April 24, 2024, 01:08:55 PM

1,531,645 Posts in 46,729 Topics by 1,523 Members
› View the most recent posts on the forum.

Books - check them out

Started by reeper, June 26, 2008, 02:16:40 PM

previous topic - next topic

Go Down

Daddy

Quote from: Bassir on August 26, 2008, 11:09:33 AM
I don't need to read shitty novels.

I'm way more intelligent than your ass by just browsing a few pages of Wikipedia.
In other words you're a pseudo-intellectual. 

reeper

Quote from: Purloiner of Hares on August 26, 2008, 04:58:23 AM
that kind of thing is better suited for a movie, I think

It really is. If this were a movie, it would be so incredible, but the book isn't.

I started to read House of Leaves, my friend was explaining it and I noticed that it's much like The Lion, the Wtich, and the Wardrobe. Of course I said this jokingly.

But really this book is awesome, the way the book looks, and presents itself, makes it seem like a very very true story. Citations of people who never lived, quotes that never have been said, and talking about movies that never existed. I'm only about 20 pages in though. Not only does the book have lots of pages but it also has large pages.

I'm way more intelligent than your ass by just browsing a few pages of Wikipedia.
I used to think that novels were shitty. I was just reading the wrong ones. There is some extremely creative and awesome pieces of work out there. You don't have to look too hard to find it either.

reeper

I like to list stuff. Here is a list of books I've read recently.

I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell by Tucker Max
Filth by Irvine Welsh
Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry
Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
Choke by Chuck Palahniuk
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk
Rant by Chuck Palahniuk
Snuff by Chuck Palahniuk
Eeeee Eee Eeee by Tao Lin
The Husband by Dean Koontz

Houdini

If you were really smart, you wouldn't spend so much time bragging about it to people on the internet.

reeper

August 29, 2008, 07:48:15 AM #109 Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 07:53:01 AM by reefer
Instead of sleep I read House of Leaves for about 5 hours.

This is the most beautiful book I've ever read. It's like reading five different novels at once. Sometimes it's a horror story, sometimes it's a love story, sometimes it's an in depth informative article, and sometimes it's just about some guy getting his dick sucked.

I'm finally getting to the cool text and weird things Mark Z. Danieleski does with the format (at about page 130 or so). He uses such cool ass words I've never heard of before. My favorite so far is "tenebrific" meaning "producing darkness."

Has anyone heard of or read Only Revolutions? I haven't but I looked into it. He wrote it so carefully, he never once uses the word "or" because of significance I don't yet know of. As well as the obvious upside down, right side up use of words. Each page has exactly 180 words on it, and the book totals to 360 pages.

The Hand That Fisted Everyone

I've been reading It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

It's actually a really enjoyable book, I relate a lot to Craig Gilner (The Main Character).

Also, It's the first book I've had to use context clues to find out what they mean.

Kalahari Inkantation

I finished A Separate Peace yesterday. It wasn't as bad as I had first said, but it could have been better. I thought it was pretty confusing, though. befuddlement

LCK

I'm reading To Kill A Mockingbird for school :|

reeper

September 03, 2008, 08:47:45 PM #113 Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:51:26 PM by reefer
Still reading House of Leaves. On page 500 or so, this book is so awesome. Some parts drag on about scientific research done to the house, or details about a small detail. I  hate that I have to read it but I like that it's there, I mean this is probably the best put together book I've ever read or seen.

The way the book is presented, it seems as if it is all facts.

[spoiler]I just got to the part on how Will Navidson just reached light inside of the house[/spoiler]

Though parts of the book get pretty confusing pretty fast, it's an excellent book. When the main charater Will is in a tight spot, so are the words on the page. It can be pretty tough to read these parts but thats the point.

If the character is falling or climbing, so are the words you're reading. I hope to finish it tonight.

My friend let me borrow two books:

The Stranger by Albert Camus
Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami

I plan on reading these two then probably some Philip K Dick stories.

YPrrrr

Thanks for the laughs

Commander Fuckass

The Alphabet of Manliness-Maddox

Bought it today, its pretty hilarious so far
http://psnprofiles.com/TheMaysian][/URL]3DS Friend Code: 5086-5790-7151

Houdini

Quote from: Kefka on September 05, 2008, 06:00:26 PM

The lack of an apostrophe in "its" makes me die a little bit on the inside.

reeper

I was thinking of buying it. Will check it.

Samus Aran

My friend Kevin has it. It's mildly amusing, but not really worth a buy if you ask me.

reeper

I just finished House of Leaves.

My copy contains The Whalestoe Letters, it's 80 pages of letters that have to do with the book. The first copies of House of Leaves didn't contain these I suppose.

Go Up