March 28, 2024, 04:23:04 PM

1,531,609 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

reeper

OH GOD FILTH IS SO HARD TO READ, this is one of the sentences from it:

"Huv tae fix ye up wi ma sister-in-law again, eh Ray!"

And this happens everytime someone talks.

reeper

Quote from: Vostroya on July 02, 2008, 11:52:44 PM
Have to get you together with my sister in law again, eh Ray?
I know what he says, I understand it, just takes like 3 more seconds then usual.

KonohaShinobi

Quote from: reefer on July 02, 2008, 11:46:31 PM
OH GOD FILTH IS SO HARD TO READ, this is one of the sentences from it:

"Huv tae fix ye up wi ma sister-in-law again, eh Ray!"

And this happens everytime someone talks.

Jesus christ, is the content any good, at least?

reeper

Gin

I'm currently reading this, [spoiler][/spoiler] if it's good[and so far it is] I'll continue with the rest of the series.

Socks

Currently reading this book.

Shows some of the roots of todays most prominent scientific and cultural developments.

reeper

Still reading Filth, I bought Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk for my next book a while ago.

Saw this on Wikipedia, thought it was pretty funny since the title of the book is so perfect. "Filth is a derogatory UK English slang term for the Police."

reeper

Quote from: Prince Lelouch on July 03, 2008, 12:31:50 AM
Jesus christ, is the content any good, at least?
It's pretty disgusting.

The most memorable disgusting part went something like this.

The main character, Bruce, is a police officer or something. He snort some coke with his co-worker. Then they break into this guy's apartment who they know somehow. Bruce asks if he has a bedroom. The guy who owns the place says "yeah... but someone is in it right now"

Bruce doesn't care, he walks into the room to find a girl, the owner's girlfriend. Bruce asks how old she is, she says 16 (age of consent where the book takes place) and he asks if it's true while looking at her purse. She says shes actually 15, making it illegal for her to sleep with the owner. Bruce then grabs the purse knowing there is something in there that shouldn't be.

He pulls out some E pills. And Bruce goes off on her telling her that it is illegal.

Bruce walks to the living room and discusses it with the owner. Then for about four pages explains what it will be like in prison, a long story about a guy called The Beast who will sodomize you in prison.

Then Bruce goes back to the room to find the girl with her clothes fully on now. Bruce asks who her dad is, her dad has something to do with a church if I remember.

Bruce says that she has to suck his dick or he will tell her father and file a report.

He pulls down his pants, his dick has sores on it from eczema. She sucks off his disgustingly red sore dick. Ask she does, he tells her to suck it off like it was her boyfriend's. Then tells her that she has to suck off harder or else he will tell her dad as she is sucking him off.

He pulls up his pants and leaves her in that room.

Bruce then tells his partner that they're done here and stuff. As they leave Bruce says to the owner that his girlfriend sucks at blowjobs. Then they leave. On the way out Bruce and his partner give eachother high fives.

I like it

reeper

Filth was a good book, the book dragged on in the middle, with lots of details that really didn't add too much to the story. Really, the book could have been 100 or so pages and would have been many times better. I do not like that his history of why he is so screwed up is only in the last 40 or so pages but those last pages are pretty awesome. The ending was actually really really cool.

I actually don't think it's as graphic as Snuff. Some parts are pretty graphic but Snuff is way way more disgusting and graphic over all, but probably not as good as Filth.

I don't know if I will read another book by Irvine Welsh (author of Filth) because his books are quite big and this one had a lot of "okay i get the point" material, and plus his slang kind of makes some parts of the book very confusing, making you read it quite a bit slower then usual.

LCK

The discussion of Chuck Palahniuk intrigued me. I decided to re-watch Fight Club last night. Brilliant.
I stopped at the library today to check what they had from Palahniuk. I was hoping to get Fight Club, because I was interested to see how much it differed from the movie. Unfortunately, the item was "missing." The only books they had were "Haunted" and "Diary." Out of the two, "Haunted" looked the most interesting, so I got that.

I'm only 22 pages in, and already there's a child who sticks a carrot up his ass to attempt to achieve an anal orgasm. Then there's another kid who slips a hardened piece of wax into his urethra before masturbating to "intensify" the orgasm, I guess.
And last, there's a 13 year old who masturbates in his family pool, and sticks his ass in the drain or whatever. Without even realizing what's going on, his intestines literally begin to come out of his ass. It's very vivid and disgusting, but I didn't want to stop reading.

