which society has been shaped by Vurt, a hallucinogenic drug/shared alternate reality, accessed by sucking on colour-coded feathers. Through some (never explained) mechanism, the dreams, mythology, and imaginings of humanity have achieved objective reality in the Vurt and become "real".


Jesus, Dick has 48 books. Thats a lot, and that's only his books, not including all the short story books he has.

reeper

Quote from: Vostroya on July 16, 2008, 11:09:39 PM
Looks interesting. I'll add it to my list... but my list is about as long as my Netflix Queue (58 right now)  doodthing;


And they're all good. giggle;
If you could only read one of them, which would it be? I'd like to check him out.

Go Up