Samus Aran

Quote from: Vostroya on July 12, 2008, 07:07:43 PM
At least watch Trainspotting. It's a great movie.

God, yes. I just watched that a few days ago, really late at night. Good stuff.

As for books, I've been pretty lazy and haven't really read anything recently. I was working on reading The Catcher in the Rye for the umpteenth time, but never really finished it this time.

LCK

Quote from: Kaz on July 12, 2008, 10:32:48 PM
God, yes. I just watched that a few days ago, really late at night. Good stuff.

As for books, I've been pretty lazy and haven't really read anything recently. I was working on reading The Catcher in the Rye for the umpteenth time, but never really finished it this time.
For the life of me, I cannot re-read a book.

Houdini

I've been tearing through books lately. In the past few weeks I've read VALIS by Philip K. Dick, Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card, The Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov, and All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson, plus I re-read The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

As for Palahniuk: I've been avoiding him, because it sounds to me like he writes "edgy" books just for the sake of being edgy.

Quote from: Trevie on July 13, 2008, 12:04:56 AM
For the life of me, I cannot re-read a book.
Then you probably haven't been reading good enough books.

reeper

July 13, 2008, 12:09:30 PM #28 Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 12:33:01 PM by reefer
I ask my friend to suggest me some books, she let me barrow The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky and Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins

And I just ordered The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster by Bobby Henderson, American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis, and Rant: The Oral Biography of Buster Casey by Chuck Palahniuk

Some of the covers of his books are beautiful, I really like the cover of Survivor, it's really shiny and it has a plane on the front, but the plain has roses all over it and it looks like a cross. All of those are themes in the book.

Quote from: Houdini on July 13, 2008, 12:32:13 AM
I've been tearing through books lately. In the past few weeks I've read VALIS by Philip K. Dick, Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card, The Robots of Dawn by Isaac Asimov, and All Tomorrow's Parties by William Gibson, plus I re-read The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick and Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut.

As for Palahniuk: I've been avoiding him, because it sounds to me like he writes "edgy" books just for the sake of being edgy.

Then you probably haven't been reading good enough books.
I've been wanting to read Cat's Cradlebefuddlement

As for Palahniuk, you described Snuff perfectly but Survivor isn't that way.

Quote from: Vostroya on July 12, 2008, 07:07:43 PM
At least watch Trainspotting. It's a great movie.
I plan to. I liked Filth but not enough to explore his other work in book form at least.

reeper

Quote from: Trevie on July 12, 2008, 06:50:24 PM
The discussion of Chuck Palahniuk intrigued me. I decided to re-watch Fight Club last night. Brilliant.
I stopped at the library today to check what they had from Palahniuk. I was hoping to get Fight Club, because I was interested to see how much it differed from the movie. Unfortunately, the item was "missing." The only books they had were "Haunted" and "Diary." Out of the two, "Haunted" looked the most interesting, so I got that.

I'm only 22 pages in, and already there's a child who sticks a carrot up his ass to attempt to achieve an anal orgasm. Then there's another kid who slips a hardened piece of wax into his urethra before masturbating to "intensify" the orgasm, I guess.
And last, there's a 13 year old who masturbates in his family pool, and sticks his ass in the drain or whatever. Without even realizing what's going on, his intestines literally begin to come out of his ass. It's very vivid and disgusting, but I didn't want to stop reading.
I haven't read that one yet. I remember my friend was talking about a book before I even knew of Chuck Palahniuk. He was talking about that book because of the drain story.

I doubt it but are those stories true?

If you like that kind of work, stories that are pretty disgusting but true read I Hope they Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max. It's about a guy who gets really drunk, which might sound stupid but the book is actually really awesome. He's probably the biggest asshole I've ever.

Or most of his stories are online but I find the book so much better. I read all of it on an airplane, the whole time I was reading it I was looking around and just laughing. Just looking at everyone around me, to see if they even had a clue at what I was experiencing. The book is much better to read in public if you can because it just makes the stories that much more disgusting or awesome or whatever.

Go Up